Hit a tree - Lived to tell the tale (video)

Reaction score
So, it goes like this: I decided; lets play with Follow Me mode, at night. Too slow. OK, I'll drive and fly the Phantom as well. It's 4:30 am and the streets in my subdivision are quiet. There are plenty of large, tall trees in the neighborhood but the city keeps them trimmed back from overhanging the streets... mostly...
So, crusing along and as you can see at 38 seconds I veer slightly to the left as I'm driving (preparing to make a car turn so wasn't fully concentrating on flying) and at 40 seconds, I almost run into a tree overhanging the road. I think what happened was the avoidance system caught it at the very last moment and jammed on the brakes. I stop driving and try to orient myself and now with low GPS signal she wobbles around a bit and I'm trying to figure out which way I'm orientated to her and which way is safe; up is usually a good escape so up I go and - blamo - from within my car (moonroof open) I could literally hear the blades chewing into leaves. A very distinct sound.
She falls
and
about a foot off the ground, recovers perfectly!
A quick look to check for traffic and she's back up and above my car (as my neighbor decides that that would be a good time to head off to wherever so I dodge upwards to avoid explaining the blinky red/green lights at 5 am. And then, too dusty to land in garage, a perfect landing right in front of the garage.
WHEW!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl