Hi i'm a newbie with Questions

Reaction score
Hi I took my standard out yesterday for the first time, kept it in beginers mode and just had a play for 10mins or so. I'm 65 and never had anything Remote Controlled before so I intend to be cautious.
Now can you help me
The video was dark so would having it on auto correct this until I get to learn a bit more about the cameras controls ?
Can I charge the RC directly from the wall using my iPhone charger ?
Where is the best place to get a spare battery ?
I have some propeller guards without instructions, what is the string for and do I need it ?

I hope that someone can help me Thank you

Hi,

I always charger my RC with mobil charger (from my Sam Galaxy S6) without any problem.
Spare battery... I have extra bag for whole p3s where is place for extra bat too.
Propeller guards are great for beginners or for indoor flying where is possibility to hit the Wall for example. Guards dont let the Propellers broken. Instalation should be easy... Just few screews.

Happy flying.

Jirka1022

Sent from my SM-G531F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: philjory
You can use the ipone charger bit will need a micro usb cable to plug into the remote.

Yes, auto settings should be good, get used to flying then think about manual camera settings.

I cant help you with the prop guards and the string. I have never used prop gaurds.

Go for the best price for battery, just make sure its genuine DJI and try to go for a vendor with good turnover so you dont get old stock.

Happy flying!

The video was dark so would having it on auto correct this until I get to learn a bit more about the cameras controls ?
Auto is fine to use.
I shoot most of my work on auto.

If the screen is really dark, it could be that things are accidentally set to underexpose.
See the Blue EV0 in the upper part of this screen?
i-kGtmQ4G-M.png

Check that this stays on or close to zero.
If it is negative (like EV-3.0) your screen will be very dark and at EV+3.0 it will be way overexposed.
Use the right-side thumb wheel to dial it back when needed.

Auto is fine to use.
I shoot most of my work on auto.

If the screen is really dark, it could be that things are accidentally set to underexpose.
See the Blue EV0 in the upper part of this screen?
i-kGtmQ4G-M.png

Check that this stays on or close to zero.
If it is negative (like EV-3.0) your screen will be very dark and at EV+3.0 it will be way overexposed.
Use the right-side thumb wheel to dial it back when needed.
I think he has a standard Meta, im not aure if he has a thumb wheel for exposure (i confess i didnt study the remote catefully but dont recall seeing one when i had the chance to fly with a p3 standard operator).

im not aure if he has a thumb wheel for exposure
The P3S does not have a thumb wheel for setting the exposure.

Where is the best place to get a spare battery?
You can buy OEM DJI batteries directly from DJI or here on Amazon. There are third party batteries that look like OEM DJI batteries, so be careful if you decide to buy them elsewhere. OEM DJI batteries are usually never sold for less than ~$100 USD.

I have some propeller guards without instructions, what is the string for and do I need it?
If they are DJI props guards, you can download the instructions here.

The string is supposed to help prevent objects from entering between the props guards. The thought of that string kind of scares me since it could wrap around the props if it breaks and take down the Phantom.

The P3S does not have a thumb wheel for setting the exposure.

You can buy OEM DJI batteries directly from DJI or here on Amazon. There are third party batteries that look like OEM DJI batteries, so be careful if you decide to buy them elsewhere. OEM DJI batteries are usually never sold for less than ~$100 USD.

If they are DJI props guards, you can download the instructions here.

The string is supposed to help prevent objects from entering between the props guards. The thought of that string kind of scares me since it could wrap around the props if it breaks and take down the Phantom.
I was pretty sure re absence of the exposure wheel. The string concept is just plain scary.

Re the prop guards something probably worth mentioning is that the longer screws used for mounting should not be used if they (the guards) are ever removed. They can damage the motor windings.

I agree with all of the above, I use fish line with my prop guards, looks better and looks more dangerous.
I haven't put it back on lately, not good making fish knots. Think of hitting a persons arm or small kids neck, or a branch just between the prop guards the props are still going to hit that object. With the string that would be greatly avoided, it might be able to bounce off that object and both parties survive.
I almost always have prop guards on, they have saved me couple times, which could have been costly crash, one time actually breaking a prop guard.

Rod

Oh, @philjory, welcome to the forum!

Come back, ya hear, don't wait for a crash either.
;)

Last edited:
Hi Phil, this is unrelated to your question but if u haven't made one yet a pre flight checklist is a good idea. Here's a great 1 that's located at the top of your page. Check it out an fly safe.
Phantom 3 Standard Checklist

Thank you all for your replies, I will let you know how I get on.
My P£ Standard does not have a wheel on the right side of the RC.
Does anyone have any luck filming Birds with their Drones ?

Thank you all for your replies, I will let you know how I get on.
My P£ Standard does not have a wheel on the right side of the RC.
Does anyone have any luck filming Birds with their Drones ?
Given the wide FOV birds appear small in the frame (unless you get ptetty close). As a rule i would avoid flying close. I.make a point of not flying low over birds on the ground, particularily with the sun directly above. They are often spooked by the shadow and will fly up unpredictably. I also try not to follow in flight or fly towards them at a simmillar altitude. Most birds are particularily willing to have a go when nesting. Hawks and eagles are especially territorial and agressive. Recently it has been crows that have actively persued me for unknown reasons. The best evasive action i have found is increasing aktitude while retreating in the opposite direction of approach.

Reactions: gvsukids
I use prop guards, as some of the places I fly have tall grass and low bushes. My set has two red and two white guards; I mount the two red prop guards up front, and the white in the rear. The red guards in front help me see and monitor flight direction and camera orientation, especially at longer distances.

String - throw it away. Every use I can imagine seems dangerous.

Learn to fly at night....best practice as you will learn the sticks. Forget the prop guards learn to hand catch, fly a lot....mine is in its back pack case in my car 24-7 ready to go...manage your batteries well...calibrate machine regularily...plan your flights....trust the technology and be smart. Tom....250 flights P3A ....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31