Hi guys just joined ,have some questions

Reaction score
Waiting to buy my p4,was wondering a couple of things,I'm in Australia and it seems that people talk about there being a difference in the p4 here and the ones sold in the USA, if so could anybody tell me what they are.Sounds silly but does the p4 have a built in mic? I've seen lots of videos some with lots of wind noise others without. There seems to be a lot of different distance that people get, I think it quotes about 4.5 kilometres what can I truly expect?. And last of all would the p4 be the best unit for somebody like myself to buy to who has never flown anything,but is so interested any help appreciated ...Tred

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
I can't speak to the differences from the US to Australia but the P4 does not have a mic. Distance is a product of your flying environment. Will you fly in open areas, no signal/wifi interference, urban areas, mountainous areas? These are all factors that will affect your range. You can assist the range capability by choosing a Custom channel within the Go App and setting your video downlink to 4mbs. The 32 Channel Mod may also help to choose a good flying channel, or there are then options of antennae boosters, both expensive and cheap. I live in a signal free environment and I am completely stock and so far I have flown out 10,000 ft and could have gone further. The P4 was my first real drone and I fly it fine. But I did have a cheap one that I flew until it gave out. Read your manual, practice on the simulator and don't try and outfly your ability and you should be fine. The P4 is an easy drone to fly if you are smart about it.

Welcome fellow Australian,
I've had mine for a week now and are loving it.
The P4 is easy to set to and even easier to fly.
Keep it on beginners mode for your first few flights to get the hang of things and you'll be right - echo the comment of then early post - don't outfly your own limitations, get comfortable with handling her and understand what the DJI Go does and the various controls on the RC.
I've Never owned or flown a drone of any description before so it's been a bit of a learning curve, but a lot of fun. I'm confidently flying above water now and have also done a couple of night flights.
Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Congrats on your new p4
Im from Australia too and planning on getting my first drone soon.

I was going to get the p3 pro for a while now but then the p4 has come along..

Still not sure which one to get????

Sounds like your happy with the p4
Hope the p4 is beginner friendly i might just might pull the trigger on a p4

Keep it on beginners mode for your first few flights to get the hang of things and you'll be right - echo the comment of then early post - don't outfly your own limitations, get comfortable with handling her and understand what the DJI Go does and the various controls on the RC.
I've Never owned or flown a drone of any description before so it's been a bit of a learning curve, but a lot of fun. I'm confidently flying above water now and have also done a couple of night flights.
Enjoy.

It's sure good to know fellow Australians on here too,so you said stay on beginners mode for a while sounds like good advice,do you use an iPad or phone? ,there seems like so many things you can adjust too,I guess when I have mine in my hands will be easier to understand.i have checked out all the videos on the app and watched much posted stuff too.Where did you get your p4 from and what price did you pay they all seem to be priced the same except on eBay ( china) which I worry about spending so much.

Hi Tred. Im in NSW. I was going through the same thing last week. I ended up getting a P4
Way more to it than the P1 which I originally flew. Having said that the P4 is amazing. I read all the manual and watched all the tutorials before my first flight. Then I started it up outside without the props to set the home position before my first flight.
It's rock solid even in a fair breeze. I set my max distance before flying and the Dji go app talks to you with prompts. It's pretty cool. I don't regret spending the extra over the P3pro

I'm in Australia and it seems that people talk about there being a difference in the p4 here and the ones sold in the USA, if so could anybody tell me what they are.
You'll find that people talk about all kinds of things - and not all are true.
Apart from the power cords on the charger, there's no difference between the Phantoms sold in the US and Australia.
Sounds silly but does the p4 have a built in mic? I've seen lots of videos some with lots of wind noise others without. There seems to be a lot of different distance that people get, I think it quotes about 4.5 kilometres what can I truly expect?
Yes... it would be silly to have a microphone on the Phantom.
All you'd hear is the swarm of killer bees that gets boring and irritating after about 3 seconds.
You've seen old videos from gopro cameras mounted on drones - no-one else records sound.
There seems to be a lot of different distance that people get, I think it quotes about 4.5 kilometres what can I truly expect?.
And last of all would the p4 be the best unit for somebody like myself to buy to who has never flown anything,
Range is variable and affected by a number of factors.
Your local environment is probably the most important.
You will get great range in wilderness areas or over the ocean and much less in urban areas.
The P3 and P4 are both outstanding machines and much easier to fly than you imagine.
There is however quite a lot to learn to be proficient.
Don't discount the P3 Advanced and Pro as they share many features of the P4.
If you don't need the new features of the P4, the Lightbridge equipped P3s give you most of the performance of the P4 and enough money to buy plenty of batteries etc.

Thanks guys only one thing to overcome now before my purchase ,that's trying to justify it to the wife lol.cant wait to try this out will post when first flight

Enjoy.

Agree on all points. +1

Thanks guys only one thing to overcome now before my purchase ,that's trying to justify it to the wife lol.cant wait to try this out will post when first flight

LOL. Was in the same boat here, although I had been bugging her the last year to buy a Segway....she bought into this being a new hobby and getting outside, exercise riding bike to launch locations etc....and was more than 1/2 the price (even after extra batteries, good backpack, etc).

Hi there KeithS

I'm located in Adelaide looked around a bit, what price are you guys paying over in Sydney?they all seem to be around $2400 give or take a few bucks. Was it a bit of a worry the first flight ,think I'm more worried at telling the wife I've crashed it or even worse lost it lol. Was looking to see if the price might drop a bit considering it's only just been released in Australia what do you think.Thats the same path I took, 'look honey it's a great new hobby ,will get me out over the park,get me fitter,kids will like it too and you might enjoy too,then I could make some money too,.(work in the construction industry,building inspections)will let you know if I win lol.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen