High quality power inverter for car charging?

Reaction score
I can buy a special battery car charger or I can buy a high quality inverter that has multiple uses for my upcoming trip. What do I need to look for in inverters? Something about the sine-wave? Anyone care to point out what I need?

Side note:
Are there any P3P battery charging stations that actually charge all the batteries at the same time?

I have a stanly inverter 200 watts with pluged in cig lighter it will not charge battery. 500 watts hooked up to car battery that works

The one NormaNormal works perfectly . I love it and have had it for months now. Perfect parallel charging. 3 battery's and remote at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: NormanNormal
I just got this one and it works great:

Amazon.com: BESTEK 200W Power Inverter 3 AC Outlets with 4.2A 4 USB Charging Ports: Car Electronics

It was recommended on phantomhelp.com
Each battery charges at 4 amps and if you charge one battery, it will draw minimum 4*17.5/12 = 5.8 Amps

If you are charging 3 batteries, it will draw 5.8*3=17.5A

What's rating of current at cigarette lighter input?

If I use that charger, I will connect directly to a battery and not through cigarette lighter.

Reactions: NormanNormal
Yeah, i would never use the paralell charger on the inverter with the cig plug. Just one battery at a time. The 100w dji charger is what i woild use and the other would be for home base only.

Yeah, i would never use the paralell charger on the inverter with the cig plug. Just one battery at a time. The 100w dji charger is what i woild use and the other would be for home base only.
Sorry for the dumb question but do you have to keep the engine running when charging?

Sorry for the dumb question but do you have to keep the engine running when charging?
It's not a dumb question.

Normal car batteries have rating between 20-40AHr and each p3 battery is 5AHr. If you tap the battery terminals directly, charging one battery should not be a problem as it would take about 80 minutes for charging. But keeping car on for 80 minutes without engine running will drain out the battery as other electronics too will be on.

It's not a dumb question.

Normal car batteries have rating between 20-40AHr and each p3 battery is 5AHr. If you tap the battery terminals directly, charging one battery should not be a problem as it would take about 80 minutes for charging. But keeping car on for 80 minutes without engine running will drain out the battery as other electronics too will be on.
Ahhh, excellent. Fortunately, all three of the power outlets on our car are live without the ignition on all so I guess that would be fine.

Another solution I found is a portable power pack like this one 5-in-1 Portable Power Pack with Jump Start

This way I can have two chargers plugged into the power pack (there are 2 AC outlets in the back with an internal inverter) and don't have to be sitting in the car waiting for it to charge. I would also have a back up power supply at the house for a power failure and a convenient way to jump start a dead car battery.

300 watts PD300 Power Drive inverter on this end. This one. Purchased at a local Love's truck stop for $35 or so.

Plugged in to the power port in my buddies Honda Pilot, plugged in two chargers with batteries [or my RC] and head down the road. When we get to where we planned to fly, batteries are ready. Works just fine. We did notice that with two chargers plugged into the inverter, it doesn't keep both charging at the same time. Not a problem, just an observation. When we are ready to fly - the batteries are at 100%.

Does anyone know if there is a power inverter that will run off a deep cell battery?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

My new explorer has a built in power inverter. 400w. No issues charging a battery and other devices at the same time.

Do note that new vehicles will most likely have a battery saver mode. My explorer tells me on the gauge cluster lcd screens that it's going into battery saver mode and cuts off all electrical through out the truck. Never had a start up issue (this only happens at the local drive in movie theater). Look to see if your vehicles have such mode.

It's not good to have highly over rated inverters as they become less efficient at low loads. These factors matter a lot when you have limited power source such as a car battery.

It's not good to have highly over rated inverters as they become less efficient at low loads. These factors matter a lot when you have limited power source such as a car battery.
I never said it's a car battery. It's hooked up to my deep cycle RV batteries in my RV. The inverter is not over rated for my applications.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers