Hero3 Silver+ focus issue or not?

Reaction score
I recently bought the GoPro Silver+. Afterwards I read about the Silver& Black+ focus issue. Just focusing nearby (for selfies etc) instead to infinity. This was later on fixed in the new batch from what I understand.

This is an example of a video I took yesterday (from a park nearby). It was shot in 1080p/60fps with a little post processing tweaking in GoPro Studio.

Does this footage looks ‘about right’ to you or is it lacking a little focus?

(select 1080p)
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyH2AICr-Bg[/youtube]

(posted another topic 'what I am doing wrong' but that is solved now. Was an exporting error with lower quality)

It looks soft to me but I'm on a tablet at the moment. I have heard about the black model having sharp infinity focus but haven't heard that about the silver. I have the white that I found in a pawn shop for $60 and it is sharp at infinity and closer.

Silver also has it.

Just did the Focus issue mod (2mm turning clockwise of the lens).....and it worked. Way sharper.

I have the GoPro Hero 3+ Silver too. The video resolution is 1080p50 but video footage looks quite bad. What do you think, focus issue or not?

Attachments

• focus issue.jpg
    focus issue.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 685
This is video capture I presume? This looks soft yes. Don’t know if it’s because of the focus issue, but can be. It looks (from what I can tell from this one screenshot) that the light is not optimal also.
I get the best results in the ‘golden hours’ (the hours after sunset and before sundown).

But I did the Focus issue mod (really easy to do, and it worked). Images are more crisp now. Here some screenshots of a short video I did this morning (raw unedited).
Keep in mind these are just video screenshots from my laptop (with sniping tool), the actual raw video is quite a bit sharper then these images (will upload to YT these evening).

Attachments

• Capture4.JPG
    Capture4.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 608
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 573
Here is a sunnier picture. If I compare my video with other videos on YouTube or Vimeo, they are much sharper than my videos. The more I watch sharp videos, the more disappointed I am with my Silver's video quality :(

Attachments

• focus issue 2.jpg
    focus issue 2.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 595
Still soft in my eyes (but difficult to judge with only printscreens from video I have to say). But mine looks sharper I think. As I said, the actual video is as sharp as I can expect. More or less in line with the sharper video’s I see on Youtube.

You can try and contact GoPro about this (just maybe they will replace your Gopro and get one without the issue). Or you can try the modification.

That image has been taken with Media Player Classic Home Cinema's "Save image" -tool and there aren't any differences if I compare that picture and the video.

well ****. I might have the same issue on the silver+ as well. It's tough to tell because I thought it had to do with the gopros sucking at "fine detail". Trees and grass count as such I thought.

But when I would fly near water or buildings, it looks good

edit:

doing some research, I'm reading that any new units have had this corrected. I dont have batch numbers though. But before I mess with my gopro, I'm going to research more

A bit on the soft side, looks like what I had before the mod. I will upload my video I shot today and post it here (will be this evening)

Nuuka said:
Watch this video: http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21709. You can see that the video is very sharp. I don't know if that GoPro is Silver or Black. Maybe the Black version has better video quality.

Very nice!

It was shot in the golden hours (before sundown), that really helps making it look less flat. I guess some tweaking with post processing too. My quess is this is the black. Because yes, the black is better then the silver with or without the mod. But the silver should give good results also. There are video's on YT where the compare silver and black side by side. A little difference but not mega.

dragonash said:
do you guys think I need it?
Im using the Hero 3+ Silver

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm4sJVNrXfs[/youtube]

Looking at your video now on a better screen (27 inch Imac, before on my work laptop). It doesn't look that bad at all. Not razor sharp but still OK. Might have the focus issue, not sure. Great location! Saw Manhanttan in the background :)

PhantomHost said:
Looking at your video now on a better screen (27 inch Imac, before on my work laptop). It doesn't look that bad at all. Not razor sharp but still OK. Might have the focus issue, not sure. Great location! Saw Manhanttan in the background :)

In that case, I might leave well enough alone

Here is what I shot this morning. Sharp enough for me now.

(select 1080p off course)
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugSYkBYvwHk[/youtube]

dragonash said:
PhantomHost said:

But what's up with the heavy movement? No Gimbal?

Now uploaded with higher bitrate, looks sharper in my media player (50 vs 15). But not sure if there is any difference in YT (max bitrate is 8 or 10?)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kXAEqxkL-I[/youtube]

PhantomHost said:
dragonash said:
PhantomHost said:

But what's up with the heavy movement? No Gimbal?

2D gimbal in heavy winds and GPS on.

Unless you are going with the wind, its gonna look nasty.
Listen with the sound on and check out how the wind is hitting it (and thats only when its hovering!)

did my adjustment

I was trying to go by the car since the sun was at a different spot, but I think you can tell better by looking at the dividing line in the street

Attachments

• GOPR0699.jpg
    GOPR0699.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 430
  • GOPR0714.jpg
    GOPR0714.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 433

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads