Help with taking off with no definite flat area.

Reaction score
So today I went to an area that had no definite flat area and i tried to get it as close to flat as I possibly could. Not sure if dumb or not but I took off from the sun roof on top of my car. If so please tell me... When I took off, stopped at about 7 ft. and it basically started going to the left and leaning left until I corrected it back to the right and then it would lean to the right and so on back and forth. I landed it and tried again and the same thing happened. No hover in the same spot. So I just landed it and waited and left from being frustrated.

Could not being taken off from a perfectly flat area cause this, or the metal in the car? I went home and took off from my driveway and it flew perfectly. If so, how do you manage to find a flat spot (not on your car) to take off from wherever you are?

Found this too right after posted. Closely related
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/phantom-goes-crazy-after-manual-rc-assisted-take-off.48336/

Also I did not have any compass errors or anything. I had a compass error before but not anything this time. Figured it was fine.

Use a piece of thin plywood or a plastic serving tray from the dollar store. I carry a small level and I level my hard case and use that in areas with uneven terrain.

Reactions: bobmyers
So today I went to an area that had no definite flat area and i tried to get it as close to flat as I possibly could. Not sure if dumb or not but I took off from the sun roof on top of my car. If so please tell me... When I took off, stopped at about 7 ft. and it basically started going to the left and leaning left until I corrected it back to the right and then it would lean to the right and so on back and forth. I landed it and tried again and the same thing happened. No hover in the same spot. So I just landed it and waited and left from being frustrated.

Could not being taken off from a perfectly flat area cause this, or the metal in the car? I went home and took off from my driveway and it flew perfectly. If so, how do you manage to find a flat spot (not on your car) to take off from wherever you are?

Found this too right after posted. Closely related
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/phantom-goes-crazy-after-manual-rc-assisted-take-off.48336/

Also I did not have any compass errors or anything. I had a compass error before but not anything this time. Figured it was fine.

Stay away from using your car-- I purchase one of those round helipads from UAV bits and just lay it flat on the ground-- shim it up if necessary or use your case as LuvMyTJ suggested.

Hand launch is no different than taking off from a slightly off level surface - unless someone can hold the P3 perfectly level with one hand. [emoji6] I take off quite often from slightly off level ground - tough to find on mountain hiking trails. Landing is different - I usually hand catch when in those situations.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj