Hey guys, please school me on firmware!

Reaction score
I got my phantom 3 adv not too long ago, I would say it's about 5 or 6 months old, has the newer style motors and main board in it. I havnt really had any issues with it, been flying great, no errors no loss of signal or gimbal/battery issues, nothing... I got the p3a for a steal off a guy brand new in-opend package for 450$! I couldn't say no and jumped onboard the dji train and have been in love with them and this forum ever since ..

I have been reading so much latly about firmware and I have read that if the aircraft is not the same firmware as say the battery or controller, then they may have an error or could even crash. I'm also sick of looking at the "update firmware immediately " messages in red font on my app all the time lol.

So here is my current status and firmware, all exactly as I see it in the app.

App version is 3.1.0

Aircraft version 1.5.30+

Remote controller 1.6.0

Under overall status, on the drop menu where it shows if your compass and IMU and all that is normal or not, it says "your craft requires new firmware" .. Or something along that line.. And once I click on that, it says this..

Remote controller requires upgrade

Camera requires upgrade

Aircraft requires upgrade

Battery requires upgrade

In that exact order for everything I have listed.

Now for the remote control fw it has s little "download " button or something. To install it but when I try to install it, it says it can not be installed, this is prolly cuz I am not connected to Internet when I have tried..

As for all the other fw update requirements there is no "download or upload" button to click on like there is with the controller.. There is just the link to the dji site.. I have briefly read how to do the updates, but this is more or less me asking you guys that for 1. Is my drone safe to fly with the current fw that it and the controller and batt is on? And 2. Should I upgrade the firmware from where it's at now if everything seems to be working just fine, or should I just leave it alone? Or maybe upgrade it because I am possibly missing out on something important that the drone or controller/battery needs?

Iam not new to Rc, or lipos, or electronics, and have owned a few lower model drones in my past.. But dji is totally new to me, I already been learning a ton about them.. But one thing that I know I NEED a lot of brushing up on us things like the firmware upgrades, and how firmware needs to match one another, and when to or when not to update it and stuff like that, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Once again my drone has had no major issues, and really no minor issues either, it flys amazing, works flawlessly, and hasn't failed me yet, but again.. I just wanna make sure it's safe and if I should update fw based on account that I may be missing something critical or important that dji has changed in the newer fw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have no major issues, no need to hurry up and upgrade FWs

In future when you go for updates,

RC upgrade will need internet and will get updated through DJI GO app.

AC requires a bin file for the upgrade, thats available from DJI website. Camera and Batteries will also get update with the same FW. bin file is copied to the root of the micro SD card and used on the gimbal to upgrade these FW. Be careful, read the instructions correctly, download the correct file and unzip it, never rename it etc etc.

Will do thanks for all the info! I was mainly just wanting to make sure that the fw I currently have doesn't throw any red flags to you guys here on the forum as I have heard of certain fw not working well with others.. Or certain updates or versions being bad or glitchy and ppl recommending not to use them at all for obvious reasons..

And because I am so in-familiar with what versions are good or which are bad, I was hoping you guys could look at what versions I was running and tell me if they seem ok/more recent, or if they are outdated, or crap and I should upgrade... If you could shed some light on that too that would be awesome. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im at these levels on my p3a and no problem. Using android by the way
1482034456960.png

g lee

Firmware 1.9.60 needs to be run with ALL your batteries to update battery firmware.

Once again my drone has had no major issues, and really no minor issues either, it flys amazing, works flawlessly, and hasn't failed me yet, but again.. I just wanna make sure it's safe and if I should update fw based on account that I may be missing something critical or important that dji has changed in the newer fw.
I've always installed the latest firmware on all of my Phantoms after the releases are known to be stable. Never had a problem. If you decide to upgrade the firmware, you can find detailed firmware installation instructions here.

Currently I'm on 1.8 with my Phantom 3 Pro (I did upgrade my batteries to 1.9.6 and then downgraded the aircraft to 1.8 after not liking how 1.9.6 handled).
But I'm considering upgrading to 1.10.90.
msinger have you upgraded to 1.10.90? In other words, do you consider this version 1.10.90 to be stable?

I'm still on 1.4...and sticking to dji go app 2.4.3. Reluctant to update as I don't want to get into the geo unlocking thin etc..also at some point in the 1.6 days it seemed they slowed down ascend and descent speeds?
There were also some talk about reduced range in 1.8.x?

So much conflicting info out there. I'm usually always running bleeding edge software on my gadgets but this is one exception.
Now if dji fixes the horizon tilt issue issue, I might give up on everything else just to get that fix.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20