Here we go again.. 2nd P3 Standard CRACKED 4 after gentle flights - 2 weeks old / OPINIONS PLEASE

Reaction score
Here we go again guys.. I'm really p*ssed that this is happening yet again -

This is my 3rd phantom 3 standard actually, the very first one cracked under one of the motor arms screws (hairline crack appeared after my FIRST gentle flight). I returned it and got a refund then purchased one from another well known dealer.

Second one I purchased from the new dealer arrived USED and very dusty, plastic seals were missing from the props - anyway they replaced it with a new one up on return. The second one all seemed fine, everything looked and operated as it should.

(All in all this is my 3rd p3 standard), I have only had this new one 2 weeks, the weather is still bad here in the UK, so I have only had the chance to fly it 4 times.. battery has not been below 40% and has only been charged 3 times (as seen in the app).

Funnily enough after my past experience, I was worried that the cracks could appear again, so I have been checking for hairline cracks very often.

Tonight, I decided to check the arms and screws for any cracks as I was gonna take it for another flight on Friday, and guess what... here we go again, 2 hairline cracks under one of the motor screws.

I don't know whether to ignore it and see if they get worse or contact my dealer RC GEEKS and see what they say? normally their customer service is great. But I don't know what to do..

I can't put my self through all this again lol .. (I'm sure some of you may understand)

Thoughts please? what do you think I should do?

Should I just give it up as a bad job and move on?

Thanks guys, and sorry for the long post.

Will post tomorrow, just about to go to bed it's (4am).

I'll grab the camera and take pics tomorrow.

Thanks for your reply.

Anyone else please comment.
Cool..just made me go check mine again . 178 flight's and good so far .
Knock on wood .

Reactions: jointeffort
Will post tomorrow, just about to go to bed it's (4am)
Good gravy! Staying up past 11 is a struggle for me.

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app

I know it should not keep happening to this or any other P drone, and it would p**s me off badly as well but ...

It's just a stress crack due to the internal stress in plastic caused but not well controlled molding injection process. It's not likely to fall apart during normal flights ... pictures please to confirm the severity of the defect.

At this point I would probably get over it and find the best snap on guards with the click on base that installs on all 4 motor screws or, even better, on 4+2 screws ... and fly away. This is what I did to my new P3A after reading the "crack" stories, and before I saw any cracks on my drone.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Here is a few pictures taken as best I could with my iPad 4.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1454615472.850190.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1454615501.019254.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1454615448.481961.jpg

Thoughts please?

Will these get worse?

Is it me or is the picture 2 look like the screws are not looking straight

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I will TRY to take some better pictures now with my camera. The cracks are hairline so it's hard to get the camera lighting and focus correct.

Anymore replies? please comment

Maybe it's on this thread not sure but I thought I read somewhere about braking %, someone mentioned that from factory it's set at 100%, not sure if it's pertinent to your situation but worth a look I guess

Maybe it's on this thread not sure but I thought I read somewhere about braking %, someone mentioned that from factory it's set at 100%, not sure if it's pertinent to your situation but worth a look I guess

It's a bit late now lol... but I already took those steps before my first flight.

I turned the breaks down to 70% (the lowest possible in the latest DJI GO App)

I've not even used full pitch or full throttle yet, I've flown it gently with no hard landings and STILL this keeps happening... I'm really surprised no one else is having this luck with theirs.

Looks to me like one of the motor mount screws was torqued a little to much at the factory. Honestly? If that were mine and I was on my third one, I would just fly it.

Looks to me like one of the motor mount screws was torqued a little to much at the factory. Honestly? If that were mine and I was on my third one, I would just fly it.

I see what you mean, but this happening with the pro and advanced too... it has to be a design flaw with the shells.

I asked the dealer to send me a new replacement shell, they agreed to, so I'll run the cracked one for a while and see how it goes. If the cracks get any worse I will have no choice but to replace it with the new shell.

Thanks a lot for your comment.

- Keep them coming guys, it really is appreciated!!

I agree with cowpen, looks like over tightening to me.

All this has been spoke on before... not only the standard but the advanced and pro suffer the same. There's many posts about cracks on this forum.

Motor thrust and weight of the quad is causing the thin plastic to break or weaken... it's only a matter of time before it happens to others IMO..

I suggest anyone reading this to check your phantom 3 shell CAREFULLY with a flashlight or LED torch, have a good luck over (which you should ALWAYS do before flying, pre-flight checks etc etc... You'll be surprised what you'll see -

Please post back on this thread if you notice any hairline cracks with yours, they are quite hard to see in the wrong lighting. Not only does it remind others but it makes them aware of cracks in the future.

It's all fun and games until something goes wrong in flight/ crashes in the middle of a field or tree somewhere. or WORSE.

Anyway RC Geeks here in the UK is such a great company, they have sent out my replacement shell at no cost.

I can't say enough about this company.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeganx
Somebody mentioned putting snap on guards on it. That's what I'd do. They reinforce that part of the arm, where the screws go in. I put em on mine out of the box 5 months ago. Don't know if I've got any stress cracks, but I cant see how a two hairline cracks like yours would ever effect the drone with gaurds on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20