Hi guys would new owners of the P4 truly recommend buying one,

Reaction score
Hi new member here, I've seen lots of problems brought to this forum some have been helped out by other members and some have changed there P4s two three times. should I wait till all the teething problems have been ironed out? (Hoping they will). I'm from Adelaide Australia and we don't have as many pilots here as the USA. Was wondering if other Aussies could tell me where they brought there's , how much they paid and if any problems they seem to be having ,are contained to different areas like the USA. One more thing people who brought there P4s from Apple seem to have less problems returning them,I seem to see lots of people saying that DJI have no after sales service ,true or not.....Tred

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi new member here, I've seen lots of problems brought to this forum some have been helped out by other members and some have changed there P4s two three times. should I wait till all the teething problems have been ironed out? (Hoping they will). I'm from Adelaide Australia and we don't have as many pilots here as the USA. Was wondering if other Aussies could tell me where they brought there's , how much they paid and if any problems they seem to be having ,are contained to different areas like the USA. One more thing people who brought there P4s from Apple seem to have less problems returning them,I seem to see lots of people saying that DJI have no after sales service ,true or not.....Tred

I've had my P4 for 2 weeks now. I did have a problem with my iPad not connecting. The issue is no longer a problem. I'm very happy with my purchase and feel it was worth the money,( if you compare to other models that would have the features and capabilities).
I can understand what frustrations new owners can have and when things don't go right they look at the money they have spent and feel they are not happy. These are a brand new model and like anything that has lots of new technology, there will be bugs to work out. The popularity of the P4 has surly ramped up the production for DJI and I'm sure they have been inundated with calls to there tech support who probably were not up to speed. A problem arises and they have no clue.
That is why forums like these are important and people who have common interests are always willing to help others in their community. For over 10 years I worked for a machine manufacturer, in sales and tech support. This was before YouTube and other social media venues. I had to handle all the calls from the new guys who had never been around a machine shop and we're learning from scratch! As well as guiding people through programming CNC machines with no computer experience.
Bottom line is: there is always going to be a learning curve in anything that is new and unfamiliar. Patience is needed on both sides. I wanted to buy a P3 but after seeing the capabilities of the P4 I was sold. Don't try to bite off more than you can chew! Take things slow and research before you purchase, watch as many reviews as you can handle. But remember everyone's opinions can vary.
Like I said, I'm happy with my purchase, and feel I've got a good system that will do more than I need.

Hi Tred, I have a P3A and have just sold my P3P. Both are incredible and mostly reliable. The problem I had with the 4k camera on the P3P was nothing to do with the machine it was the management of the footage. A 4k camera footage ideally needs to be viewed on a 4k TV or you are not seeing the incredible definition it offers. At this time I have neither a 4k TV or an editing programme which will manage 4k. My P3A which films in 1080 is sufficiently clear for my needs as a pure hobbyist. The reason I say all of this is that the P4 has a 4k camera and as such you would also need the TV etc to get full benefit. I have researched the P4 and although some complain of range and speed in normal flight it appears that it is more robust than it predecessors and has some additional features such as tracking and object avoidance. OA though is only front facing and is not foolproof so may tend to give a false sense of security . The tracking and follow feature is good but has now been replicated in the Litchi app so applies to all the P3 range. For the price I am not convinced that you would benefit greatly over and above the P3P or P3A depending on your camera preference. Both are now being offered new and used at bargain prices so financially worth consideration. Hope this helps with your decision . Regards Ian .

Reactions: peterepeat69
A 4k camera footage ideally needs to be viewed on a 4k TV or you are not seeing the incredible definition it offers.

YES.. I have a 50 inch 4K smart TV. After a flight I sometimes plug my microSD card directly into a card reader that's connected to the USB port on the TV. Then I watch the raw footage. 4K video is very impressive viewed this way!

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Gday, I've gone from building my own drones to my first dji product. I'm in Brisbane and ordered the 4 direct from dji. Ordered it in Monday received on Friday same week. Have had no issues. Extremely happy with the quality to price ratio. If you download the dji+discover app it comes up with areas people fly and some also organise get togethers so you can meet other keen owners. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: David Cooke
I pre-ordered my Ph4 directly from DJI. So I have had it over 5 weeks now. I have never owned a P3 or any Phantom at all for that matter. My buddy has one. And I got to see it up close. They are a steal for the price on them now for sure. But... the build quality of the bird and the camera gimble quality are no match for the P4! As for range issues of the P4 that have been highly listed in this forum, I think that is really just a matter of your location. Just watched a youtube video of a guy that took his P4 out in the exact location as he did his P3p and he actually got 2000 more feet with his P4 as he did with his P3p. If you want to fly long distance's in a high interference area, you are going to want to modify your antenna system anyway. The super fast sport mode is awesome to get back fast for your next shot or if you are out quite a ways and need to hurry a little for battery's sake. But all in all I have been super impressed with the Phantom 4 experience! It's all a learning process and it makes you think which is cool!

I'm a first time droner with a P4. You should never make a product decision based on forum input, because it is generally slanted towards people who have complaints / issues - for every complaint you see here there are hundreds of people enjoying the product. It has worked well for me so far - just take it slow and give yourself time to learn.

Actually had my first flight time today having never owned a quad copter (or phantom), let me tell it was awesome ! I took it easy, did lots of research before hand (tutorials, videos, manual reading, forum reading etc). I had the same questions before pulling the trigger and I'm so glad I did. Had no issues with upgrading firmware, no weird gimbal noises, no issues connecting to my tablet etc.... Was a great first experience.

Ive not read all this post.. but yer id recommend one.... its like saying do you recommend a Porsche... some do have problems now and then. like any car but most do not..

Reactions: CL6RKEE
Would I recommend it? Hard to say without knowing more. Is it a great Phantom? Yes. Is it the best Phantom for you? I don't know. Do you need the new functions of the 4? Do you have the budget for it (and the accessories you need)? If you answered yes to the last 2 questions I'd recommend it. If you didn't I'd need more info before saying yes or no.

Hi Tred, I have a P3A and have just sold my P3P. Both are incredible and mostly reliable. The problem I had with the 4k camera on the P3P was nothing to do with the machine it was the management of the footage. A 4k camera footage ideally needs to be viewed on a 4k TV or you are not seeing the incredible definition it offers. At this time I have neither a 4k TV or an editing programme which will manage 4k. My P3A which films in 1080 is sufficiently clear for my needs as a pure hobbyist. The reason I say all of this is that the P4 has a 4k camera and as such you would also need the TV etc to get full benefit. I have researched the P4 and although some complain of range and speed in normal flight it appears that it is more robust than it predecessors and has some additional features such as tracking and object avoidance. OA though is only front facing and is not foolproof so may tend to give a false sense of security . The tracking and follow feature is good but has now been replicated in the Litchi app so applies to all the P3 range. For the price I am not convinced that you would benefit greatly over and above the P3P or P3A depending on your camera preference. Both are now being offered new and used at bargain prices so financially worth consideration. Hope this helps with your decision . Regards Ian .
Apples and oranges on 3rd party tracking and Activ-Trac, cmon.

I have been building drones for years including octo's, hexes and quads. Spent hundreds of dollars on different video transmitters, radios, etc, for clear video transmission to a ground station. Spent money on gimbles and cameras and never could get the steady video I was looking for. Jumped to 3dr and bought two of their drones, but still didnt care for the steadyness of their drones in gps mode, and the video just wasnt there. Bought a Phantom 3 pro.....wow! bought a dji inspire and wow! P 4... the same. In my eyes, there is no other drone out there that has the flight range, video downlink range/ quality, video steadyness, and the gps/ imu redundancy that a Phantom 4 has! I have a room full of drones that just sit and never get flown. Its all DJI products for me now.

Hi there justgregg thanks for your input I've watched many videos and seen lots of forum inputs and most agree with yourself. Have you tried to contact DJI yet if so how did you do? Or anybody, I'm interested to know where I go when there's a problem in the future if I crash my bird or need spare parts.Looking to find the best place and price in Adelaide Australia...Tred

Have you tried to contact DJI yet if so how did you do? Or anybody, I'm interested to know where I go when there's a problem in the future if I crash my bird or need spare parts.Looking to find the best place and price in Adelaide Australia...Tred
Here's teh DJI Store: Official DJI Online Store | DJI Store
Look around for local drone shops and ask if they do repairs or have someone in the area.
DJI keep a lid on prices and you won't find much variation.

Absolutely. Great machine flies beautifully don't try and use iPad Air 2 with it. It can't recognize a P4 but Mini 4 is great. Not too heavy

Iv'e been flying mine perfectly without a glitch for over a month now on a brand new Air 2! Love the 10in screen for sure!

I was very new to drones but got a P3 Standard in January at a very good price when they dropped the price by 30%. Didn't get to fly it much because of the awful weather here in the UK but really enjoyed the few I did. Bought a iPad mini 4 to go with it as the iphone was far too small.

Then along comes the P4. After resisting for some time whilst reading and watching loads of reports the impulse buyer lurking in me surfaced in the Apple store and that was it!

Nothing wrong with the Standard but I just love the P4. Everything just feels right and the
stills and videos look outstanding even on the regular HD monitor attached to my Mac.

The Standard goes on eBay this week and 4K monitors aren't that expensive. Another buying opportunity appears. The P4 is a beautiful piece of kit!

Reactions: KevMo Photog

I absolutely love my P4 but the yuneec typhoon H is coming out soon, personally i would wait to see how the typhoon performs in the wild. if reviews are good i might pick one up too.

I spend loads of time reading forums when I'm buying a new product, and what I find is most people only go to forums when they have a problem or need and answer. I know I do.
It can appear more like a product having issues, how many times have you heard something like;

'I've seen loads of people on the forums with problems!'

I generally don't go on just to say 'Hey mine is great and I have no issues.'

Most of the time, forums don't stop me buying something, they just make me aware of things to look for or how to sort the teething problems.

Had my P4 out of the box for 2 days, flown about 40 minutes, took it straight out over the sea and I love it. The wind stopped me today as it was just getting in to it.

It's an expensive toy, as much as I'd be gutted if I lost it or broke it, no point having a product like this if you're not gong to use it to its potential.

I'd say get one! Don't think twice about it.

Clarkee.

I got mine from Aus cameras even though it comes from HongKong it only took 5 days it's $200 cheaper and works fine I love it I live in Adelaide mclarenvale . Get an extra battery . Mine works with iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro 12inch it's awesome .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.