Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Hobby club YMCA RC Intro

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Noble 1, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Noble 1

I have been a small group leader of a youth hobby club with the local YMCA. The boys are a range from 11 years old to 17.

I'd like to teach the boys about electronics and radio signal transmissions. I thought RC would be great since it combines both into a fun package they can play with.

I'd like to know what (besides safety) could be useful and relatively easily taught to the youths over the next couple of weekends? Maybe I should pick up some kits and let them learn to solder? Sounds dangerous. Some of the boys have already got to build some RC cars with me but at least half haven't. There's 10 total boys if they all show up. 3 are regulars.

Previously they loved setting up the Phantom and looking at the video screen. They live to review the footage and make videos of themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

2. Noble 1

I took the boys out and taught safety drills and pre flight checklist yesterday. When the weather cleared we went through a couple batteries on the Blade. Quads are fun to learn RC with. Very little skill required with SAFE technology!

The boys are all looking forward to flying the new phantom especially for recording action shots with the active tracking.

The boy in the pictures is only 11 and already has the manual binding down and is learning agility mode and how to land manually without the RTH. He's participated in our RC program about 5 times.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Mark The Droner

Some of the things your boys might find interest in as it applies to RC aircraft:

Inertia
    Thrust
    Magnetism
    Lift
    Electricity
    Amperage
    Watts
    Volts
    Current
    Resistance
    Sensors
    Camera technology
    Video transfer
    iOS application development
    Flight control
    Barometric altitude
    GPS
    Navigation
    Molding
    Manufacturing
    Industrial Design
    Mechanical Engineering
    Software Engineering
    Chemical Engineering

Noble 1 likes this.
  4. Noble 1

Thank you so much. I think we will look at properties of electricity next weekend. I bought a couple bread boards and electric wiring kits. I'll help the build an LED flashlight and camera technology. It will be a good primer for them when they start FVP again.