High Altitude Flying

Reaction score
Does anybody have a rough guide to what altitude the fc40 goes into failsafe, and more importantly what sort of altitude does the phantom go out of eye sight. I have never gone that high yet but am going to try a high altitude flight soon but have nothing to cage on hight really. Be good to know when the phantom starts going out of eye sight on a clear day to how high it actually is, I know we all have different eye sight but there must be a sort of point were most cant see a phantom on a clear day. All so does the transmitter make a sound or anything to let me know i have gone to high and its gone into failsafe mode returning home. I have learnt how to regain control i think by flicking S1 to ATTI and back again but dont know how i can tell the phantom has gone into failsafe in the first place. Any help would be gggggreat.

In all the reading I've done, the limits on height and radius are determined in the NAZA software. The default is set to 2000 meters which is 6561.68 feet. If it goes beyond the limit, the phantom will stop and come back within that range where you will have control over it again. It does not go into failsafe mode, just returns to inside of the boundary set in NAZA. Hope this is helpful, I cant help with the other part of your question because my sense of distance is horrible. :)

Ohhhh i see, that is pretty high and i guess not many people go up that high with out a very very good FPV signal booster. Ok then i might take my first high flight up as far as i feel safe and then maybe some more (ie out of eye sight) and keeping an eye on flight time, and then bring it back down to eye sight again and if things go wrong flick to home lock and see how it goes. On another point when the phantom does go out of range at default 2000mts does the transmitter make any sort of noise to tell you. Thinking maybe i could set the NAZA to a certain hight to learn what altitude the phantom is at, if the transmitter does make a beep or flash or something to tell you.

hmmm I sent mine up as far as it would go once, thing came back and landed its self, didnt have any control of it at all. Let us know how you get on with your test.

I am not sure the standard receiver can go 2000 meters is it not about 800m ?? so when it hits 800m it goes into fail safe??

Mine went into failsafe too after high altitude. It was out of sight, but no way near the limit of 2,000 M. How do I disable that?

The limits are set higher than the thing can go, up or away. They are useless.Everyone needs to reset them before flying, IMHO.

I have had mine up to 850 feet. It was pretty darned small, and it's really easy to lose sight of it at heights like that.

Once it goes out of range in any direction, Failsafe will kick in. The problem with RTH from altitude is that is descends very slowly in Failsafe and you may run out of battery before you get it back down. This is a concern anytime you go high. IF it goes into Failsafe, you may not know it and will freak out when the quad doesn't respond to commands any more.

And coming down too fast, especially straight down can cause loss of control from prop wash, the props descending into unsteady air caused by the props.

I probably won't go so high now that I have a gimbal on it. It's so heavy, getting up there will use more battery and it will take more battery to slow down the descent.

Oh, if you have it up high above you, tilt the transmitter or antenna so the end of the antenna isn't pointing at the quad.

maximusa said:
Mine went into failsafe too after high altitude. It was out of sight, but no way near the limit of 2,000 M. How do I disable that?

Have you downloaded and installed the NAZA Assistant software yet? If not, do that before you fly it again. You want to turn on IOC, set Failsafe to "coming home and landing", etc.

Download the drivers and the first NAZA Assistant software. Install them in that order.

http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-fc40/download

im using a phantom 2, which is almost the same size as the fc40, i had the quad for about a month and im feeling more confident sending the quad on altitude flights. i dont have fpv somtheres no way to know how high im flying (that sound weird) however i do have a flytrex core2 installed and im able to review my flights.

last thursday i sent my quad very high until i became a tiny dot in the sky (i saw it as a 2/3mm dot in the sky) and thought it was very, very high. i assumed it was at least at 250mts high, when i get home and reviewed the flytrex data i did break my altitude record but just with 149 meters :|
http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopt ... cer-67176/

My highest altitude so far with my FC-40 has been 1305 feet, measured with a Jolly Logic altimeter and I had complete control the entire flight, no RTH kicked in.

Hi thanks, yes i have sorted out the NAZA and turned on IOC and failsafe, think its prob best now to turn down the height on it really which i will do so. many thanks again.

The advertised range in FCC mode is 500 yards, so I suppose the max height without some modifications would be around 1500 feet.

I am NOT going to send mine anywhere near that. :)

You guys do know that for those of us in the US, we're not supposed to fly above 400ft, correct?

darwin-t said:
Actually, it is 400 feet within 3 miles of an airport without permission from the airport

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.PDF

I think that's 400 feet maximum altitude beyond 3 miles from an airport. Either way, AMA rules don't trump FAA regulations. The FAA restricts model aircraft to 400 feet. I don't have a link to the regulation at the moment but feel free to research for yourself.

Out of curiosity, what is your understanding that the altitude maximum is?

Mike said:
darwin-t said:
Actually, it is 400 feet within 3 miles of an airport without permission from the airport

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.PDF

I think that's 400 feet maximum altitude beyond 3 miles from an airport. Either way, AMA rules don't trump FAA regulations. The FAA restricts model aircraft to 400 feet. I don't have a link to the regulation at the moment but feel free to research for yourself.

Out of curiosity, what is your understanding that the altitude maximum is?

You are right, at least from the FAA's position in 1981. Sorry for my mixup

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/91-57.pdf

maximusa said:

Connect your FC40 up to the Naza software and you can reconfigure the limits. I'd recommend not disabling the Failsafe if that's what you were asking however (you can do that as well) because you would have likely lost your bird.

As far as I know, the FC40 will go into failsafe anyhow when it loses connection, no matter what you set in Naza. You can't disable that. Only for low battery behaviour.

failsafe is not going to help when your battery is dead at 400ft, its going to drop like a brick. hope its in a big empty field when it dose. drop it on your head from 20 ft, see how it feels. try just dropping the battery from 20 ft on your head, :eek: you get the picture. you have to know how much life that batts got, and at 400ft you are not going to see any lights or hear the alarm. if your going to go up there , don't stay long, mite start smelling like fish, I know that's what mine would smell like only fly over water. I took mine up way up over the water it get small, bringing it down takes time, a lot of time, gets the blood running :lol: could see the whole island from up there at night, was nice to see but scary ,

What's more likely happening is the Phantom is going into RTH because it lost signal at those extreme heights. With good signal, you can't see the Phantom when it reaches it's limit. Not because it exceeded them. To demonstrate, set your limits to a much lower setting of say 25M or, 82'. When it reaches that limit it will not exceed it. It acts like a barrier. That's what the limits were designed to do. To prevent the Phantom from going beyond your set limit. That's why they're called, "LIMITS."

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20