home made field monitor

Reaction score
i've got a big car meet coming up & they expect me to be in the air alot of the time, & with me soon getting a pair of Dominator goggles i thought i'd do something for anyone who wanted to see whats going on. So i robbed a 19" monitor off my bro (to be powered by a mains invertor inless i can bypass the internal powerpack), made a bracket at work to mount it onto a tripod i've got. & an attachment to mount the Black Pearl i've already got. I've ordered a hdmi to dvi-i adaptor so can wire it straight into the Black Pearl, looking forward to trying it out

IMG_2072_zpse9b2fdef.jpg

IMG_2073_zpsb26b6715.jpg

I wouldn't use a tripod - I guarantee that someone will trip over it.
Use a C-stand or light stand that you can sandbag for stability.

HDMI and DVI are the same video signals so the adapter shouldn't cost more than $10-15.
Most video monitors run on 12V at a couple of amps, so you can probably run it directly from a 3s battery. Probably not for very long, though. When I run my DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) in the field, I have a pair of 6-V tractor batteries in a milk-crate with an inverter to power the laptop and mixer. It's good for about 4 hours.

the tripod is well over its rated weight limit so do need to look at stronger alternatives thanks. My bro has already opened it once to replace the power-board when he was using it on his computer so think it should be easy to convert. The dvi-i adaptor only cost me £1.74, just too impatient & want to try it out now lol

p fandango said:
the tripod is well over its rated weight limit so do need to look at stronger alternatives thanks. My bro has already opened it once to replace the power-board when he was using it on his computer so think it should be easy to convert. The dvi-i adaptor only cost me £1.74, just too impatient & want to try it out now lol

Do double check the Black Pearl HDMI is an HDMI out. My 7ch Black Pearl has HDMI in only. The video out is video composite cable only.

**edit** I've just doubled checked, and on all the Black Pearl monitors (7ch and 32ch), the HDMI is HDMI IN only, no way to get it out. Video out from both receivers and in diversity mode is video the 3.5mm to composite video adapter only.

^ Correct. And the transfer isn't HD anyways.
I wonder if the video can show on both devices at the same time? Never tried it.

yep, just found out the hard way about the HDMI. Thats blown that plan then lol

CityZen said:
You just need to get an RC305 receiver and a cheap AV NTSC to HDMI adapter.
i can still use the component out from the Black Pearl (the RC305 doesn't do my frequency). Have found a cheap av to hdmi converter so might give it a try, not happy about another thing thats going to need powering tho

CityZen said:
... and a cheap AV NTSC to HDMI adapter.
That would certainly be a waste. Just go straight to the monitor.

the RC305 doesn't do my frequency
The RC305 can be modded to work on different bands. But if your BP has the necessary outputs, you're set.

That would certainly be a waste. Just go straight to the monitor.
I thought his monitor only had DVI in.

well i've found a cheap 20" tv with component input, & only weighs 2.5kg. & the same retailer also sells a heavier-duty tripod rated to 5kg so might be starting again lol

the component to hdmi converter turned up & works perfectly. Very tempted to get an ImmersionRC Uno so it can be totally stand-alone then, just means in need 240v for the monitor, 5v for the hdmi converter & 6-16v for the Uno in one place lol

IMG_2153_zps5b1dc5a2.jpg

IMG_2155_zps56c4af4f.jpg

Nice job. I can even see that with my eyes ! :)

That looks nice. For someone else that just wants an extra screen you can use a SONY portable DVD player just using the video in and it already has a battery.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie