Here vs Google Earth Maps and cacheing ...

Reaction score
Well - I read all the moans and groans about the change of maps and yes my Here maps are older than the GE ones I had before .......... BUT they are working fine on my P3S.

Luckily I don't have cloud cover / bad imaging / lack of detail like some show.

But one thing that has bugged me - Why is there not a proper FULL explanation of cacheing the maps in a manual ... even YouTube vids lack parts of the procedure ... DJIKen did a good one ... BUT video starts with Map already displayed !! Not how he got to it ...

So here is how I did it ... no doubt there is a better way.

Switch them all on and get Go App to load to Camera screen. (That's one of the most important bits people forget to mention ... you need ALL 3 UNITS on to get Go to get past opening screen !) My mistake ... CHANGE bl***y WiFi !!
I then selected the MAP screen instead of camera feed.
Android has no Cache maps button in menu - its always ON ...
Changed to Home WiFi and the map screen started to come alive with detail.
I scrolled around area zooming in / out .... made sure I covered more than enough area ... then zoomed out ... scrolled to next flying area I use ... zoomed in ... scrolled around ..... zoomed out and moved to NEXT flying area I use ... scrolled / zoomed ... and then went back to Phantom WiFi ... all the areas I had scrolled round were there ... in both Map, Hybrid and Sat format ...

Excellent.

Now to find out if Here maps (used to be Navteq) are installable from the paid detailed files ....

Nigel

Last edited:
Well - I read all the moans and groans about the change of maps and yes my Here maps are older than the GE ones I had before .......... BUT they are working fine on my P3S.

But one thing that has bugged me - Why is there not a proper FULL explanation of cacheing the maps in a manual ... even YouTube vids lack parts of the procedure ... DJIKen did a good one ... BUT video starts with Map already displayed !! Not how he got to it ...

Switch them all on and get Go App to load to Camera screen. (That's one of the most important bits people forget to mention ... you need ALL 3 UNITS on to get Go to get past opening screen !)
I scrolled around area zooming in / out .... made sure I covered more than enough area ... then zoomed out ... scrolled to next flying area I use ... zoomed in ... scrolled around ..... zoomed out and moved to NEXT flying area I use ... scrolled / zoomed ... and then went back to Phantom WiFi ... all the areas I had scrolled round were there ... in both Map, Hybrid and Sat format ...

Excellent.

Now to find out if Here maps (used to be Navteq) are installable from the paid detailed files ....

Nigel
works great , thanks , you can also just turn on the RC and connect then switch to home Wi-Fi then turn off RC ( save battery ) and cache maps until your phone battery dies !!

What i keep forgetting is the change of wifi !!

Nigel

Switch them all on and get Go App to load to Camera screen. (That's one of the most important bits people forget to mention ... you need ALL 3 UNITS on to get Go to get past opening screen !)

Excellent.

Nigel
Not understanding why you would need to have the drone or RC powered up to cache maps. I never do, and the maps get cached into my device's memory. The Go app goes to the map screen just fine on Android at least, with just my device powered on.

Not understanding why you would need to have the drone or RC powered up to cache maps. I never do, and the maps get cached into my device's memory. The Go app goes to the map screen just fine on Android at least, with just my device powered on.
are you on FW 1.7.9 and GO APP 3.1.1 with HERE maps ? can't use google maps anymore which worked straight off of the GOOGLE MAP APP

What i keep forgetting is the change of wifi !!

Nigel

When I tried I forgot to change ... and it appeared that device would not open Go .... I then put all on ... then changed and of course all worked ...

I didn't go back to change ...

are you on FW 1.7.9 and GO APP 3.1.1 with HERE maps ? can't use google maps anymore which worked straight off of the GOOGLE MAP APP
Currently on 1.7.9 and was using 3.1.1, but now downgraded the app to 3.0.1 to get the Google maps back. But the FW has nothing to do with the maps on your device. Also I've used many different Go app versions, and they all worked the very same way when downloading the maps to the device. I've never powered up my drone or the RC and the maps have always cached to the Go app and have worked just fine.

Currently on 1.7.9 and was using 3.1.1, but now downgraded the app to 3.0.1 to get the Google maps back. But the FW has nothing to do with the maps on your device. Also I've used many different Go app versions, and they all worked the very same way when downloading the maps to the device. I've never powered up my drone or the RC and the maps have always cached to the Go app and have worked just fine.
HERE maps will not cache with my android phone , installed the HERE APP , downloaded map for offline use , will not display in GO APP , tried this method this morning --- RC on , GO APP on , switch Wi-Fi to house , maps load with detail , works don't know why but it does . will not cache any other way , been trying everything for a week .

I am on android with s7 edge and newest dji go. To cache maps I don't need to connect my controller or drone I just open up go, select phantom 3, press greyed out camera button in go and then go into map screen and cache away, simple

HERE maps will not cache with my android phone , installed the HERE APP , downloaded map for offline use , will not display in GO APP , tried this method this morning --- RC on , GO APP on , switch Wi-Fi to house , maps load with detail , works don't know why but it does . will not cache any other way , been trying everything for a week .
I'm a bit lost here. Never heard of a Here app? Next on the RC thing, makes no sense to me as the RC has no RAM to store anything, let alone a map. If on your device and connected to home wifi (with RC off) then load the Go app, you can't download (view) map detail on the map screen within the Go app??

ju
I am on android with s7 edge and newest dji go. To cache maps I don't need to connect my controller or drone I just open up go, select phantom 3, press greyed out camera button in go and then go into map screen and cache away, simple
just tried that , works , why isn't this explained better , is that how you always cached maps , I thought the old version of GO APP used saved offline maps from GOOGLE MAP APP ?

Reactions: Ty Williams (Wales)
ju

just tried that , works , why isn't this explained better , is that how you always cached maps , I thought the old version of GO APP used saved offline maps from GOOGLE MAP APP ?

I haven't had my phantom that long but used the old google maps version before and same method to cache so pretty straight forward.

I haven't had my phantom that long but used the old google maps version before and same method to cache so pretty straight forward.
i'm new to this too , I followed instructions to save maps offline through google maps and it worked , had detailed maps , then updated to 3.1.1 and couldn't get anything to work , no one said to go through the GO APP .

ju

I think in some older version of GO that might have been true, but that was a few versions ago. Maybe close to a year ago I think. Also you can side-load an app on Android to a earlier version if it really bugs you.

I think in some older version of GO that might have been true, but that was a few versions ago. Maybe close to a year ago I think. Also you can side-load an app on Android to a earlier version if it really bugs you.
Well it worked that way for me , downloaded GO APP on dec. 5th , previous version to 3.1.1 , everything is working good for me on 1.7.9 and 3.1.1 other than figuring out the map caching , don't know why so many people are having problems , maybe it's because mine is a newer build , battery date is sept . 21 , 2016 .

The djigo app never worked off the google map app you always had to cache the maps in the DJI app or at least I always did. I even downloaded the offline versions of google maps and still had to cache the maps in DJI

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

The djigo app never worked off the google map app you always had to cache the maps in the DJI app or at least I always did. I even downloaded the offline versions of google maps and still had to cache the maps in DJI

I don't know what to say , it worked that way for me ? now i'm caching the here maps through dji go .

I don't know what to say , it worked that way for me ? now i'm caching the here maps through dji go .

I downgraded my DJI app not only because of the here maps but I had other minor problems also like the drone figure in the map not pointing the right direction made it hard to fly back using the map lol

I downgraded my DJI app not only because of the here maps but I had other minor problems also like the drone figure in the map not pointing the right direction made it hard to fly back using the map lol

I think the heading issues is with the poor compasses on android devices , there's rumors dji is going to come up with a solution which means another update which means ..........

I think the heading issues is with the poor compasses on android devices , there's rumors dji is going to come up with a solution which means another update which means ..........

After downgrading I haven't had any issues

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie