High Resolution, Manual Still Camera for Phantom?

I think the Sony RX100 will give you the best photo quality in a compact camera that can be lifted by the Phantom.
Another option is to stitch multiple images together from a lower res camera. Many of the small Canons can be set up for interval shooting with CHDK.

Wow, so many awesome responses, thank you all for coming through, this is exactly what I was hoping for.

halfpipe said:
the 808 is a high end camera with a 1inch sensor and has many shooting options capable of dslr quality
Have a look at http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/reviews/ ... 1_hard.php
Here is a picture I just took for you. its raining a bit and dreary

Thanks, I've actually done a lot of research the past day on this, and I'm extremely impressed by all this. And you have indeed put it on your phantom?

diomark said:
PS - here's a panoramic I took from my house.. (Note - I'm using the CHDK hacked firmware to ask the camera to take a pic every 2 seconds..)

This is also intense, and very inspiring. I do have an s100, perhaps I'll send'er up again, I tried when i first got it and crashed time after time, but i have flown nearly every day for months since then, so hopefully I'll be able to keep it up now.

fizzviic said:
What may look fine in an image here on your small monitor, falls apart if trying to enlarge it to say, 30 X 40 for an exhibition.

That is my exact problem. You worded it better. Thanks.

justsomeguy said:
diomark said:
In comparison, here's the same shot from the GoPro -

GOPR0231.JPG

Great comparison!

I wonder what the S95 image would look like if you smeared some Vaseline on its lens too?

That's actually fog...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I think I'm going to purchase a Nokia 808. The quality is surprisingly great, has some manual control, and the extra megapixels will be nice for making prints. Now I just have to find one for sale.

JonathanSippel said:
I think I'm going to purchase a Nokia 808. The quality is surprisingly great, has some manual control, and the extra megapixels will be nice for making prints. Now I just have to find one for sale.

Jonathan,

It's not about megapixels. The size of the sensor is the single most important part of the electronics, and the lens is the most important part of the optics.

The sensor in the 808 is incredible small. The additional pixels will cause noise in lower light, not additional resolution.

The lens on the 808 is low quality.

Over all, the Nokia is a cell phone, not a camera.

If you want better resolution, buy a camera. If you want to talk to someone buy a phone.

I have spent the better part of my life in Photography, and have a 55 DVD series on DIgital Camera's. I have a Youtube Channel with tons of info on digital photography, and I teach photography.

I know what I am talking about.

I am a former professional photography with degrees from Brooks Institute in Ad Illustration and Color Technology.

He knows from where he speaks.

PS, I yearn for the days of 4X5 Chromes in my AeroTeknica and my trusty Hassy, neither of which my Phantom could lift :p

Hi guys, I know where you're coming from. I'm more knowledgeable than you think I am. Ignore your immediate ideas in your head for a minute, when you read camera-phone. Give the resolution and quality a chance. I've already tried to use a canon s100 (which once again isn't pretty at the 100%, and only 12mp) and it's a tad too heavy for me to fly comfortably. Look at this photo:
7544797594_a8d9b58db9_o.jpg

100% crop is pretty darn good, and if it was grainy, it could be taken care of with tools in photoshop, brought down in resolution a bit, and it would still look amazing with a nice resolution. There is little to no fringing and vignetting, and it hardly softens toward the edges. So it's already way ahead of the gopro in my head, and to top it off it has far better manual control than the gopro, and a whopping resolution. It also shoots at intervals, and is lightweight.

I know megapixels aren't everything. That said, does anyone have useful information besides credentials that enforce the opinion that I shouldn't go with the Nokia 808?

The 808 (and the new Lumia 1020) have excellent cameras for a phone. But that's the key, for a phone.
They will give a low-end point and shoot a run for it's money but anything with a decent sized sensor and a good quality, glass lens will be better.

However, and this is a big one, the photographer takes the pictures, not the camera. I like to shoot with vintage cameras which by most people's measure are junk. But in the right hands they can produce works of beauty.

Next time someone looks at your pictures and says "Wow, that camera takes great pictures" go in to their kitchen, point at the oven and say "Wow, that oven makes great food". Same thing.

You guys are preaching to the choir, I KNOW THIS. Can nobody see the comparison between the QUALITY of the photographs, besides me? I'm strictly talking the quality of the camera, not the photographer or the circumstance. I'm not looking for a camera to shoot everything, I'm looking for what is best for the DJI Phantom, and comparing it to my now GoPro Hero 3 Silver. I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark II mainly, while using several different lenses, and I'm skilled and knowledgeable. I also have access to a Phase One 645DF+ with IQ2 Back, but unfortunately it's way too heavy for my DJI Phantom (HA). I know money can't buy talent, but I'm not looking for talent, just a high quality lightweight manual camera that will work well with my Phantom.

In that case, look to a quality, lightweight point and shoot.
I'm happy with the GoPro black. The image quality is excellent most of the time although slightly too compressed. The tradeoff in terms of weight is worth it though.

JonathanSippel said:
You guys are preaching to the choir, I KNOW THIS. Can nobody see the comparison between the QUALITY of the photographs, besides me? I'm strictly talking the quality of the camera, not the photographer or the circumstance. I'm not looking for a camera to shoot everything, I'm looking for what is best for the DJI Phantom, and comparing it to my now GoPro Hero 3 Silver. I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark II mainly, while using several different lenses, and I'm skilled and knowledgeable. I also have access to a Phase One 645DF+ with IQ2 Back, but unfortunately it's way too heavy for my DJI Phantom (HA). I know money can't buy talent, but I'm not looking for talent, just a high quality lightweight manual camera that will work well with my Phantom.

Your right, I am so completely wrong.

Your overriding opinion completely outweighs the actual facts engineering and physics of everything I have spent the past 10 years of my life working on.

I am so moved, I'll be dumping immediately my 36mp full frame Nikon D800, and the $20K in pro glass I have spent years building up. All so I can buy a cell phone with a sensor smaller than a pimple on my *** with a 5 cent plastic lens.

You have me convinced. Completely, totally.

Now, answer one simple question for me.

Why do people like you ask for help, get professional advice and completely ignore it.

I couldn't care less what you buy. You deserve the Cell phone camera. You are made for each other.

D

Oh my gosh, I don't want advice on a cam to use general purpose. I'm good in that area, thats not what i need a hand on. Someone earlier mentioned the Nokia 808, I'm in to that, but I'm interested in reasons i should or shouldn't get it. Why does everyone have trouble with that?

Don't get it Jonathon, it doesn't have the resolution you need. It will be blurry for your needs! Everyone says to stay away, i gope you understand!

So not buy
do not get it
don't use it
stay away
do not rouch one

If you ask again we will have to have you committed!

xstatic said:
Don't get it Jonathon, it doesn't have the resolution you need. It will be blurry for your needs! Everyone says to stay away, i gope you understand!

So not buy
do not get it
don't use it
stay away
do not rouch one

If you ask again we will have to have you committed!

He wasn't interested in getting advice about a still camera. He was looking for some sort of confirmation that his personal decision to buy a cell phone was the right idea.

He clearly didn't read any of the advice that was given to him by by the users, and experts that tried to help.

It happens a lot I am starting to understand.

So, he will buy the cel phone. He will install it, and he will NOT be happy. But we will not hear about it.

justsomeguy said:
CameraGuy said:
He clearly didn't read any of the advice that was given to him by by the users, and experts that tried to help.

It happens a lot I am starting to understand.

That is pure comedy gold right there!

Here is another example of someone not understanding advice and ignoring experts that tried to help. The major difference is that the following idiot completely freaked out. And continues to do so.

All over a toy...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1955918

So now you are stalking me?

How sad a life you must have. I feel badly for you. I'm guessing, no friends, live in your parents basement, Xbox is your life.

I think that is very very sad for you. To make it easier, I won't respond to any future posts you put up here.

I hope you sad little life gets better.

D

xstatic said:
So not buy
do not get it
don't use it
stay away
do not rouch one

Take a deep breath, through your nose. Hold on to it for a second. Now slowly let it out.
Okay. That was good.
..I bought one.
I am nothing short of thrilled!! It's better than the gopro for nearly everything. The intervalometer's quickest interval is 5 seconds, so that's one of the only downsides, as well as it's a little heavier, but I still have complete control. I can go into more detail if you guys like. And if you guys want I can post some samples. I also came up with a little DIY mount for it, and I'm pretty proud of that too. Thanks to those who mentioned the 808 in the first place.
-Jonathan

The Nokia 808 is amazing, and is a serious camera to consider to people wanting high quality stills to take with their Phantom.

Glad you got that resolved. Why not post a few photos.

Notice how he's ignoring the request.....

I'm guessing he has learned it is not what he thought it would be. No where near the GoPro, or the RX100, or any of the other cameras. He has a phone, and phone quality

I'm sorry for him, but he did get good advice, he just ignored it.

Sad really

D

Why is it everyone with a digital camera seems to think they are a photographer? Seemingly random shots in a "portfolio" do not a photographer make...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub