Here's an idea..

Reaction score
I was thinking about how the Mavic will be able to connect to your ios/android device via wifi and I wondered wouldn't it be cool if you could use cell data to be your wifi connection.

In other words, the bird would likely have to have a sim card and connect and your device would also. But, your range would be unlimited!

Edit: (Sorry if this is not a new idea. I just thought of it and wanted to share.)

Yea, it's not a new idea but a common one.

Are you in the U.S.?
If not then the following may not apply to you...

Laws are being forced to be updated as this technology grows in use and sophistication.

This gov't. document seems to suggest it's illegal, but that's just IMO at this time.

Judge for yourself:
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2006-title47-vol2/pdf/CFR-2006-title47-vol2-sec22-935.pdf

There are numerous technical challenges due to the nature of cellular operations not to mention the FAA VLOS requirement that makes the need (benefit???) for this moot.

Interesting. Seems like the key sentence in that act is; "When any aircraft leaves the ground, all cellular telephones on board that aircraft must be turned off." But, if you had a built in data connection utilizing cellular data, is that a "cellular telephone?" I think the intent is to address phones that are "carried aboard or installed", it is a legal debate for sure but just utilizing cell data doesn't make a drone a phone. Otherwise, every cell data enabled Kindle is a phone.

Unlimited? You'd still only be able to fly as long as the battery lasted. People can get that distance now with the huge expense of connecting to a data tower. But there may be many times people fly and don't have access to a good data signal. Personally, I think a 4 miles signal range is just fine. With a 20 minute batter, that is 10 minutes out and 10 minutes back at best.

Reactions: Doink
Yea. Good points.

Ok, "Unlimited" was not meant literally. Of course, it would depend on the quality of the local cell signal and if there even was one at all. I know that I lose video on my P3A a heck of a lot sooner than 4 miles.

What I was envisioning was being able to use my already cell data enabled iphone and a cell enabled drone. It is an extra expense but many people have extra cell data plans of things like ipads. You both connect to a hub an voila! you are connected and will have a solid connection (as long as you are in a good cell area) for as far as you wish to fly.

Lots of info on the web as to how it's been done.

And just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting some homebrew technique. I was meaning to suggest that this is something that a drone manufacturer like DJI could incorporate into a drone and would work out the details with the FAA and the FCC.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.