Higher capacity battery or just buy another?

Reaction score
Hello,

I am getting 20 minutes out of my packs. I love the bird and think it's awesome. I was wondering If I should wait for a higher capacity pack to come out or if I should buy another of the current model batteries? I currently have 2 and more is of course, always better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will be a big ask to get higher capacity cells, more Ah means a larger pack and available space is the limiting factor. Unless we have an advance in Lipo energy density in the P4 product cycle I think your safe to buy now.

It will be a big ask to get higher capacity cells, more Ah means a larger pack and available space is the limiting factor. Unless we have an advance in Lipo energy density in the P4 product cycle I think your safe to buy now.

This is good input. I was looking for an answer like this... Thanks

Agreed. The battery is pretty packed as is. Any more increase in size and weight would probably just contribute to balancing out to the same flight time.
Agreed. I'm surprised more people aren't talking about the incredible design of the battery and fuselage. It's revolutionary. Those vented bats? Who ever saw emptiness in a battery like that? Brilliant. I absolutely love the P4.

Reactions: Tobrouk
Agreed. The battery is pretty packed as is. Any more increase in size and weight would probably just contribute to balancing out to the same flight time.
Lots of people might have said the same thing about the P3P, too.
However, the stock P3P battery time of 15 minutes flying full throttle on the old motors was increased to 26 minutes by adding two external 2800 mAh Lipo batteries weighing in at 247g each.

I plan to do the same with my P4. The externals can be mounted between the front and back struts, with one on each side. Gaffers tape should work to attach them for testing purposes. Assuming an equivalent flight time gain on the P4, 25 minutes in Sport Mode should then be truly attainable, instead of just being just a figment of some marketing guy's ardent imagination! :rolleyes:

Lots of people might have said the same thing about the P3P, too.
However, the stock P3P battery time of 15 minutes flying full throttle on the old motors was increased to 26 minutes by adding two external 2800 mAh Lipo batteries weighing in at 247g each.

I plan to do the same with my P4. The externals can be mounted between the front and back struts, with one on each side. Gaffers tape should work to attach them for testing purposes. Assuming an equivalent flight time gain on the P4, 25 minutes in Sport Mode should then be truly attainable, instead of just being just a figment of some marketing guy's ardent imagination! :rolleyes:
I understand people trying gain more and more flight time... but those ugly modifications are not for me... I love the way P4 looks. Hanging 2 batteries at the sides is pretty much destroying the art behind this bird. It's like holding an iPhone 6 with 6xAA batteries duck-taped to the back... I might be wrong... o_O

Reactions: Tobrouk
I've never seen DJI release a higher capacity battery. Other manufactures do, eventually... but we've also seen DJI block the use of those batteries on the newer drones.

I understand people trying gain more and more flight time... but those ugly modifications are not for me... I love the way P4 looks. Hanging 2 batteries at the sides is pretty much destroying the art behind this bird. It's like holding an iPhone 6 with 6xAA batteries duck-taped to the back... I might be wrong... o_O
I fully agree, which was why I had high hopes for the "28 plus minute flight times..." Alas...:(

I bought 4 more batteries from Apple! Got them yesterday! Firmware update wasn't needed!! I love this new quad!!

It looks like DJI accounted for the heat generated inside of P4 when designing their battery.. I can see a manufacturer designing a higher capacity battery for P4 by eliminating the spacing between cells. All I can say is be prepared for your craft to shut down using 3rd party high capacity batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

It looks like DJI accounted for the heat generated inside of P4 when designing their battery.. I can see a manufacturer designing a higher capacity battery for P4 by eliminating the spacing between cells. All I can say is be prepared for your craft to shut down using 3rd party high capacity batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
A battery mod like on the P3P will fix the battery life. It will lose some of the sexy lines, but it will get the job done! :cool: Just add two external LiPo's in parallel with the internal battery, mounted between the struts, one on each side. Already in the works! Then, use a modded FPVLR or DBS transmitter to get the range you deserve, now supported by the extra battery life. QED.

Reactions: Tron_X
A battery mod like on the P3P will fix the battery life. It will lose some of the sexy lines, but it will get the job done! :cool: Just add two external LiPo's in parallel with the internal battery, mounted between the struts, one on each side. Already in the works! Then, use a modded FPVLR or DBS transmitter to get the range you deserve, now supported by the extra battery life. QED.

Looking forward to seeing that mod, will be interesting to see how well it holds up to the rigors of sport mode.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl