Hobby Registration vs. Commercial Registration

Reaction score
Please correct me if I am wrong. From what I have been reading a hobbyist can register once and use that registration number on all personally owned drones, but a commercial operator must have a different registration for each drone. Am I reading this right?

Thanks

Hobbyist - YOU are registered and get one # to go on all of your "hobby" aircract

Commercial - the aircraft is registered

Reactions: MPPilot
The sUAS Registration portal has gotten a whole overhaul to handle this. It does appear that each individual aircraft is registered separately when you select the non-model aircraft registration type.
account type.jpg

Yep, For hobby, you register the pilot and use that number on all of your birds. For commercial, you register each bird and license the pilot. I actually went the paper route and got an actual "N" number for my Phantom. That also creates a aircraft registration form that must be keep with the aircraft just like the big boys. And I don't think it would hurt in any 'question' situation if you can pull out an official FAA document for the bird and license for you the pilot.

I registered commercially under "Non-Model Aircraft" electronically and did not get a "N" number. The certificate number is ten characters long! (FA****9***) Not sure how I am suppose to put that on such a little bird?

I registered commercially under "Non-Model Aircraft" electronically and did not get a "N" number. The certificate number is ten characters long! (FA****9***) Not sure how I am suppose to put that on such a little bird?
You could try dragging a tail banner. :D

I've heard that registered aircraft also have state property taxes - I.e. In Missouri. Will people be paying property taxes on drones once they will be registered aircraft?

I don't know what the "current" wording is but when I did mine last year it simply stated "As large as is possible on the aircraft".

I've heard that registered aircraft also have state property taxes - I.e. In Missouri. Will people be paying property taxes on drones once they will be registered aircraft?
It's very possible you'll get a letter in the mail from your local tax collector IF they see your name on the list. Keep in mind that we are on the same list as MANNED aircraft and you bet you bottom dollar the state (and everyone else for that matter) will want to get their share of your "Fun $$". If you can afford an airplane they expect to get some too.

I got the letter and my portion of the taxes came to $22 IIRC. I just sent it over to my accountant and they handled it LOL.

Last edited:

That is normal

In order to get an "N" number, you have to go the paper route through the FAA office in Kansas City. There is a list of things that you have to present along with a notarized letter to get register that way. First thing is to contact them and request a AC Form 8050-1 and 8050 -2 (has to be an original, can't download or scan one.). That's the route that I went, takes about a month.

Last edited:
Contact your local FSDO for the forms. It's faster. I received mine in a couple days. Make sure to get at least 2 in case you screw up on the first one.

Reactions: BigAl07
What if I register my bird as a model aircraft then latter decide to go commercial ? Can I cancel my registration as model and reregister as commercial ??

What if I register my bird as a model aircraft then latter decide to go commercial ? Can I cancel my registration as model and reregister as commercial ??
You can cancel your hobby registration if you want or you can just leave it active.

Note that when you register for hobby only, you are registering yourself, not the drone.

When you register for non-hobby (commercial), you will register each drone individually.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers