Hi all I'm new to drones and wondering about trusting Litchi

Reaction score
My question is about litchi do people trust it as in if I set waypoints and I loose connection will it be ok ? I'm using a OS device
Thanks

Last edited:
Good question. Litchi claims that even when you lose connection your drone will complete its mission. I plan to do my first Litchi flight this weekend. It's probably a good idea to set your final waypoint close to where you started and have it hover or land.

Trust it. It works.

GS missions are downloaded to the P3 as per DJI SDK and once initiated, the mission will fly according to the waypoint configuration regardless of RC connection... I definitely recommend that you're last waypoint be one close to your take-off point and have it hover there rather than auto-land.

This ensures that as long as you stay where it departed from, you will easily regain control at the end of the mission.

Reactions: FotoGeek
Trust it. It works.

GS missions are downloaded to the P3 as per DJI SDK and once initiated, the mission will fly according to the waypoint configuration regardless of RC connection... I definitely recommend that you're last waypoint be one close to your take-off point and have it hover there rather than auto-land.

This ensures that as long as you stay where it departed from, you will easily regain control at the end of the mission.
Are you sure your P3 would continue to follow mission even if connection is lost with RC cause in such cases I would expect it to RTH.

Are you sure your P3 would continue to follow mission even if connection is lost with RC cause in such cases I would expect it to RTH.

Yes, it will fly the complete mission (tested). Now I read if it's not going to have enough battery it will return. I haven't tested that feature yet, nor do I think I'll ever test it.

Yes, it will fly the complete mission (tested). Now I read if it's not going to have enough battery it will return. I haven't tested that feature yet, nor do I think I'll ever test it.
I will then not use Litchi if it doesn't return to home point even if connection is lost. It defeats the basic safety norm.

I will then not use Litchi if it doesn't return to home point even if connection is lost. It defeats the basic safety norm.

You're missing the point. That's exactly the behavior you want. If you're flying a GS mission outside of the control range, you want it to fly on its own.

I personally have done dozens of GS flights, and have had zero issues. Sometimes I even prefer GS as with banked turns and gimbal waypoint tracking, it can often get a smoother shot then I can as a human pilot.

Flying outside control range definitely has its challenges, and is an "expert only" usage case, but if done correctly, it's quite reliable.

Fwiw, I also have a Flytrex, so I can still monitor it as it's flying outside of range, but that's not necessarily required. These birds are really entirely controlled by the computer anyway, gotta trust them to do their job.

Reactions: FotoGeek
I have Litchi but haven't used it yet with my P3's. I have flown many missions with my Vision+ with similar apps. The purpose of all Ground Station type programs is to allow you to program a flight that the aircraft will fly autonomously, even when beyond controller range. I don't want it to come back when control is lost I want it to complete the mission as programmed. If Litchi offers a function that engages RTH based on low-battery that is acceptable & probably a good idea. I would like the option to be user-selectable in case I am sending the bird out on a long-range one-way mission where I have a recovery partner waiting.

My desire to fly such missions is why I insist on a GPS tracker on my aircraft. Won't be testing my P3's until they are fitted with Flytrex units.

RTH is not a basic safety norm It is an option, even on the DJI Go App. With Litchi you have the option to tell your drone to RTH and land upon competition of a mission. if you are just flying outside of a mission, it does have a RTH function that you can preset (just like DJI)

Reactions: ScatSpeak
I will then not use Litchi if it doesn't return to home point even if connection is lost. It defeats the basic safety norm
Actually, in this case since it's flying a preplanned and downloaded GS mission, I believe that it's actually safer for it to do exactly what you've programmed and all the way to conclusion than to abruptly kick into RTH mode part way through simply because of a temporary RC connection disruption.

I sometimes plan GS missions that fly around interesting POI's that may be higher than 400' AGL so if it were to abruptly abandon the mission due to RTH at the wrong moment, it could create more of a hazard.

This capability from Litchi that promotes SDK features provided by DJI really helps maximize the use of the aircraft for stellar videos or images... which is kinda the purpose of it, right?

Reactions: Shammyh
................. This capability from Litchi that promotes SDK features provided by DJI really helps maximize the use of the aircraft for stellar videos or images... which is kinda the purpose of it, right?
No, according to a few, we should fly it only up to 100ft up and 100ft out, then right back to home point and land. And we should be damned happy we can do it! lol!!

No, according to a few, we should fly it only up to 100ft up and 100ft out, then right back to home point and land. And we should be damned happy we can do it! lol!!

..and only if you can actually see it!

One of the features that I really like about Litchi is that you will not need to get permission from DJI to fly within a No Fly Zone, by getting them to allow you to start up the motors when THEY give you permission. That is one of the new features of new version 1.07.0043, being released soon by DJI. You will have to contact DJI to fly in those area within THEIR No Flight Zones!
Using Litchi will allow me to simply contact the tower at my airport, and actually do demonstrations and flights within the confines of the hangars and taxi ways, while keeping in touch with the tower with my hand held aircraft transceiver.
I never have fully understood why they developed the NFZ "No Startup" to start with. As by law, we can't legally fly in the 5 mile radius around our local airports without tower permission anyway. I guess it is just their way of protecting those who don't want to observe the rules and regulations of the FAA! I guess those of us who are real licensed pilots tend to look at things a bit differently, based on our training and experience.
GR

Reactions: Dan Lawrence

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav