Hobby club YMCA RC Intro

Reaction score
I have been a small group leader of a youth hobby club with the local YMCA. The boys are a range from 11 years old to 17.

I'd like to teach the boys about electronics and radio signal transmissions. I thought RC would be great since it combines both into a fun package they can play with.

I'd like to know what (besides safety) could be useful and relatively easily taught to the youths over the next couple of weekends? Maybe I should pick up some kits and let them learn to solder? Sounds dangerous. Some of the boys have already got to build some RC cars with me but at least half haven't. There's 10 total boys if they all show up. 3 are regulars.

Previously they loved setting up the Phantom and looking at the video screen. They live to review the footage and make videos of themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I took the boys out and taught safety drills and pre flight checklist yesterday. When the weather cleared we went through a couple batteries on the Blade. Quads are fun to learn RC with. Very little skill required with SAFE technology!

The boys are all looking forward to flying the new phantom especially for recording action shots with the active tracking.

The boy in the pictures is only 11 and already has the manual binding down and is learning agility mode and how to land manually without the RTH. He's participated in our RC program about 5 times.

917cea1cf0f5a10eec90faf94090d8ab.jpg
dd4969717d4dcc458768560c22e46129.jpg
88fdbafe6759002d3310d5dbb2b3b81f.jpg

Some of the things your boys might find interest in as it applies to RC aircraft:

Inertia
Thrust
Magnetism
Lift
Electricity
Amperage
Watts
Volts
Current
Resistance
Sensors
Camera technology
Video transfer
iOS application development
Flight control
Barometric altitude
GPS
Navigation
Molding
Manufacturing
Industrial Design
Mechanical Engineering
Software Engineering
Chemical Engineering

Reactions: Noble 1
Thank you so much. I think we will look at properties of electricity next weekend. I bought a couple bread boards and electric wiring kits. I'll help the build an LED flashlight and camera technology. It will be a good primer for them when they start FVP again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20