Homeland, California. No Mans Land for Phantom Pilots

Reaction score
I am an 84 year old retired photographer. I live in Homeland, California, where we have as many quad pilots as we get rain. NO, I have to take that back. We get a little piddling rain maybe once or twice a year, but we have absolutely no quad pilots whatsoever for as many as 50 or more miles around, as near as I can tell. And I wouldn't dare narrow it down to Phantom pilots because I know there ain't any of those around, except for me. Where the heck are all the new retirees who don't want to sit on a park bench and feed the ducks? All those who want a challenging and satisfying hobby like aerial videography.

Seek them out and explain to them that their life isn't over, it could have a new beginning. If you know anyone like that who lives in the Homeland-Hemet area, tell them I want to start an Over The Hill Multi-Rotor Aircraft Association just for retired people who still have a creative imagination no matter what their "well-meaning" relatives tell them about the "home" not really being all that bad and all they have to do is adjust. The home is still where the heart is and flying quadcopters can take the heart soaring into the clouds and bring satisfaction they never knew existed.

But I don't have to tell that to anyone reading this. Anyone reading this already knows. So, let everyone know that even if you are old, you can still fly above this sad old globe called earth.

You are preaching to he choir, old man, LOL I'm a 75 year old Phantom Phlier who joined an RC club with a great airfield above which to do our thing. Oh and one more thing...though my Phantom isn't pink, I am female ! :lol:

I humbly apologize. I in no way meant to ignore the distaff side. I just never realized there was one as far as quad flying was concerned. Since I have been completely unable to find anyone old or young in my area who even knows what a quad is I unthinkingly omitted the possibility of a woman quad pilot.

Apology accepted. FYI I have some info from a trusted source that DJI is contemplating a campaign to encourage the "distaff" side of all ages to participate in Phantom flying. My decidedly warped sense of humor keeps threatening to paint my Phantom pink. :p

I must be the youngster of the group. I am 65 and discovered the Phantom at IRCHA in Muncie In. in July of this year and have been flying it almost everyday since. My neighbors are awed by it.

Now, just waiting on the Vision.

Chuck In Columbus, Oh.

I cannot calibrate my compass properly because the MOD compass reading in Assistant Software v2.18 does not fit properly into the MOD window. The MOD window in Colin's tutorial is as wide as the XYZ windows and allows for the full reading to be displayed. The MOD window in my v2.18 download is too narrow to display the full reading. What must I do to widen the MOD window? Can you link me to the Assistant Software download that Colin used in his tutorial, the one that has the proper MOD window?

Surely someone must have noticed this discrepancy. Am I the only one to have complained of this? :evil:

I'm 60, and just started flying quads, although I have a fair amount of past experience with RC planes and a .60 size heli. I have to agree, sitting around watching TV is not MY style...I'll be doing something...and this is a fun and affordable something to do.

The Phantom is a fine machine. More than fits my current needs and abilities...but I can see a custom build in my future once I regain my piloting acumen. Maybe we can meet somewhere out west and fly together. I love to hike in Sedona, AZ. Probably not a bad place to fly, either.

PF

tpetro said:
Try changing your computer displays resolution either higher or lower.

How can this affect the size of the MOD window in the Assistant Software program? I can see how it might affect the size of the font, but wouldn't the size of the MOD window be determined by the design of the program?

Sometimes yes, there are issues related to programs designed for due screen resolution or size and it doesn't fit properly if you use a different one. Maybe it is not the case, but you don't loose anything trying. Good luck!

Alberto

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic