High wind behavior

Reaction score
I have noticed that in high wind, if I try to nudge the P3 gently against the wind, it will actually go in the opposite direction. I first noticed when I was too close to a building the wind was blowing against. I was a bit scared of crashing so I wanted to pull back slowly. I was shocked we the P3 just went closer. Luckily hover was perfect and I was able to land by going straight down.

I repeated the experiment and it happened again. The lesson is, in high wind, really comit to upwind inputs, over control it, no 5%, at least 25%.

I suspect this behavior explains some crashes. Had I crashed the first time this happened to me I would have assumed I pushed the stick the wrong way.

After some practice I got the hang of it. Here's a video of me having to do a very hairy hand catch on a boat when the wind came up mid flight.

:sweatsmile::sweatsmile::sweatsmile::sweatsmile::sweatsmile:

I have noticed that in high wind, if I try to nudge the P3 gently against the wind, it will actually go in the opposite direction. I first noticed when I was too close to a building the wind was blowing against. I was a bit scared of crashing so I wanted to pull back slowly. I was shocked we the P3 just went closer. Luckily hover was perfect and I was able to land by going straight down.

I repeated the experiment and it happened again. The lesson is, in high wind, really comit to upwind inputs, over control it, no 5%, at least 25%.

I suspect this behavior explains some crashes. Had I crashed the first time this happened to me I would have assumed I pushed the stick the wrong way.

After some practice I got the hang of it. Here's a video of me having to do a very hairy hand catch on a boat when the wind came up mid flight.
just out of interest did you have those prop guards on when you were flying in the high winds near that building?

Have you flown it without the props guards in the wind to compare the ability of the P3P.
i have read a few things about the p3p and one being the prop guards are a hinderence to the p3p in the wind

Have you flown it without the props guards in the wind to compare the ability of the P3P.
i have read a few things about the p3p and one being the prop guards are a hinderence to the p3p in the wind
Sadly no, and for the most part I don't want to when anywhere near people. But for the sake of experimentation I wish I had. Next time I get a chance I will try with and without. Note these are official DJI prop guards, but with aftermarket quick releases.

Sadly no, and for the most part I don't want to when anywhere near people. But for the sake of experimentation I wish I had. Next time I get a chance I will try with and without. Note these are official DJI prop guards, but with aftermarket quick releases.
i understand your caution especially hand catching on a boat, but i was on the understanding that prop guards have there use for indoor flying but outdoor will hinder performance in the wind as this youtube video shows

To the Op, you would have had an easier time with the bird in the reverse direction, camera facing away from you. Camera facing in is why everything was opposite for control. You might want to study and practice flying on land before attempting such flights from boats, not really understanding how to fly a drone that well, for your, the people around you, and the drones sake.

Yes shockwave is right.. This may be completely not the issue but when different directions means different controls.. Looking toward u is pretty well backwards just to say.. Anyways with that being said PROP GUARDS are a no go even dji issued guards they catch WAY TO MUCH WIND. I have flown mine in major wind and NOT to bad of flight lots of corrections are made but be sure to not fly in wind under 8 satellites. Sorry ur having ur issues but I will recommend taking the guards off. Its like u walking down the road normal windy day u cut through the wind. Ok experiment this walk normal toward the wind then deploy a tarp behind you I guarantee you will be forced to walk back a few 5 steps till u gain control (if u even do) or u fall backwards cause it cannot "cut" through the wind as well.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I was kinda assuming others would join in and say they have seen this behavior. I totally understand the skepticism, I was truly shocked when it happened the first time. It's not really a problem, once I was aware of it I practiced and can deal with it. I appreciate the advice on flying with the camera in the other direction but it's not necessary, I can fly equally as well in any 90 degree orientation, although I still need to work on my 45s. When it warms up outside I'll attempt to make a video proving the behavior, maybe use a leaf blower since it's generally not that windy here.

Yup, no question the guards are big sails.

Btw, my local hobby shop guy taught me the 'T' method to practice orientation flying. With the camera facing out, fly straight out, hover, fly straight back, hover, then fly to left and back and then do the right and back. Now rotate 90 degrees and repeat, etc.

Yesterday I had my first crash, I experienced something similar to what Makawao is saying. I was left of a building next to where I was landing, maybe it was the wind, but when it got close to the building it banked right to it. In my flight log I can see I clearly pushed left to avoid the crash, but once it was very close to the wall it still went right against the building. The camera was pointing forward and I was seeing the back of the P3A to avoid getting confused with my inputs (I always try to land like this). Maybe it was the wind or maybe next to walls/buildings there's this kind of sucking effect that pulls you closer to the wall.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Flying with those guards in any wind above gentle breeze, is like sailing that catamaran in a storm with an open spinnaker.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4