Help with versions: got v1.1 from Amazon today

Reaction score
I ordered the Phantom Sunday and it arrived from Amazon Prime today. On the box/label it says "v1.1". Should I even open the box? That seems like it is 3 versions behind. Did Amazon sell me an outdated model? Not sure what to do. I've spent probably 6+ hours reviewing setup materials, downloading the software, watching tips, etc. but I'm not sure what to do since I was expecting the latest v1.1.1 and the box says v1.1.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

juche1777 said:
Did you look under the quad or TX to see a ver. #?

No I didn't want to open it. Do you think Amazon would take the return if the seal is broken and I just look inside to check? If it's v1.1 I want to order one from a dealer I know is selling v1.1.1 and return this to Amazon for a full refund.

Thanks,
Mike

I have the 1.1 and the 1.1.2 there is no major upgrades here. Does it have 2 antennas....oh wait you haven't opened it. Well if it does it is very stable and handles well in crashes :lol: I meant to say it has good range and response.

Cheers!

mikeydaddio said:
juche1777 said:

No I didn't want to open it. Do you think Amazon would take the return if the seal is broken and I just look inside to check? If it's v1.1 I want to order one from a dealer I know is selling v1.1.1 and return this to Amazon for a full refund.

Thanks,
Mike

Yeah Amazon is the king of easy returns, even if you opened it. Just state on the return form that the product differs from the one advertised (it's one of the options you can choose). You can get in to the box if you want to be extra sure, but if the bar-code sticker on the outside doesn't specifically say 1.1.1 I'd just go ahead and send it back. There's been a few reports of some Amazon dealers shipping a 1.1 instead of a 1.1.1.

OI Photography said:
mikeydaddio said:
juche1777 said:

Thanks,
Mike

Yeah Amazon is the king of easy returns, even if you opened it. Just state on the return form that the product differs from the one advertised (it's one of the options you can choose). You can get in to the box if you want to be extra sure, but if the bar-code sticker on the outside doesn't specifically say 1.1.1 I'd just go ahead and send it back. There's been a few reports of some Amazon dealers shipping a 1.1 instead of a 1.1.1.

Thanks. I was able to peel the seal off without breaking it and look. Both Phantom and transmitter say v1.1. It does have two antennas and the left stick does return to the center but I don't see any gimbal stick on the back. I'd rather just be sure I get a v1.1.1 because I read the list of upgrades for v1.1.1 like new transmitter circuit board, more range, etc. and I don't know what of that I'd be missing with v1.1. I'll return it. Was going to order the new one via B&H Photo since theirs says v1.1.1 but I read one review where someone ordering from there got a v1.1. Maybe I should order from DroneFly instead?

BTW I read the Amazon reviews and not one complaint about not getting v1.1.1. In fact, one reviewer said he ordered before Christmas and got v1.1.1 from Amazon so I didn't think I had to worry. Well, NOW there will be a review saying they are shipping old ones! This was shipped from Amazon also, not a third party.

Mike

It won't have a gimbal stick on the back because you need to buy an upgrade board if you plan on installing a gimbal.

When you order the board it will come with the gimbal stick, but you will have to solder the board to the Phantom none come pre-installed but the Phantom 2 which came out in Dec. 13 or Phantom Vision RTF. Hope it helps.

juche1777 said:
btw, don't return it you will get the same thing when you order a 1.1.1 or 1.2

What do you mean? As I understand it, the version numbers run (from oldest to newest) v1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.1.1. I see at least one person who received a 1.1 to return it for a 1.1.1 and there are a host of differences between 1.1 and 1.1.1. Reference this post as an example:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... ostcount=8

Mike

mikeydaddio said:
juche1777 said:

What do you mean? As I understand it, the version numbers run (from oldest to newest) v1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.1.1. I see at least one person who received a 1.1 to return it for a 1.1.1 and there are a host of differences between 1.1 and 1.1.1. Reference this post as an example:

Mike
+1

But I think there was a 1.3 (not as recent as 1.1.1) as well as a dealer-named 1.2.1 (post 1.1.1) running around for a while too. The naming is a mess.

ElGuano said:
mikeydaddio said:
juche1777 said:

Mike
+1

But I think there was a 1.3 (not as recent as 1.1.1) as well as a dealer-named 1.2.1 (post 1.1.1) running around for a while too. The naming is a mess.

Yeah, I think what I was saying about the gimbal tilt lever on the back of the 1.1.1 tx is correct as well. If you look up the 1.1.1 upgrade, it clearly shows a white tilt lever on the back of the transmitter that none of the other versions had.

Mike

Agree naming is a mess, return it spend the extra $200 and buy a Phantom 2 you will have spent this in time and money getting it ready for what the P2 does already.

For what its worth, I returned a Phantom to Amazon after 28 days and many flights and they replaced it without a peep since it was defective. I got the replacement day before yesterday and it says V 1.1.1 and it does have the lever on back of the controller. I cannot tell the difference in the one I ordered a month ago and this one. IMHO, I would stay with Amazon because they'll take it back no questions asked if you have problems or just don't like it

Sokol said:
For what its worth, I returned a Phantom to Amazon after 28 days and many flights and they replaced it without a peep since it was defective. I got the replacement day before yesterday and it says V 1.1.1 and it does have the lever on back of the controller. I cannot tell the difference in the one I ordered a month ago and this one. IMHO, I would stay with Amazon because they'll take it back no questions asked if you have problems or just don't like it

I dunno. Tough to get pissed on and get sold an OLD product and then turn around and trust them again. Who knows what I'll get the second time around: could be another 1.1 as they seem to be selling it out of whatever they have on hand and don't care that it's the latest model! I'm just going to order it from B&H since theirs is labeled 1.1.1 on the product info and return this one to Amazon. Seems Amazon had an old one they wanted to get rid of and dumped it on me. Once burnt... I'm done.

Hell, for all I know I mighta got your old one. ;)

Mike

so,the IOSD mini will plug into the 1.1.1 phantom?
i wont need to get a CANBUS or anything else?

nwillitts said:
so,the IOSD mini will plug into the 1.1.1 phantom?
i wont need to get a CANBUS or anything else?

I have a V 1.1.1 and you still need to get the PMU for the Mini iOSD to work.

mikeydaddio said:
I dunno. Tough to get pissed on and get sold an OLD product and then turn around and trust them again. Who knows what I'll get the second time around: could be another 1.1 as they seem to be selling it out of whatever they have on hand and don't care that it's the latest model! I'm just going to order it from B&H since theirs is labeled 1.1.1 on the product info and return this one to Amazon. Seems Amazon had an old one they wanted to get rid of and dumped it on me. Once burnt... I'm done.

Hell, for all I know I mighta got your old one. ;)

Mike

Mike, I bought my Phantom 1.1.1 from B&H in December. They had the 1.1 and when I asked, the salesman was very knowledgeable and quickly admitted it was not the 1.1.1. They had the 1.1.1 but it was not on their website as they wanted to sell out of the 1.1 first and had a special deal. The salesman quickly offered to sell the 1.1.1 if that is what I wanted. He even threw in next day shipping so it would arrive before Christmas since their system had been down all day and I missed the shipping cutoff to get it before the holidays. Two days later the 1.1.1 was on the website and listed a free battery and 4 rechargeable AA batteries and charger. I called them and they said no problem and shipped them out to me for free.

I am very impressed with B&H. Amazon on the other hand, it took forever to get in touch with the seller and I was never convinced he had a clue what version he had for sale!

I doubt you'll get my old one....it wasn't in pristine condition to say the least. Good luck whichever way you go!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl