Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Hi and help please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Iron Creek, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Iron Creek

What a way to begin....

I've been lurking here for several weeks and have had my Phantom for almost as long. I've found it easy to fly and operate until this morning.

I had installed the prop guards (training wheels) for the first couple flights in order to save on any mishaps; everthing was good. I decided to remove them a couple days ago and haven't had a chance to fly until this morning. I go through the normal power up only to have all four props studdering with little power. No additional power from the controller. I chacked everything and the only thing thats changed it the screws being put back in place after removing the guards. Too tight? I went through each motor tweaking the 2-screws and got first 1- then 2 working as they should (both clockwise) the remaining props are still studdering or not turning at all with no light on under the arm.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any information. I bought this from B&H and they CS is less than good so I turned here for help.

2. edunwody

I read somewhere, no actual first hand knowledge that the screws that hold the guards on are longer than without the guards. Could that be a issue?

E

3. Iron Creek

The screws are reused to install the guards I just doubled checked that...

4. edunwody

5. Iron Creek

Crap!

I could have sworn there wasn't any screws included w/the guards. Oh well looks like I need to replace 2-motors.

Thanks

Don

6. edunwody

Hey, I would have probably done the same thing.
    Not sure what the outcome of the other post was.

Feel your pain brother.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

7. edunwody

They need to have a big red WARNING on the package about this.

E

8. Iron Creek

Just order 4-new motors and a screw kit. Should be back in the air in a couple days (fingers crossed)

Don

9. edunwody

Climb back on that horse and ride!

E

10. Iron Creek

No worries on that. I've cracked the case and unsoldered the first of the 4. Should have the replacements Fri along with a screw kit. Looking at Sat to be back in the air. Need this working as its going to Jackson Hole WY in a week.

Don

11. Iron Creek

Thought I'd offer an update...

Thru my own stupidly I reused the longer screws from the guards after removing them causing the motors to quit. I went to UAV Direct and ordered OEM replacements arrived yesterday and immediately went about installing them. The first 2-went on with little to no problems, the 3rd caused me some slight problems which included melting a small portion of the arm. The 4th was a complete disaster; not only did I melt a small area of the arm, I also got the very last connector so hot that it separated from the ESC. I powered up just to see what the damage actually was and found I had 2-motors at full speed, one stuttering and one not moving at all (the broken ESC).

I guess I could replace the ESC however I feel I met my match. I remember Dirty Harry saying "a man has to know his limitations". So on to Plan B - I have a new one coming early next week which is just in time for me leaving on a 4 week photo shoot. Plan C might be selling the controller and charger while Plan D is to sell the older bird for parts.

Despite all this I really enjoy flying and can see how it could be incorporated into our work.

Don

12. edunwody

If it were me, I'd send her to a Phantom shop and let them repair.

That's just me.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Iron Creek

I would however i need/want this in Jackson Hole and don't have the time to wait. The good news is that I sold the unit to UVA Direct my new dealer and have a replacement coming early next week. It maight not be the most cost effective way however if I can get usabe footage on this next trip it will more than pay for itself.

Thanks to all

Don