Home Lock

Reaction score
I've heard a rumor or two that the Home Lock function uses the Home point as it's orientation point, not the R/C location. So, in theory, this function could also be used like Point Of Interest mode once you've set the home point over the subject you're looking to film?

Has anyone tried or confirmed this?

I've heard a rumor or two that the Home Lock function uses the Home point as it's orientation point, not the R/C location. So, in theory, this function could also be used like Point Of Interest mode once you've set the home point over the subject you're looking to film?

Home lock is a different functionality than POI. POI mainly points your gimbal to the set object where as HOME LOCK aligns your P3 to home point in such a manner that pulling stick back will always move P3 towards home. So one is gimbal alignment and other is p3 alignment.

No matter which direction aircraft is flying, pulling back will get P3 pulled towards home point and vice-versa.

Last edited:
You can use it to describe a circle but it doesn't automatically turn the camera in sync - POI is much better at this!
You can probably do almost as good a job manually - remember both sticks inwards or both outwards but with extreme precision and steadiness to describe an arc while turning almost imperceptibly.

I understand the difference between the modes, I was just curious if anyone has actually confirmed that you could set a new Home Point, which the A/C would stay oriented on.
Example: Imagine a shot flying in over water from a distance to a shoreline subject, decreasing altitude. The subject would be where the Home Point was set and the P3 operator would not be visible in the shot.
It sounds like a nice automated way to achieve straight flight towards the home point while focusing on speed, altitude, and camera orientation.

Perhaps you're thinking of the typical "zip line" feature rather than POI. With POI, the camera normally auto points at the target no matter the location of the Phantom. With zip line, the path is a direct line back to the target, but you need to manually reposition the camera as you fly.

It sounds like a nice automated way to achieve straight flight towards the home point while focusing on speed, altitude, and camera orientation.
Exactly :) That's what home lock is for. It allows you to keep your focus on the camera, while the P3 is flying itself in a straight line, at the set speed towards home on its own. Course lock is where you picture a circle around you and no matter what direction the P3 is pointing, pulling down on the right stick brings it towards you. Course lock is a great tool for confined space flying because you can turn the camera where you need it and never lose orientation of where it will fly.

Theory aside, it's not a wise move to do that. It will for sure confuse your mental orientation for flight and at that point, it's not safe to fly and it would also make getting the shot much too difficult. If you're taking the time fly over something to set a poi, do it in poi mode, which will give the appropriate behavior and get the shot you're looking for. Or in waypoint mode, you can frame a poi and then fly left and set a waypoint and then fly right and set a waypoint and use that as a cable shot. If you're very used to traditional stick flying, home lock can be confusing for the brain. You don't want to add confusion by orienting the home point /home lock to a position that would be very difficult to fly without confusion. Plus if anything goes wrong, your home point would be set to something the bird will fly towards and land on, which is not a good thing. Use the modes the way they are intended for a shot. If the dji app isn't enough for you there are other apps with more abilities to take advantage of. Good luck.

Exactly :) That's what home lock is for. It allows you to keep your focus on the camera, while the P3 is flying itself in a straight line, at the set speed towards home on its own. Course lock is where you picture a circle around you and no matter what direction the P3 is pointing, pulling down on the right stick brings it towards you. Course lock is a great tool for confined space flying because you can turn the camera where you need it and never lose orientation of where it will fly.
I think you've got this back to front....Course lock flies in a straight line, and enables you to pan the camera as you fly past a point....Home lock does what you have described as Course lock.

Reactions: Prowler
I think you've got this back to front....Course lock flies in a straight line, and enables you to pan the camera as you fly past a point....Home lock does what you have described as Course lock.
Yup, brain...oops :)

Hahaha... it's okay Reed. We knew what you meant.
Just exploring new ways of focusing a little more attention towards the creative aspect than the piloting. Safely automating some of the flight control is one of the most amazing things about this platform.

Reactions: Reed L
I believe all are saying the same point in different ways. Good that matter is now clear.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie