High K Index

Reaction score
I were planning a test flight but better will wait because saw that at 12 noon the K-index rise to 5. At 9 am it was 3, then in 3 hours rise to 5.

phantomi said:
I were planning a test flight but better will wait because saw that at 12 noon the K-index rise to 5. At 9 am it was 3, then in 3 hours rise to 5.

Why not test to see if this is really a concern?

Many say it's not.

I have never looked or cared about K and have never had a problem.

Well,
I for one will say that I have never cared in the last 7 mos. of flying a Phantom and will likely not in the future.

No real evidence or testing just speculation of a [possible] 'correlation = causation' logical fallacy.

TEHO

N017RW said:
phantomi said:

Why not test to see if this is really a concern?

Many say it's not.

I have never looked or cared about K and have never had a problem.

Maybe it is not really a concern, but my flight can wait. ;)

I just posted this in another thread:

It's complicated but generally below 7, the only thing likely to be effected is GPS signal quality due to effects on both satellite and the signal it puts out. The erosion of signal quality is gradual and limited. It may have a noticeable impact on absolute positioning (e.g. using GPS to navigate via a map). But it will be less obvious for relative positioning (e.g. Phantom GPS mode), as the atmospheric shift tends to be gradual.

If you live closer to the poles, lower K values may have more influence.

phantomi said:
Now it is 4, but raining. Someone is telling me to not fly. :roll:

I say go for it. But if it does flyaway, please report back. I think we need to collect all the empirical evident that we can.

Thanks.

yawnalot29 said:
phantomi said:
Now it is 4, but raining. Someone is telling me to not fly. :roll:

I say go for it. But if it does flyaway, please report back. I think we need to collect all the empirical evident that we can.

Thanks.

THANK YOU! IT FLEW AWAY BECAUSE OF THE **** 5 K-INDEX. NOW YOU HAVE YOUR EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE! Just kidding.. ;) It fly beautifully as always, altough the index were down to 4.

I've searched but been able to get anything more than a vague "this might affect GPS" detail.
In 20 years experience using GPS on the ground I'm still to see real practical effect from solar storms and think the whole K-index thing is of dubious value for Phantom flying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.