Hi guys! New from San Diego!

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here. I've been getting really interested in drones and the footage and images that can be captured with one. I haven't bought one yet because I can't seem to make up my mind in which model I want to buy. Money is a factor and this is my first one. The 2 models I'm looking at are the Phantom 3 Professional and Phantom 4 (I'd buy either one as a refurb as it's cheaper). I noticed that additional batteries for the Phantom 3 are cheaper. Another thing that I'm wary of is that there seems to be more issues with the Phantom 4 from the reviews I'm seeing on Amazon, particularly DOAs, is the Phantom 4 more unreliable? Also does the P3P have the same smart features as the P4? Any other insight is appreciated.

Also I found that you can get insurance for these. State Farm is all I've seen, any others?

Thanks for any info provided.

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

I noticed that additional batteries for the Phantom 3 are cheaper.
These batteries are usually pretty close in price. P3 batteries are currently going for $127 here on Amazon. P4 batteries are currently going for $118 here on Amazon.

there seems to be more issues with the Phantom 4 from the reviews I'm seeing on Amazon
Judging by the posts made in this forum, I'd say there are an equal amount of issues. It is true that some people are getting Phantoms that have dead batteries. That can happen when batteries are left in the box unattended for many months.

is the Phantom 4 more unreliable?
It does come with more sensors and dual compasses/IMUs. You can read about the other improvements here.

does the P3P have the same smart features as the P4?
The P4 has some new flight modes.

I found that you can get insurance for these. State Farm is all I've seen, any others?
I have a list of commonly used insurance options here:

Reactions: gryffinwings
Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
This bunch here are the smartest you will find anywhere :)

Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

Thank you!

These batteries are usually pretty close in price. P3 batteries are currently going for $127 here on Amazon. P4 batteries are currently going for $118 here on Amazon.

Thanks for this, I completely forgot to check amazon and went of prices based on the DJI website, which has a much bigger price gap between the two models.

Judging by the posts made in this forum, I'd say there are an equal amount of issues. It is true that some people are getting Phantoms that have dead batteries. That can happen when batteries are left in the box unattended for many months.

It does come with more sensors and dual compasses/IMUs. You can read about the other improvements here.

So you would say that besides the DOA problems that the P4 should be inherently more reliable than the P3P due to more sensor redundancy? and in general they are both reliable hardware construction wise?

The P4 has some new flight modes.

What I was interested in, is what flight modes are available that aren't available on the P3P, considering most up to date firmware is installed? I'm not completely familiar with understanding all the modes and why I would need the P4 with it's additional flight modes and how they are implemented. I could use a comparison for a beginner.

Thanks for the information so far, very helpful.

So you would say that besides the DOA problems that the P4 should be inherently more reliable than the P3P due to more sensor redundancy?
I don't know if the P4 is more reliable with its dual compasses/IMUs, but it should be since there is a backup in case either compass/IMU fails mid-flight.

in general they are both reliable hardware construction wise?
The construction of the P4 is noticeably better. The shell is not known for cracking around the motor screws like the P3 line.

what flight modes are available that aren't available on the P3P
In addition to all of the P3 flight modes, the P4 also includes ActiveTrack and TapFly.

Well guys, I ended up ordering the Phantom 3 Pro, I'm really excited to learn how to fly it I'm already watching videos for it! Is there a good site for drone laws based on which state you are in that also includes the federal regulation? Also am I able to register with the FAA before I my drone is delivered?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers