Help with USB connection problems

Reaction score
Hi,
Let me start by saying I'm a newbie here and with a brand new Phantom 2 V1.1.1. I've gone all out and bought a bunch of playful add ons like the Zenmuse H3-2D and the iPad Ground Station thing.

So far I've hovered the unit around my apartment living room, having not calibrated the compass, and everything went fine.

I've then laboured through installing the Gimbal unit and this seems to be working fine also, although I do need to calibrate I beleive so the panning feature works well.

That's about where everything went pear shaped. I've spent hours trying to connect it to my laptop (Windows 7 Professional) and my Desktop PC (Windows 8) and I can't seem to get the Assistants connecting to the Transmitter or Copter.

I've downloaded the DJI driver.
I've downloaded the DJI Assistant.
I've downloaded the Zenmuse Assistant.

The laptop recognises a device (with a 'beep') is attached but the Assistants don't see anything...

I've re-installed, shut down and re-started, re-installed again, I've sworn my head off but nothing seems to be able to complete the connection.

The DJI driver is in place - can see it in Device Manager...

I've considered I've got the start up order cocked up, or plugged too much or not enough in... seems I've tried all combinations.

I have noticed, however, that the desktop icons for the Assistants have the program logo along with a small "shield" on them which would indicate something is blocking the full use of the software. Have shut down my Eset Smart Security and done all combinations over again... still nothing.

Can anybody help? This is driving me crazy. Can't seem to find any solutions or forward movement anywhere.

Hope somebody can help. I'm hanging out to get this baby flying.

First, are you powering up the Phantom when you connect to the PC?

Also, make sure you downloaded the right "Assistant" for connecting to the NAZA (in the Phantom), separate from the ones for the controller or the Zenmuse.

The USB connection inside the Phantom, where the grey cable plugs into the LED board, is also notoriously finicky and sometimes takes a little wiggling at that connection for the PC to be able to connect to it. I had to replace the whole grey cable to get mine to work.

Thanks for your advice.

Yes, I am powering up all units and I've tried to just connect initially via the DJI Assistant. Have also tried all of the Assistants - Zenmuse, Naza etc - but have uninstalled all and just trying to get a connection via the DJI driver and DJI Assistant.

I've tried just connecting the Transmitter. Then just the aircraft. Then both. Still nothing. The laptop does "beep" when I connect them typically acknowledging something is connected and powered up. But no Assistant connection.

I did also notice that when installing the DJI driver, with the units connected, the last phase of the driver install a window shows a green tick alongside the driver name but alongside under "devices" it states: "no update required, no device found" or something similar.

Can't help but think the DJI devices/software are being blocked by something given the DJI driver is not seeing them connected even though they are. The big possible giveaway is the small shield icon showing on the Assistants logo/icon on my desktop.

Never experienced this kind of thing with any USB connected devices before. Extremely frustrating!

I think I will contact my antivirus and computer dudes and ask them before checking the cables.

Question on that subject: should the transmitter and aircraft be connected together? I'm assuming to install firmware updates this would be the case.

Frustrating experience and very limited troubleshooting advice available for idiots like myself.

The little shield on the Assistant Icon on your desktop just means Windows needs permission to run that app, which you can either give once or each time you run it. I do the latter, and it's doesn't interfere with my connections.

The Transmitter doesn't need to be connected to the Phantom for you to connect to the aircraft, but you will need the transmitter powered on to see the input reflected in real-time in the Assistant (when you move the sticks on the transmitter).

You can mess around all day with your PC, but I'd still try the cables first, just start by wiggling the little internal connection on the LED board. If the Phantom makes a successful connection to the PC, the Phantom's LED will glow bright green. If it's connected but not made a solid USB connection (a symptom of the wiring issue), the light will glow a very soft green, barely enough to see.

That makes sense. I am getting a dim green when connected. Time to pull it to bits and try the cables. Thanks a bunch... fingers crossed...

I'm completely lost now...

Have just pulled the aircraft top off, twiggled and changed the cable...uninstalled and re-installed the software... still no change to anything.

Done that too... I am fearing it must be a fault to the unit. Thanks a bunch for your help and guidance. I'll keep you posted when I get a solution. :)

Quick update.
Don't forget m a new it to all this DJI stuff. And in spite of once having up to 12 RC planes with cameras etc mounted that I designed etc many years ago...it's a brave new world out there.

After much frustration trying to get my drone connected and updated via USB I gave up and conceded and called my computer geek friend in to figure it all out, after many hours of trial and error he got us connected to the transmitter (using the RC assistant) and a,so to the drone (Naza M Assistant) and the Zenmuse (Senmuse Assistant).

My conclusion... I would have given my world for a few brief instructions somewhere in all the documentation that outlined these simple adaptations in simple terms. Instead with the V1.1.1 out of the box, the only manuals downloadable were related to earlier versions which made it every difficult to join all the dots.

Nevertheless, it all got done and my inaugural test flights in the living room of my apartment went well...except for the last one that trimmed a palm tree a little too close.

All good. Thanks for your valuable assistance OI Photography.

My next challenge is to fine tune the unit and take it outside safely, knowing what all the flashing LED lights mean.

(Take a look at my first 'real' flight by searching Boyd Jackson on Vimeo.com)

The Belt CPX with its collective pitch and powerful belt driven tail is a true 3D helicopter ready to fly out of the box!
Completely assembled and tested, Ready To Fly out of the box!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers