Help with tablets

Reaction score
Hi guys my first post here i have had a vision 2 + for about a month now and have toiled over the best monitor for the system. my Phone is just not big enough (cause i am getting old) so i started using my ipad air. i figured i would find a less expensive alternative then a $500 ipad and have gone thru 3 tablets only to find that the ipad gets the best wifi signal. I tried the Verizon tablet then brought that back and got the LG with the newest 3d screen still not bright enough for outdoors and every time i walked around my phantom it would lose signal. going to bring that back today. waiting for my ipad air to have screen replaced after dropping it while flying last week (exactly what i tried to avoid). I have a friend that has a vision 2 with the black pearl screen i love that but not meant for the +. I had seen Costco sells the samsung tablets 7" and the larger but 7 is fine for $159. also i would like to lock on to the phantom wifi and disregard all other wifi signals so when i change batteries etc i dont have to go back into settings. any recommendations appreciated.
Thanks Joe

Well I bought a Samsung Tab 4 7", not to small not to big, and made a sunshade out of cardboard and flat black paint.I also bought a "square jellyfish" to hold the tablet on the RC.

Went thru 5 different tablets now last was the Samsung had connection lost constantly went back to my iPad Air with a otter case to protect it. I will post pix ASAP a bit big but screen is big bright and easy to see so are the camera controls. I used some go pro items works nice

I'm perplexed why so many people recommend tablets like iPad Mini for a dedicated FPV monitor?

The Vision app maxes out at 640x480 resolution for the FPV video preview --- so why spend $300 for an overpriced iPad when you can spend $45 on something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Alldaymall®-A...keywords=android+tablet+7+inch#productDetails

Buy a nice sunshade for it and you'll be rocking that Vision+ all over the sky like a pro.

iPad Mini (w/Retina Display) would work great for something like Lightbridge, but we're talking stock Phantom here. Don't pay for a Ferrari when you can get by perfectly fine with a Hyundai :mrgreen:

Reactions: kengineer
MadMitch88 said:
I'm perplexed why so many people recommend tablets like iPad Mini for a dedicated FPV monitor?

The Vision app maxes out at 640x480 resolution for the FPV video preview --- so why spend $300 for an overpriced iPad when you can spend $45 on something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Alldaymall®-A...keywords=android+tablet+7+inch#productDetails

Buy a nice sunshade for it and you'll be rocking that Vision+ all over the sky like a pro.

iPad Mini (w/Retina Display) would work great for something like Lightbridge, but we're talking stock Phantom here. Don't pay for a Ferrari when you can get by perfectly fine with a Hyundai :mrgreen:
The OP was using a $500.00 iPad Air. IMO too big for a dedicated monitor. iPad mini is half price of an air, and not just a monitor which will be outdated like the Phantom 1. ;)
How can you download and publish off your monitor? Apples to oranges not basic transportation. :lol:

Fplvert said:
The OP was using a $500.00 iPad Air. IMO too big for a dedicated monitor. iPad mini is half price of an air, and not just a monitor which will be outdated like the Phantom 1. ;)
How can you download and publish off your monitor? Apples to oranges not basic transportation. :lol:

I was under the presumption the OP is looking for a small tablet dedicated to only FPV? I just can't make sense of buying a $300 iPad Mini for this purpose when the FPV preview in the Vision app maxes out at 640x480. What's all the extra resolution being used for? Just making an incompetent fool like Tim Cook richer, and God knows there's enough of them clowns in Silicon Valley already. :mrgreen:

Now if the OP plans on using this tablet for other things besides FPV flying, then by all means splurge until the cows come home. In that case, I'd heartily recommend the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 with 2560x1600 display. Even the most geriatric of eyeballs will enjoy looking at that screen. :D I plan on buying one for myself as a Christmas present for being a good Phantom pilot. :roll:

Reactions: kengineer
dirkclod said:
I use mine for other things too ;)

I think that's Mitch's point, dirk. The OP was taking about a dedicated monitor (he wanted to lock onto the Phantom wi-fi and disregard all others)... not something he wants to use for other things. Mitch said the iPad is overkill for a dedicated monitor... and I would have to agree.

My only reservation is that the iPads screen is quite bright, regardless of resolution... which was one of the OPs requirements. And I know some of the really cheap tablets don't get all that bright.

ProfessorStein said:
My only reservation is that the iPads screen is quite bright, regardless of resolution... which was one of the OPs requirements. And I know some of the really cheap tablets don't get all that bright.

The iPad screen is very bright --- but I'd still use a nice shade regardless of which tablet the OP buys. A sunny day is hellish on FPV screens :p

Oh don't I know it. But even with a sunscreen, I would kill if my S4 could be as bright as my iPad (which... I... use for other things, by the way ;))

Sheesh, I thought this was about Tablets :roll:

Well I fixed my iPad Air screen and got a otter box case for $30 made a great bracket using go pro attachments and a quick release so now I use my air for fpv and disconnect when done. Never get a lost signal and screen is nice and big along with camera controls being bigger. Thanks for the help guys

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20