Hi and help please

Reaction score
What a way to begin....

I've been lurking here for several weeks and have had my Phantom for almost as long. I've found it easy to fly and operate until this morning.

I had installed the prop guards (training wheels) for the first couple flights in order to save on any mishaps; everthing was good. I decided to remove them a couple days ago and haven't had a chance to fly until this morning. I go through the normal power up only to have all four props studdering with little power. No additional power from the controller. I chacked everything and the only thing thats changed it the screws being put back in place after removing the guards. Too tight? I went through each motor tweaking the 2-screws and got first 1- then 2 working as they should (both clockwise) the remaining props are still studdering or not turning at all with no light on under the arm.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any information. I bought this from B&H and they CS is less than good so I turned here for help.

Iron Creek said:
What a way to begin....

I've been lurking here for several weeks and have had my Phantom for almost as long. I've found it easy to fly and operate until this morning.

I had installed the prop guards (training wheels) for the first couple flights in order to save on any mishaps; everything was good. I decided to remove them a couple days ago and haven't had a chance to fly until this morning. I go through the normal power up only to have all four props studdering with little power. No additional power from the controller. I chacked everything and the only thing thats changed it the screws being put back in place after removing the guards. Too tight? I went through each motor tweaking the 2-screws and got first 1- then 2 working as they should (both clockwise) the remaining props are still studdering or not turning at all with no light on under the arm.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any information. I bought this from B&H and they CS is less than good so I turned here for help.

I read somewhere, no actual first hand knowledge that the screws that hold the guards on are longer than without the guards. Could that be a issue?

E

Iron Creek said:
Crap!

I could have sworn there wasn't any screws included w/the guards. Oh well looks like I need to replace 2-motors.

Thanks

Don

Hey, I would have probably done the same thing.
Not sure what the outcome of the other post was.

Feel your pain brother.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Iron Creek said:
Just order 4-new motors and a screw kit. Should be back in the air in a couple days (fingers crossed)

Don

Climb back on that horse and ride!

E

edunwody said:
Iron Creek said:
Just order 4-new motors and a screw kit. Should be back in the air in a couple days (fingers crossed)

Don

Climb back on that horse and ride!

E

No worries on that. I've cracked the case and unsoldered the first of the 4. Should have the replacements Fri along with a screw kit. Looking at Sat to be back in the air. Need this working as its going to Jackson Hole WY in a week.

Don

Thought I'd offer an update...

Thru my own stupidly I reused the longer screws from the guards after removing them causing the motors to quit. I went to UAV Direct and ordered OEM replacements arrived yesterday and immediately went about installing them. The first 2-went on with little to no problems, the 3rd caused me some slight problems which included melting a small portion of the arm. The 4th was a complete disaster; not only did I melt a small area of the arm, I also got the very last connector so hot that it separated from the ESC. I powered up just to see what the damage actually was and found I had 2-motors at full speed, one stuttering and one not moving at all (the broken ESC).

I guess I could replace the ESC however I feel I met my match. I remember Dirty Harry saying "a man has to know his limitations". So on to Plan B - I have a new one coming early next week which is just in time for me leaving on a 4 week photo shoot. Plan C might be selling the controller and charger while Plan D is to sell the older bird for parts.

Despite all this I really enjoy flying and can see how it could be incorporated into our work.

Don

Iron Creek said:
Thought I'd offer an update...

Thru my own stupidly I reused the longer screws from the guards after removing them causing the motors to quit. I went to UAV Direct and ordered OEM replacements arrived yesterday and immediately went about installing them. The first 2-went on with little to no problems, the 3rd caused me some slight problems which included melting a small portion of the arm. The 4th was a complete disaster; not only did I melt a small area of the arm, I also got the very last connector so hot that it separated from the ESC. I powered up just to see what the damage actually was and found I had 2-motors at full speed, one stuttering and one not moving at all (the broken ESC).

I guess I could replace the ESC however I feel I met my match. I remember Dirty Harry saying "a man has to know his limitations". So on to Plan B - I have a new one coming early next week which is just in time for me leaving on a 4 week photo shoot. Plan C might be selling the controller and charger while Plan D is to sell the older bird for parts.

Despite all this I really enjoy flying and can see how it could be incorporated into our work.

Don

If it were me, I'd send her to a Phantom shop and let them repair.

That's just me.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edunwody said:
If it were me, I'd send her to a Phantom shop and let them repair.

That's just me.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would however i need/want this in Jackson Hole and don't have the time to wait. The good news is that I sold the unit to UVA Direct my new dealer and have a replacement coming early next week. It maight not be the most cost effective way however if I can get usabe footage on this next trip it will more than pay for itself.

Thanks to all

Don

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20