Hengistbury Head

Reaction score
It was a long wait for the sun to come out but it finally made an appearance. Hengistbury Head is a wonderful sand bar which almost encloses Christchurch Harbour. Its a great place to spend a day on the beach.

https://vimeo.com/91027015

Every video you do has been excellent! And this is no exception.

Thanks for the continued inspiration!

Well Mr.Shrimp... you have a new fan. Very nice production. I'm starting to realize that either dusk or dawn are the only windows for useable video. I would like to learn how you faded the color grading in gradually at 33 seconds into the video.

tgrizzle73 said:
I'm starting to realize that either dusk or dawn are the only windows for useable video. I would like to learn how you faded the color grading in gradually at 33 seconds into the video.

Hi

I have only recently learnt about using the colour controls within Final Cut Pro X, all thanks to a tutorial forum member Fairgame. His tutorial is in this thread http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic. ... 2&start=40

Once you get into understanding and using the colour controls you will find that most times of the day you can get good footage. As for the effect at 33 seconds this was done in Final Cut Pro X.

Select the clip
Apply the hue/saturation effect.
Set a keyframe at the start and in the effect menu reduce the saturation to zero.
Move along to where the singer mentions colour and set another keyframe. Set the saturation level as high as you want.
Move along a bit a set the final keyframe. Return the saturation value to normal.

So it starts of black and white and blooms to over saturated then quickly returns to normal to coincide with the lyric. There was one other effect I applied but for the life of me I can't remember it. I am not near my project files at the moment so I can't check it either.

Excellent video. I envy your courage in flying thru waters. I still don't have any confidence yet w/ my P2 to document near any body of water. I like your video especially watching the reaction of the people passing by. The phantom is definitely a head turner. Cheers!

BTW, are you upgrading to the H3-3d when it is available?

kyle925 said:
I still don't have any confidence yet w/ my P2 to document near any body of water. I like your video especially watching the reaction of the people passing by. The phantom is definitely a head turner. Cheers!

BTW, are you upgrading to the H3-3d when it is available?

Yes but I am not going to be an early adopter. I want to see user reports that show it is reliable and that its better than the 2 axis gimbal. Already I have heard others comment its not perfect. Time will tell.

As for flying over water the only difference to flying over land is that you might not get it back following a crash. I am careful with my preflight checks and so once it lifts off I give up worrying about it coming back. I focus on what I can control and do my best to fly smoothly.

Give it a go. Don't put it off too long as you will just build up a fear of the unknown and maybe never do it. I saw it time and time again when I used to fly helicopters. So many people could not bring themselves to fly. They were locked into just hovering. I experienced the same paralysis myself. Luckily I had a good tutor who recognised it and forced me to do it. I have never looked back.

I appreciate your opinion. I feel I have some good piloting skills, very confident as an operator. It is just that I always read on the reports of some where they have a good piloting background and they flew many hours w/ their phantom, and that on this one particular day, their phantom suddenly decided to be unresponsive and did an RTC. As of now, I still really don't know to believe whether or not there is something wrong w/ the phantom? Or is it user error driven these "flyaway" incidents. There will come a day soon when I will fully rely on my P2 and let her go near waters. How about you Shrimpfarmer? What is your opinion on flyaways? User error or product problem?

Its so difficult to comment on flyaways. I think the fear of them is vastly out of proportion to the reality. I think a big culprit could be people unnecessarily re-calibrating their compass whenever they fly. I also suspect that people often have unreasonable expectations over how stable the Phantom should be in the hover. The slightest drift and again people re-calibrate. I consider re-calibrating a high risk operation. You have to be so careful you don't stand over/near metal etc etc.

What I am sure of though is that many of these flyaways could be stopped by flicking the bird into ATTI mode. Its something that needs practice though. Don't leave it till it happens as panic is likely to stop you remembering what to do. Of course many flyers are worried about switching on Naza mode. That I think is crazy as not doing so denies you the ability to switch into ATTI mode or use the very useful HOMELOCK feature.

I don't worry about flyaways at all when I fly. I practice emergency procedures regularly so I am pretty sure I won't panick should it fail to respond. I am as careful as can be though where I fly it. Not in regard to cell towers etc but I try my best to avoid people and property. If a motor failed all bets are off and ATTI and HOMELOCK will do nothing. :lol:

I like your take on that. I do believe too that "Atti" is the way to go when it comes to flyways and not to turn off the transmitter and rely on RTH. Well said!

Shrimpfarmer said:
tgrizzle73 said:
I'm starting to realize that either dusk or dawn are the only windows for useable video. I would like to learn how you faded the color grading in gradually at 33 seconds into the video.

Hi

I have only recently learnt about using the colour controls within Final Cut Pro X, all thanks to a tutorial forum member Fairgame. His tutorial is in this thread http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic. ... 2&start=40

Once you get into understanding and using the colour controls you will find that most times of the day you can get good footage. As for the effect at 33 seconds this was done in Final Cut Pro X.

Select the clip
Apply the hue/saturation effect.
Set a keyframe at the start and in the effect menu reduce the saturation to zero.
Move along to where the singer mentions colour and set another keyframe. Set the saturation level as high as you want.
Move along a bit a set the final keyframe. Return the saturation value to normal.

So it starts of black and white and blooms to over saturated then quickly returns to normal to coincide with the lyric. There was one other effect I applied but for the life of me I can't remember it. I am not near my project files at the moment so I can't check it either.

Hey thanks for sharing this information, Shrimpfarmer. I really appreciate it and will definitely use it to the betterment of my video production hobby.

I enjoyed your video.....but I REALLY enjoyed the music. I watch the video several times just to hear the song! That said, what I noticed is the aerial platform gave you a perspective of the location you couldn't get any other way. It seemed like you were specifically avoiding any ground level shot except for very few. Your video is so different from what you experienced that day as a sightseer. Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

RedRyderMedia said:
I enjoyed your video.....but I REALLY enjoyed the music. I watch the video several times just to hear the song! That said, what I noticed is the aerial platform gave you a perspective of the location you couldn't get any other way. It seemed like you were specifically avoiding any ground level shot except for very few. Your video is so different from what you experienced that day as a sightseer. Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. I normally do include more ground level stuff but it was a bit of a trek to get their and I could not face lugging my camera and tripod as well as the quad :) Normally I would.

Shrimpfarmer said:
RedRyderMedia said:

Thanks. I normally do include more ground level stuff but it was a bit of a trek to get their and I could not face lugging my camera and tripod as well as the quad :) Normally I would.
Well done... I look for more!

Hi Shrimpy!

Sorry did not get chance to answer your PM, I have been away for a short trip.

I can see a huge difference (improvement) in your workflow of Protune. Glad you found my little video on the subject of help.
Alas, it is some time since I managed to get into the air myself. Many frustrations with the two gimbals I have. Serves me right for buying from Helipal!!

I just don't have the time to tweek them. Thinks it's the time to splash out on a new P2.

Fair Game said:
Hi Shrimpy!

Sorry did not get chance to answer your PM, I have been away for a short trip.

I can see a huge difference (improvement) in your workflow of Protune. Glad you found my little video on the subject of help.
Alas, it is some time since I managed to get into the air myself. Many frustrations with the two gimbals I have. Serves me right for buying from Helipal!!

I just don't have the time to tweek them. Thinks it's the time to splash out on a new P2.

Hi

No worries. Thanks to you I shoot in nothing else now. I love playing with it in Final Cut. Very easy once you know how. Sorry to here your gimbals are poorly ..... :shock: :shock:

Time to treat yourself to a new P2 with a 3 axis gimbal methinks :)

Shrimpfarmer said:
It was a long wait for the sun to come out but it finally made an appearance. Hengistbury Head is a wonderful sand bar which almost encloses Christchurch Harbour. Its a great place to spend a day on the beach.

Hi ShrimpFarmer, your video looks fantastic. I am just getting into protune and FCPX. Do you use a filter (polarizer or other) on your GoPro when flying? Your colors looks so saturated.

I just got one for the GoPro but haven't used it while flying as I understand the gimbal won't tolerate the additional weight.

Thanks,

Andy

acoll123 said:
Shrimpfarmer said:

Hi ShrimpFarmer, your video looks fantastic. I am just getting into protune and FCPX. Do you use a filter (polarizer or other) on your GoPro when flying? Your colors looks so saturated.

I just got one for the GoPro but haven't used it while flying as I understand the gimbal won't tolerate the additional weight.

Thanks,

Andy

Thanks. No I have never used a filter on my quad, just the naked Gopro lens. What you see is down to protune and FCPX. Have a look at fair games video. Its easy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers