Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Home Lock but behaved like Course Lock?

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by clayton4115, Apr 9, 2015.

1. clayton4115

ok so today I did a flight to test my wifi range and i went out beyond LOS so i flipped the swtich to bring it back via HL and right stick down, however i noticed that the copter began going sideways and saw on my dji app that the distance was increasing instead of decreasing, this happened on both occasions, so I then initiated go home and it came back home,

any ideas what would have caused this?

my controller was set to HL on S1 stick maybe I did not have the right control stick straight down perhaps to one side?

2. Brent10

Twice, I had a similar thing happen. I thought maybe the switch was intermittently not working but I tested it extensively in RC Assistant and never could get it to fail. I will be keeping a close eye on mine. I ordered new switches in case I determine they are needed.

3. lsteigerwalt

Did yall happen to be flying in attitude mode...hl and cl don't work in attitude mode.

4. jason

HL is a function of S2 (on the left) in the Naza-M which part of the IOC and S1 (on the right) is GPS, ATTI (if set that way in Naza-M) and Failsafe (if setup in the P2 assistant software).

So if you moved S1 to the bottom and it was setup for failsafe it would have returned to it home point without having to move the right stick down. I would suggest you review your setup before
    another flight.

5. clayton4115

yes sorry i meant S2 on the left to HL, no all in GPS mode, I initiated go home by moving the right hand switch to the bottom switch.

6. TeeJayN

Check both S1 and S2 switches in the RC Assistant but move them slowly. Of course it shouldn't matter how fast or slow you move the switches - you should get zero failures - but a more slow movement of the switch showed that both of mine would intermittently fail. The failure is that when the switch is physically UP or DOWN it is electrically in the CENTER position.

Now think for a moment the havoc/confusion/panic that could, and probably has, caused.....

I replaced both switches with fully tested new ones.
    So far so good.
    YMMV.
    http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26266

7. Brent10

8. clayton4115

this was my flight in question, look at around 1:55 onwards

9. N017RW

Not exactly.

Home Lock requires you to be in GPS mode AND 6 or more sats. acquired and at last 10m from the Home point. Within the 10m it reverts to Course Lock until you exceed the 10m and toggle S1 back to Home Lock.
    Course Lock works in GPS or Att. regardless of the number of satellites.

You can read all this here:
    http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Naza-M-V2_Intelligent_Orientation_Control

10. Monte55

toggle S1 back to Home Lock.?

11. N017RW

Yes.

See note #5 & 6. It's not clear I agree but the nuance is in the terms 'first time' and 'current flight'.

Imagine what would happen if it automatically changed in and out of HL at the 10m perimeter.

12. Monte55

How do you flip S1 to home lock. That's a function of S2

13. N017RW

Yep.

My bad.

Thanks.

14. jadebox

Assuming the 'copter was facing away from you at takeoff (which is common, I would expect), in both HL and CL, the 'copter should have come towards you when you moved the right stick down. Moving a different direction implies that either you were not in HD or CL mode, the home point was wrong, or there weren't enough satellites.

Since RTH worked, it seems like you weren't really in HL or CL mode. Check the switches in the RC or Vision Assistant and make sure NAZA mode is enabled.

-- Roger

#14 jadebox, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  15. edonovanl

Jadebox, how are things in Oviedo? Hot yet?

So, I think that HL while in GPS mode and S1 fully back is the only config that will bring the drone back to you regardless of it's orientation. In CL, it depends on your orientation to the position your drone was in when you took off...CL matches that orientation and doesn't need GPS.

16. N017RW

No.

In HL yes, that's why it's called Home Lock.

In CL, when pulling right stick back/down, it will fly in the opposite direction the nose was pointing at time of warm-up when the first set of green flashes occur.

BIG difference.

17. jadebox

Wow ... you both replied while I was editing my response. :)

In any case, checking the switches and NAZA/Vision selection is still a good thing to do.

-- Roger

18. BlackTracer

In HL yes, but not necessarily in CL. What if he were 100 yds to the right of the home point with the nose facing the course direction? That ain't coming back to you in CL with right stick down. Its going to follow the opposite course direction and end up 100 yds away when it crosses the perpendicular grid line through the home point!

He was not in HL before doing the RTH. If he were it would have followed the same line as the RTH line with right stick back.

This is nearly impossible to tell what happened. Just test your CL and HL close to home and study how they work and how the 10m radius plays in is my suggestion.

19. N017RW

20. MrC

MrC

S2 does home lock (bottom position) and course lock (middle position). You have to be in Naza mode in the assistant and you have to have IOC enabled in the assistant.