Home made antenna booster

Yes Toph, like that but I am trying to avoid the retail profit margin. I already have a leftover 11.1v 2200mah battery from another project and can make a bracket out of plastic to hold it all together. I think the most expensive part will be the two 4 watt amps I ordered for about $23.00 each. There are only a few components in the $300.00 kits.

1) Antennas - admittedly this IS THE critical part and FPVLR has put some time into coming up with a fine tuned helical antenna. The DBS one is probably like two flat panel WiFi antennas in one very nice casing. I plan to try something more omnidirectional and just make up for antenna losses with amp power.
2) Cables - You need decent ones that have the right ends, etc. but that is not rocket science either.
3) Amplifiers - These are not rocket science, some brands are better than others but hard to tell until you try some. All will likely produce within 5-10% of each other at the same power rating. That's why I went with ones advertised at 4 watts counting on them being a real 2-3 watts.
4) Battery - Anything that can power the amps is good. You could buy a few 9v rechargeables and wire them in parallel. I am using a cheap and easy off the shelf RC 11.1v battery as I stated above. Recharge it with any wall wart that puts out 12-16 volts.
5) A Bracket - This is where most people will fall apart. I like dremeling plastic and making stuff. It really is not that hard to make something to hold the stuff together but will take a little time. I would BUY a nice bracket if someone was selling them separately, but so far I have only seen one battery holder bracket on Amazon, (for $45 I think) and I am not sure if my stuff will line up right to it. I will just make my own. I bought a big sheet of black plastic off Amazon for about $10 so I can just cut some and heat/bend it with my heat gun.

I figure it can be done for about $116.00
~$46 for 2 amplifiers, they come with antennas, antenna wires, and power adapters I will cut the plugs off of and throw in my junk pile.
~$20 for 2 antennas, cheap WiFi antennas omni or directional. IF you don't use the free ones that come with the amps, I will try to just use the ones that come with the amps at first.
~$10 for the antenna wires from the controller board to the amps. These come packaged with some of the cheap antenna kits advertised for DJI drones.
~$25 for the Turnigy 11.1v 2,200mah battery I already own. There is probably a battery that is better suited for this purpose but I already have this one, so I am using it for now.
~$15 for plastic, screws, etc. I am being generous in this dept.

As for me I already have the plastic, screws and scraps in my garage, a battery, and some Alfa directional antennas. All I will need is some time when the amps from China arrive.
This is great!

I am doing the same thing! In fact, I ordered two of those 4w ComFast amps and two 12v 3000mah li-on batteries much like the ones the guys use with the other amps. Just have to change the plug and add a second to power up both amps.

Not only do I think this is a great project, it's a project that you don't have to get gouged on.

$299 for a boosted setup is over $600 Canadian by the time it gets here and this way is about $125 Canadian to my door.

I'll be comparing antennas as well. Starting off with the little panel antennas I have.

Good luck with the project!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Good luck to you as well!

P.S. When I get it together I will ether brag about the gains, or admit if it is not that great. I think it will do a good job and out range my battery.
that's what i was saying the last link i posted is kinda what you wanted and the link the you posted are the wind surfers you suggested to me

that's what i was saying the last link i posted is kinda what you wanted and the link the you posted are the wind surfers you suggested to me

Yes, I am making a generic version of that basic setup but I will see if I can get away with omnidirectional antennas. One thought I have is when the amps are connected just using Omni directional antennas that are say 10" or so for better range in all directions, then if I want to go max distance just sliding on some home made 10" tall wind surfers. Wide range or long range can be selected in seconds with no tools. I would probably make the windsurfers from very thin, light weight plastic that I heat and shape over a piece of thick 3-4" PVC pipe with my heat gun. Then the reflector "metal" will be aluminum foil duct tape that AC guys use. I have a roll of it in my garage.

Yes, I am making a generic version of that basic setup but I will see if I can get away with omnidirectional antennas. One thought I have is when the amps are connected just using Omni directional antennas that are say 10" or so for better range in all directions, then if I want to go max distance just sliding on some home made 10" tall wind surfers. Wide range or long range can be selected in seconds with no tools. I would probably make the windsurfers from very thin, light weight plastic that I heat and shape over a piece of thick 3-4" PVC pipe with my heat gun. Then the reflector "metal" will be aluminum foil duct tape that AC guys use. I have a roll of it in my garage.
i found a business that charge only $234 after the price for that ite antenna deal and installation and shipping

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

dfc3dec752b8f2fd49c7a499984ed14c.jpg

That is without the amps, amp bracket and battery, etc.

no where did it say it required that, does it require that? why can't it operate off of the RC battery?

The antennas will work fine from the stock transmitter and give you some more range but very directional. To go beyond that you need to combine that with amplifiers. Look on the website and the $300 package (uninstalled) has the same antenna(s) with amps, bracket, battery, etc.

have you tried that set up withou amps

this dude got 4 miles with the same set up
0dcef2718711721956ab3f019c58c4d9.jpg

That is a different Phantom and it looks like there are amps. I don't have that antenna but it is known by many to be a good one that gets you much better distance even without any amps. I went from windsurfers to WiFi panel antennas on a bracket I made. Now I am adding amps and trying to see if I can go back to some upgraded omnidirectional antennas.

This is what I have at the moment. I drilled holes in the top of my remote knowing I would be adding amps at some point later.

P.S. The bracket is not my best work but I wanted to whip something together fast. The next one with amps I may make it look a little better. Funny thing is, I got lucky and this still fits in my backpack when I unscrew the antennas.

Attachments

• 20160321_214126.jpg
    20160321_214126.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 215
  • 20160321_214146.jpg
    20160321_214146.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 233
That is a different Phantom and it looks like there are amps. I don't have that antenna but it is known by many to be a good one that gets you much better distance even without any amps. I went from windsurfers to WiFi panel antennas on a bracket I made. Now I am adding amps and trying to see if I can go back to some upgraded omnidirectional antennas.

This is what I have at the moment. I drilled holes in the top of my remote knowing I would be adding amps at some point later.

P.S. The bracket is not my best work but I wanted to whip something together fast. The next one with amps I may make it look a little better. Funny thing is, I got lucky and this still fits in my backpack when I unscrew the antennas.
no i was referring to the dude with cigarette i watched that video and he got 4 miles one way without amps, the set up you have looks kool, if you're going to work on another one i'll buy that one from you and give you my P3A GL300C RC lol

Oh yeah, I didn't notice him. I can see 4 miles being doable. I went right at 2.05 miles with STOCK remote, STOCK antennas with just the $12.00 windsurfers. I had about 200+ 2 story homes, 2 very tall churches and 100' main power lines running diagonally directly between me and my P3A and later my P3P. So in the right environment you can get 4 miles. I just want to get 4 miles+ in a crappy environment without having to aim my remote properly. :) As for swapping out I don't have another remote, but I would only trade this one for a GL300A model.

what's special about the GL300A compared to mine

It has a very slightly more powerful transmission signal but the main difference is the Davinci processor in the remote that handles a lot of the video processing that gets displayed on your phone, tablet, etc. With the later remotes like my 300B or your 300C your phone/tablet has to not have too many apps running, free RAM etc. or you may have some lower quality video for FPV. The recording in the bird is the same. If you use a wifi iPad mini with only a few apps running you won't see a difference but if your phone is running a lot of background apps you may not get the exact video quality you should. The only plus side to the 300B and 300C controllers is a faster USB 3.0 port so DJI can offload the heavy video processing work for your phone to do. In some cases it may not even be noticeable. Both my remotes have been 300B so far.

Reactions: Romans109

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie