Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Hobby Registration vs. Commercial Registration

Discussion in 'Rules and Regulations' started by MPPilot, Aug 29, 2016.

1. MPPilot

Please correct me if I am wrong. From what I have been reading a hobbyist can register once and use that registration number on all personally owned drones, but a commercial operator must have a different registration for each drone. Am I reading this right?

Thanks

2. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Hobbyist - YOU are registered and get one # to go on all of your "hobby" aircract

Commercial - the aircraft is registered

MPPilot likes this.
  3. MPPilot

That's how I read it too, just wanted to make sure. Thanks Al.

BigAl07 likes this.
  4. kenundrum

The sUAS Registration portal has gotten a whole overhaul to handle this. It does appear that each individual aircraft is registered separately when you select the non-model aircraft registration type. account type.jpg

5. Richard R

Yep, For hobby, you register the pilot and use that number on all of your birds. For commercial, you register each bird and license the pilot. I actually went the paper route and got an actual "N" number for my Phantom. That also creates a aircraft registration form that must be keep with the aircraft just like the big boys. And I don't think it would hurt in any 'question' situation if you can pull out an official FAA document for the bird and license for you the pilot.

6. Rasit

I registered commercially under "Non-Model Aircraft" electronically and did not get a "N" number. The certificate number is ten characters long! (FA****9***) Not sure how I am suppose to put that on such a little bird?

7. MPPilot

You could try dragging a tail banner. :D

Woodsong likes this.
  8. Seawolf

I've heard that registered aircraft also have state property taxes - I.e. In Missouri. Will people be paying property taxes on drones once they will be registered aircraft?

9. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't know what the "current" wording is but when I did mine last year it simply stated "As large as is possible on the aircraft".

It's very possible you'll get a letter in the mail from your local tax collector IF they see your name on the list. Keep in mind that we are on the same list as MANNED aircraft and you bet you bottom dollar the state (and everyone else for that matter) will want to get their share of your "Fun $$". If you can afford an airplane they expect to get some too.

I got the letter and my portion of the taxes came to $22 IIRC. I just sent it over to my accountant and they handled it LOL.

#9 BigAl07, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  10. ExcObs1

That is normal

11. Richard R

In order to get an "N" number, you have to go the paper route through the FAA office in Kansas City. There is a list of things that you have to present along with a notarized letter to get register that way. First thing is to contact them and request a AC Form 8050-1 and 8050 -2 (has to be an original, can't download or scan one.). That's the route that I went, takes about a month.

#11 Richard R, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  12. turbulence

Contact your local FSDO for the forms. It's faster. I received mine in a couple days. Make sure to get at least 2 in case you screw up on the first one.

BigAl07 likes this.