Home Lock is not working on my PV

gunslinger

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I finally got around to trying out IOC today only to find that course lock works perfectly and home lock doesn't work at all. I brought it home, plugged it into the PV Assistant software and the software shows that the switch is (mechanically) working and that it is going into home lock mode.

This seems to mean that the PV may never be locking in on home position, which scares the **** out of me. I've never tried RTH as there's a certain pucker factor with that as far as I'm concerned. Is there any way I can tell whether or not it's saving the home location other than forcing an RTH?

Thanks...
-slinger

Crap... I didn't RTFM, my bad. I might not have been over 30 feet away when I was testing. I'm going out later and will test again... :oops:

It's probably the 30ft thing, but just in case, as long as you get several blinking green only lights before taking off, it has logged its home location just fine.

I too was a bit freaky with the notion of even testing rth, but I did need it one time, and it worked like a charm. As I held my breath and switched the controller off, the relief was amazing.

Then the other day, I sold an extra p2v to someone, but gave them a demo using my daily flyer. As I described the features to him, and got to the rth feature, I could see the " lets see it do that" in his eyes. I buckled to the pressure and flipped my fail safe switch, then Narrated its action as it climbed to 60ft, held, held some more, and began returning. Hovering above us, and aiming itself just above the case I took off from, he was sold, and so was I, again!

I'd give it a try, nice and kind of close in an open area of course. Mind you, I've triggered the rth several times while props were off, so that gave me lots of confidence it would work. Ive also tripped the fail safe switch on accident a few time. Seeing it not respond to my commands was a bit freaky, but keeping a cool head, I usually figure it out pretty fast.

Happy New Year,

Rich

OI Photography said:
That one got me the first time too ;)

Yeah... Took her out yesterday and homelock works perfectly. As long as you're over 30 feet out... :oops: :oops: :oops:

I was really kinda freaked that it didn't work the other day. Now that I know it does, it's a very cool thang.

I was doing some speed runs and I got her way out there very quickly and was immediately disoriented regarding which way she was facing. It was so bright, I couldn't see a **** thing on my Nexus. I put her in homelock and just reeled her in. Nice stuff...

-slinger

I tried today. Didn't work for me. I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Checked settings in assistant, all good. I re read naza PDF. I'll try again tomorrow. I was definitely more than 30ft out.

J

Richhealth said:
It's probably the 30ft thing, but just in case, as long as you get several blinking green only lights before taking off, it has logged its home location just fine.

I too was a bit freaky with the notion of even testing rth, but I did need it one time, and it worked like a charm. As I held my breath and switched the controller off, the relief was amazing.

Then the other day, I sold an extra p2v to someone, but gave them a demo using my daily flyer. As I described the features to him, and got to the rth feature, I could see the " lets see it do that" in his eyes. I buckled to the pressure and flipped my fail safe switch, then Narrated its action as it climbed to 60ft, held, held some more, and began returning. Hovering above us, and aiming itself just above the case I took off from, he was sold, and so was I, again!

I'd give it a try, nice and kind of close in an open area of course. Mind you, I've triggered the rth several times while props were off, so that gave me lots of confidence it would work. Ive also tripped the fail safe switch on accident a few time. Seeing it not respond to my commands was a bit freaky, but keeping a cool head, I usually figure it out pretty fast.

Happy New Year,

Rich

Yeah he answered his own question: you need to be over 10 meters (32.5 feet) away to see how home lock functions.

Also your comment that you accidentally flipped the fail safe button more than once is exactly the reason failsafe should be left for when you loose control or turn off the power to remote. Imagine accidentally hitting failsafe instead of Atti mode and have your phantom fly right up into a low ceiling or tree bank. Not good

JustJames said:
I tried today. Didn't work for me. I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Checked settings in assistant, all good. I re read naza PDF. I'll try again tomorrow. I was definitely more than 30ft out.

J

If Homelock isn't working and you're over 32.5 feet away (ideally a lot more than that) you most likely did not get a solid Homelock or you had shakey satellite reception as you attempted this.

BenDronePilot said:
Richhealth said:

Happy New Year,

Rich

Yeah he answered his own question: you need to be over 10 meters (32.5 feet) away to see how home lock functions.

Also your comment that you accidentally flipped the fail safe button more than once is exactly the reason failsafe should be left for when you loose control or turn off the power to remote. Imagine accidentally hitting failsafe instead of Atti mode and have your phantom fly right up into a low ceiling or tree bank. Not good

That definitely wouldn't be good Bendrone, good point. Luckily when its happens you can tell in a heart beat, since the lights start to flash yellow and simi rapidly. It then sort of freezes in place long before it begins to rise. Its as if they thought of everything, and were very cautious when releasing this to the public (great job DJI ). Since I generally fly line of site, and never under ceilings or tree branches, I notice it right away.

For some reason I've done it when I went to switch from Atti back to gps after getting the stable shot I needed. Its as if I feel that I should go down instead of up. I'll either keep practicing, or reverse the controls if its allowed. Since I only use atti on rare occasions, Its probably not a legitimate concern for me either way, and I'm surely comfortable turning the controller off, and back on again, if given the option not to.

Regarding him (Slinger) answering his own question, I could see that, in relation to the distance, but his additional concern of whether or not his home position was recorded was the actual focus of that point.

Rich

Got it. Mainly me..a newb so to speak..misunderstanding what home lock did exactly. More so on HOW it operated. I thought that it was the same as when you lost connection...that it would fly back on it's own. I did not realize I had to pull back on the stick. Now I "think" I understand after watching several videos and reading again..and again. There is alot to these things. And ALOT is not intuitive. But it is interesting and I'm still having fun...and thats the whole point.

Thanks for weighing in.

James

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4