Home Verification - App Functionality badly needed

Reaction score
I was reading a lot of the posts regarding fly aways, it seems to me a badly needed feature of DJI's app of if someone that has knowledge can build would be the following:

In-App: Once the Phantom registers its home coordinates, there should be an option to pull up a google map with home location on it, just to verify that it is actually where you are standing or maybe even a HUD overlay of a map with that home point on it possibly overlaid for approx 10 - 15 secs, saying something like (home point registered)

Sound simple to me, but im no programmer and i guess it would have to cache a map of the area.

Just a suggestion in case someone from DJI is actually listening.

The iOSD shows the distance from the home page on the monitor on the phantom 2 with Gopro. I guess adding this functionality to the app wouldn't be too difficult...

The App shows distance from Home as well...but if it is not registering the home coordinates correctly, it could think its home and current positiong is miles away.

What I want to verify is the actual home coordinates on a map, not what it thinks its distance is from home.

Ahh I see the point...

I wonder if the altitude would help.. I'm guessing this is calculated based on GPS as I don't think it has a barometric altimeter so if the height/altitude is registering correctly, can you assume the home point is correct?

HeliTV said:
Ahh I see the point...

I wonder if the altitude would help.. I'm guessing this is calculated based on GPS as I don't think it has a barometric altimeter so if the height/altitude is registering correctly, can you assume the home point is correct?
From the NAZA Specs...

All-in-One Design

NAZA simplifies installation and saves space and weight. With the innovative All-in-One design, NAZA contains inner damping, controllers, 3-axis gyroscope, 3-axis gyroscope and barometer in its light and small Main Controller.

Geo

The feature u described is not available within the find my phantom apps? I thot it is.... If I remember I saw one video showing google map of home location and his phantom...as the phantom was flying..seems quiet accurate.

So as u know he tested the "find my phantom" to verify the accuracy n not testing it when it is already gotten lost.

Porthos said:
I was reading a lot of the posts regarding fly aways, it seems to me a badly needed feature of DJI's app of if someone that has knowledge can build would be the following:

In-App: Once the Phantom registers its home coordinates, there should be an option to pull up a google map with home location on it, just to verify that it is actually where you are standing or maybe even a HUD overlay of a map with that home point on it possibly overlaid for approx 10 - 15 secs, saying something like (home point registered)

Sound simple to me, but im no programmer and i guess it would have to cache a map of the area.

Just a suggestion in case someone from DJI is actually listening.

Man, what I can tell you is that this feature will be available after P2V/V+'s ground station feature is added to the DJI Vision app,,,,,,,, which is supposed to be released in a few weeks.

Yea, the home position verification is not available in the current dji aps. I was confused wt the video in here. The blue dot just show where the phone is/where u r.

~~~~~~~
In case some did not see this test yet..watch minute 6 of the video - he uses/test "find my phantom" during in flight.

Also watch at end of videom.tested on one phone can b connected at one time. No one can get connected once u/I is still connected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpL_zoDAXjo

You would think it would be an easy feature to incorporate into the app, and a safety check.......just get a visual check of its home point before you fly, then at least you know it wasnt that if it wanders off into the distance !

Seems there is almost a case for the app to give you a small checklist of pre flight checks for you to confirm before it will let you fly......just thinking outside the box lol

:lol:

I'd like to just see verification on the App that you have acquired home point. Maybe a red light/green light cue. I know if your lights are blinking slow green, all should be well... I'd still like to see verification...

-slinger

good idea there..a system controlled checklist in the apps..some normal consumer tend to forget or hard to remember (i have problem with the LED light combination check list. Manual checklist may not be in the apps. I second that notion.

edit:
home point verification included in the apps. If user moves the phantom to another location from its original point, the apps will do this.

1. Home Point Verification: Searching.......
2. Once it has a new home point, it will say " Home Point Verification: Lat and longt

Maybe when the Phantom is still on the ground and doesn't have GPS lock they could make it so that you would need to click an 'Acknowledge' button before it would allow flight.

yeah. the apps can have more intelligence and i think most importantly, it needs more extensive testing for all the additional apps features that was highlighted. data logger with time stamp may point where the fault is ie. in a flyaway, either the user or DJI themselves. It may be a disadvantage for dji if the data logger shows DJI system is causing the flyaway midflight - ie. it looses signal, it looses home point etc..however if they test it extensively, it may be otherwise. Furthermore, with all the features mentioned, the development cost may be higher and in the end, the cost will be passed back to the consumer..more expensive than what it is priced now (as opposed to high return and fixes)..

DJI should look into this and do the maths between additional development to make it more reliable proof against fixes, flyaways arguements, replacement etc.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4