Home lock issues

Conquistador said:
BlackTracer said:
Here is a quiz for all you HL/CL experts. This happened to me so I know the answer. You take off with stored course direction A. You fly in direction A to 100m distance. You switch to HL. Pull back on stick until the bird flies over your head in direction -A. Fly out 100m again in direction -A. Reselect HL. Pull back on the stick and keep it pulled back bringing it towards home again.

Quiz Question: What does the bird do when you reach 10m from home point?

I believe it will go back to direction -A since it will again go into CL which means the opposite of the starting facing direction - correct? I have not tried that, but that is my guess.

You are absolutely correct! Well done. Imagine my surprise when this happened to me but I wasn't testing it. Surprised me and I had to stop and contemplate why it did a 180 degree instant direction change.

Okay, I have a question. If you put the Phantom into failsafe after changing the starting face direction and take it back over with ATTI mode and switch back to GPS mode, will that change the face direction for CL if you are now in HL and it reaches the 10m range?

Now back to the original question. Why would you use HL/CL if you were lost/disoriented instead of RTH to bring the bird home? It seems like a problem given the change of IOC when it gets within certain range??

Prylar Bek said:
Now back to the original question. Why would you use HL/CL if you were lost/disoriented instead of RTH to bring the bird home? It seems like a problem given the change of IOC when it gets within certain range??
The purpuse of HLmode and CL mode are not to be hrlpfull when lost. HL is primairly for situations the bird is that far you do not see what is front, back, left or right; so situatiin you are disoriented on the bird orientation. HL mode is intended to give you the posibility to make videos on parallel of your flight-direction

Prylar Bek said:

Elementary my dear Watson. As long as you know it is high enough, but you lost visual on it, HL and pulling back will get it within sight and hearing distance for you. By the way, you can always determine where it is and which way it is facing using the app on your smartphone as long as you have it connected.

aartsf said:
Prylar Bek said:
The purpuse of HLmode and CL mode are not to be hrlpfull when lost. HL is primairly for situations the bird is that far you do not see what is front, back, left or right; so situatiin you are disoriented on the bird orientation. HL mode is intended to give you the posibility to make videos on parallel of your flight-direction

You mean CL don't you?

Conquistador said:
Prylar Bek said:

Elementary my dear Watson. As long as you know it is high enough, but you lost visual on it, HL and pulling back will get it within sight and hearing distance for you. By the way, you can always determine where it is and which way it is facing using the app on your smartphone as long as you have it connected.

Yes, I knell that. I guess I will go out and try again. I just didnt get why see 'wobbled' L-R-L so much when I pulled the right stick back. Freaked me out. We will see later thanks

Prylar Bek said:
aartsf said:
Prylar Bek said:

You mean CL don't you?
Correct, sorry for that typo. [emoji53]

No worries. This does get a bit technical times. Anyhow, I hope Idont get those 'death wobbles' this afternoon!

Not sure why there is so much confusion on this. This is my take on it. RTH..I've never used. To me that is a last ditch effort. Home lock. If my quad is way out and I have lost orientation, I can flip S2 switch to bottom position..Home Lock....pull back on right stick and providing I am standing at takeoff point, the quad will come back to me in a straight line as long as I pull back on right stick. Once it is close enough that I can see orientation, I can turn IOC of and fly as normal. Now, course lock is totally different. If I power up the quad and it is say facing North. If I fly out a bit and I flip S2 switch to Course lock...if I pull back on right stick...it will head due south. Not to me standing at home point. This is good to take off and say fly next to a north south road and parallel it while shooting video. This is dependent on the direction the quad was facing when you first powered up and got the proper lights to fly. It makes no difference where the quad is in reference to you. It could be far left, far right, or straight in front of you. .

Got it. Its getting clearer. BUT, why would my last flight when I did exactly what you just said to perform ,cause those disconcerting wobbles?

I would have to go back and read the wobble thing. Course and Home lock have nothing to do with wobbles. I said in my post that it was my take on it. That was incorrect to say. I have the Phantom 1 and have tested this.

Another thing. Home lock and course lock can be changed while in the air on some depending on the version of software they are on. I have the Phantom 1...1.1.1 ver 4.0. I have tried to reset my Home lock in the air and it doesn't work. Maybe the upgrade to 4.02 I think would solve that. Never got a clear answer on that. My quad flies fine and I'm not upgrading squat .

Is it possible that my IOC is not set properly? If so how is it set properly?

I don't think there is a setting for them but to select them in assistant software and the main thing..UNDERSTAND HOW THEY WORK AND HOW THEY CAN HELP YOU.

I'm getting a clear picture for sure. It's the death wobble that has me confused

I put it in HL. Pull the right stick back. She starts to come towards me. THEN...like Dipping her wings. L-R-L-R. PRETTY severe movements

Are you also descending at the same time?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4