Hero 3 black video quality choppy

Reaction score
I know this is better suited for the gopro forums but I dont want to sign up for another forum to waste time on when maybe someone has insight here.

Anyways bought a hero 3 black during the best buy black friday deal for 249. Hooked it up out of the box to my phantom and at 1080/60fps shot some beautiful footage. A few days later I did the firmware update and the footage is now choppy. I even bought an ultra speed class 10+ micro sd to make that wasnt causing the problem. The only thing different in the course of a few days is the update. Any thoughts?

I had that happen after the upgrade, a "shuddering" effect that would come and go every few seconds. I got around it by putting the anti-vibration mount back on, but I believe it can be address by tweaking the gains a bit.

I just set up the ability to adjust gains via the transmitter, next time I can fly I'll take the mount back off and see if I can remove the shuddering with those adjustments.

MILLER4PRESIDENT2020 said:
I know this is better suited for the gopro forums but I dont want to sign up for another forum to waste time on when maybe someone has insight here.

Anyways bought a hero 3 black during the best buy black friday deal for 249. Hooked it up out of the box to my phantom and at 1080/60fps shot some beautiful footage. A few days later I did the firmware update and the footage is now choppy. I even bought an ultra speed class 10+ micro sd to make that wasnt causing the problem. The only thing different in the course of a few days is the update. Any thoughts?

What card? The new Firmware cuts the bitrate for non GP approved cards.

OI Photography said:
I had that happen after the upgrade, a "shuddering" effect that would come and go every few seconds. I got around it by putting the anti-vibration mount back on, but I believe it can be address by tweaking the gains a bit.

I just set up the ability to adjust gains via the transmitter, next time I can fly I'll take the mount back off and see if I can remove the shuddering with those adjustments.

ok, now it gets weirder. I was making a video in adobe premiere to show you guys and when I export the final product....the shuddering effect (exactly what you describe), is gone.
It is only when I am watching the videos in VLC media player that you notice it? Its like my own hardware isnt strong enough to run 60fps? but why did VLC player run one video fine and the next one is laggy?

peter nap said:

at first, i stole the old micro sd out of my phone because it was the quickest thing I could grab and I had a new one on order. I was using a 64gb sandisk ultra micro sdxc1...and the video was fine.

then my order arrived, a 32gb sandisk extreme plus HC1. That is the beefed up one capable of handling 60 or 80 mb/sI think. I went out flying, downloaded the video and noticed the choppiness. So I immediately did a side by side of both the old slower 64gb and the newer "extreme" 32gb and the choppiness appeared on both. The only thing that had changed in the meantime was the firware update on the GoPro

one more update, opened the same core file in Windows media player and everything is fine. It is because of VLC media player. But it still is weird that VLC ran one video fine and another is shuddering despite the same settings.

I found once when I had done two flights, the video for the second looked like it was a different frame rate?? They both had the exact same recording settings etc, and output . . . But for lack of a better term the second video was "choppy".

I don't know to this day what exactly the cause was, but I suspect the lighting etc may have forced the shutter into a different speed on the second video, but I honestly don't know if that could/should have an effect on the final output :/

peter nap said:

at first, i stole the old micro sd out of my phone because it was the quickest thing I could grab and I had a new one on order. I was using a 64gb sandisk ultra micro sdxc1...and the video was fine.

then my order arrived, a 32gb sandisk extreme plus HC1. That is the beefed up one capable of handling 60 or 80 mb/sI think. I went out flying, downloaded the video and noticed the choppiness. So I immediately did a side by side of both the old slower 64gb and the newer "extreme" 32gb and the choppiness appeared on both. The only thing that had changed in the meantime was the firware update on the GoPro

I don't know if the card has anything to do with your problem but it may because the camera firmware actually slows down the camera if the make and model of the card doesn't fit a list in the new firmware. It reads the card and compares it to the list.

Sandisk is on GP's sh%t list now and is NOT approved for any of their cards.

peter nap said:
Sandisk is on GP's sh%t list now and is NOT approved for any of their cards.

really? according to this they are fine?
http://gopro.com/support/articles/software-update-release

You're right. It's the Sandisk Ultra they got rid of.

I switched to Delkin on all my GP cameras when the problems with Sandisk started showing up.
I'm still using the 95mb SD's in my GH2's & 3 though.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic