Hermosa Beach, CA - Drone Restrictions

Looks like this thread has been inactive for a while - but I might have some useful info as it pertains to Hermosa Beach:

The city does indeed require a permit, but in my experience it was pretty painless to get (other than the cost). I am not sure how useful this permit is however - as I was told by a Lifeguard today on Hermosa Beach (after showing him my permit) that drones are prohibited on all LA County operated beaches and Hermosa Beach City does not have the authority to issue these permits in the first place. (This is the first time I've ever had an issue after several flights - in fact one lifeguard told me it was no issue prior to this occurrence).

For questions regarding size - the permit looks like a US postage stamp and has a unique number. It's not large at all.

I wrote an email to the LA County Lifeguard asking them to point me in the direction of this ordinance that prohibits flights on county beaches. I'll let you all know if I ever hear back.

It seems that we are running out of places to fly in LA.

Perhaps this is what he was referring to:

LA County Municipal Code:

17.12.425 - Model operation prohibited.
No person shall operate any model airplane, boat, helicopter, or similar craft in, on, or over any beach or the Pacific Ocean except in an area that may be established and/or designated for such use by the Director, and subject to all rules and regulations pertaining to such area.

What exactly is this permit for? If you launch on private property without this permit, can you get in trouble? Because the FAA specifically states local governments may NOT require additional registration.

What exactly is this permit for? If you launch on private property without this permit, can you get in trouble? Because the FAA specifically states local governments may NOT require additional registration.

Apparently you can be fined by the city. I feel as if the permit might be useless... as a recreational flyer - the only area in Hermosa outside of a 5-mile radius of an airport is the beach (and perhaps a few blocks of the strand). As a part 107 flyer you have a bit more room under the Class B floor of 5,000 ft for LAX and the surrounding Class D airspace for the regional airports.

I've emailed the city and the county to try to get to the bottom of all of this.

Apparently you can be fined by the city. I feel as if the permit might be useless... as a recreational flyer - the only area in Hermosa outside of a 5-mile radius of an airport is the beach (and perhaps a few blocks of the strand). As a part 107 flyer you have a bit more room under the Class B floor of 5,000 ft for LAX and the surrounding Class D airspace for the regional airports.

I've emailed the city and the county to try to get to the bottom of all of this.

You should make citation to the FAA rule about registration. If you fly unregistered with the city and you're fined sounds like a good court fight to me. The FAA is very clear about no extra registration. But since when has government rule stopped anyone.

And now we have life guards telling us we can't fly........ lol

@shurgot, did you find an indication that there is any section of beach/ocean 'designated for such use' when you were looking at the LA municipal code?

@shurgot, did you find an indication that there is any section of beach/ocean 'designated for such use' when you were looking at the LA municipal code?

Yes! The captain returned my call an indicated that the HB permit entitles you to fly on the beach - just be weary of people around you.

I’m going to make a trip to Hermosa City Hall tomorrow and obtain that permit.
I was told by a professional drone photographer teaching a class that the restrictions for flying at local SoCal beaches applies if you’re launching off public property but doesn’t apply if you are launching from a private residence. I will be verifying with different municipalities.

9bba2a5cc6441a105b0d1be1d333ed8e.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik