Here we go again.. 2nd P3 Standard CRACKED 4 after gentle flights - 2 weeks old / OPINIONS PLEASE

I understand. I doubt that will cause interference. Large metal items or wifi might. But that is so small.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

If anyone else has checked for theirs for hairline cracks (which you should be doing before and after each flight) - please comment and let others know.

I have flown mine twice since the 2 hairline cracks, and so far they have not got any worse.

Tip: I added some 2 small cuts of tape stuck to the side of the cracks to act as a measure kind-of-thing to see if the cracks get bigger, I'll know because the cracks will be ahead of the tape.

Understand?

If anyone else has checked for theirs for hairline cracks (which you should be doing before and after each flight) - please comment and let others know.

I have flown mine twice since the 2 hairline cracks, and so far they have not got any worse.

Tip: I added some 2 small cuts of tape stuck to the side of the cracks to act as a measure kind-of-thing to see if the cracks get bigger, I'll know because the cracks will be ahead of the tape.

Understand?
No

Here we go again guys.. I'm really p*ssed that this is happening yet again -
By chance have you used the same props on all 3 of the birds you've had? If the props aren't balanced good that can cause excessive vibration and may result in the cracking around the motor screws. I would check the balance of the props with a balancer. Another way to tell is hover your bird about a foot over your head and look for any vibration of the landing gear. Of course be very careful and do it on a calm day careful not to give yourself a haircut lol. Just a thought. So far I've been lucky, running dji carbon reinforced props that have been checked for proper balance on my p3 pro, have about 60 flights under my belt and have logged over 400,000 ft of travel without any issues. It's windy in my area and while I am careful my bird has been flown pretty hard.

This is my 3rd phantom 3 standard actually, the very first one cracked under one of the motor arms screws (hairline crack appeared after my FIRST gentle flight). I returned it and got a refund then purchased one from another well known dealer.

Second one I purchased from the new dealer arrived USED and very dusty, plastic seals were missing from the props - anyway they replaced it with a new one up on return. The second one all seemed fine, everything looked and operated as it should.

(All in all this is my 3rd p3 standard), I have only had this new one 2 weeks, the weather is still bad here in the UK, so I have only had the chance to fly it 4 times.. battery has not been below 40% and has only been charged 3 times (as seen in the app).

Funnily enough after my past experience, I was worried that the cracks could appear again, so I have been checking for hairline cracks very often.

Tonight, I decided to check the arms and screws for any cracks as I was gonna take it for another flight on Friday, and guess what... here we go again, 2 hairline cracks under one of the motor screws.

I don't know whether to ignore it and see if they get worse or contact my dealer RC GEEKS and see what they say? normally their customer service is great. But I don't know what to do..

I can't put my self through all this again lol .. (I'm sure some of you may understand)

Thoughts please? what do you think I should do?

Should I just give it up as a bad job and move on?

Thanks guys, and sorry for the long post.

Sorry for some reason my post didn't go through....check your props for proper balance.

Have you used the same props on all 3 birds? Carefully on a calm day take your bird off about a foot or two over your head, while avoiding a possible haircut look at the landing gear for vibration. This is a sign of improperly balanced props or motor alignment issues.

Just realized my original response posted but in the middle of the captioned txt, oops

Have you used the same props on all 3 birds? Carefully on a calm day take your bird off about a foot or two over your head, while avoiding a possible haircut look at the landing gear for vibration. This is a sign of improperly balanced props or motor alignment issues.

I did check my props before first flight using the Du-Bro truspin balancer and the correct balance bar to screw onto the DJI props.

I did add some tape to the tip of one prop as it seemed a little out at least on this balancer...

But the rest of the props were fine and not really out of balance neither was the hubs.

Unless this balancer isn't as good as I first thought..

I will give them another check when I get the chance but I know I'm not out of balance much - if at all...

It's unfortunate but it almost seems like it's just the luck of the draw as to whether you get cracking or not. I am sorry for your luck, hopefully these problems are remedied at some point with the manufacturer.

Maybe as another member suggested install the mounts for the snap on blade guards for added support. Granted you shouldn't have to, but it might help. Good luck.

Decided to replace the shell... Progress so far (taking off the old shell)
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1456861032.735670.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1456861051.952812.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1456861069.430873.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1456861089.916349.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1456861110.951432.jpg

More follows...

Mine has cracked as well, and I ordered the arm reinforcement mounts from UAV Bits. I'll post more about them once i've received and installed them.

Somebody mentioned putting snap on guards on it. That's what I'd do. They reinforce that part of the arm, where the screws go in. I put em on mine out of the box 5 months ago. Don't know if I've got any stress cracks, but I cant see how a two hairline cracks like yours would ever effect the drone with gaurds on it.

I've heard the same thing and even ordered a set from Amazon for my P3S although I admit I haven't installed them yet. I bought the black and orange quick release guards figuring they would be helpful in orientation of the drone because of the colors as well as providing some help in minimizing stress cracks from the screws

Decided to replace the shell... Progress so far (taking off the old shell) View attachment 45593 View attachment 45594View attachment 45596View attachment 45597 View attachment 45598

More follows...
I'd say over tightening is only half the problem, the other half being improper tightening sequence. MAKE SURE you use a criss-cross pattern when tightening a little each time. You'll also need new loc-tight and by doing so you don't need much torque. Good luck w/ your rebuild

I have not been on the forum for a while.

I know this thread is old, but It would be nice to see some new updates or new post on this cracking problem.. How many of you new members if any,have experienced this? etc..

Since I replaced my shell last year, I have only flew my p3s about 5 times, no cracks since.

But.. even to this day, I have been left feeling discouraged in case it happens again. I even bought another spare shell back then (which is still in the box) - just in case.. lol

Again, sorry to bring up an old thread, but for it to be forgotten about does not solve anything for anyone who's experiencing this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic