Hi there anyone getting FPV range issues with P3S?

Reaction score
Only get to 70 m altitude before live feed drops on Iphone, tried Sony xperia to still 70 meters and drop. Anyone had this?

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

Location is everything. Some people get longer range than others due to the location they are flying. What altitude are you flying when this happens? What position do you have the TX antenna in when flying? Be sure the front of the TX is not blocked as the FPV antenna panels are inside the TX. Are you urban or rural?
70m sounds like there could be an issue. There have been cases where the cable for the antenna was not properly seated causing a weak signal.

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

Location is everything. Some people get longer range than others due to the location they are flying. What altitude are you flying when this happens? What position do you have the TX antenna in when flying? Be sure the front of the TX is not blocked as the FPV antenna panels are inside the TX. Are you urban or rural?
70m sounds like there could be an issue. There have been cases where the cable for the antenna was not properly seated causing a weak signal.

Hi there and thanks for the quick response!
im semi urban, that is on a street but near park and fields, canal etc.
I was just in the park and took off and went up to 70meters, this is when I get total loss of FPV, I tried to point antenna directly to it, parallel to floor, I have even fell for the old make your own windsurf thing out of card and tin foil! ( sucker I know! ) all of which have not made a blind bit of difference. DJI tech support tell me Iphone 5C is not supported neither is my sons Sony xperia but although I appreciated this could have some impact its not the phone/tablet making the link to the drone, its the RC to the drone and the phone just connects locally for FPV to RC does it not?
thanks.

So you are trying to use an unsupported device? It may very well be the problem. While the quad sends the FPV to the TX the TX sends it to the device. If the device is not up to the task it may be the culprit. I would try with a supported device and see if that improves things. If you don't use the recommended device it is hard to tell where your problem is.
PS - a reflector like the wind surfer does help, but in the case of the P3S if your not careful the windsurfer could block the FPV panels inside the TX. Look on the front edge of your TX and it has a printed warning where they are located.

Hi yes I make sure they are not covered with anything, and my next step is to use my brothers Iphone 6, but my view is it either works or not, as in you can get wifi link or not, not sure why it would stop working at 70m alt, like you say so long as the RC and drone are not blocked then should be OK, I will post my findings when I try with the 6.
thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl