Help With Some Issues

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm having a problem with my wife's Phantom 2 FPV. We bought the package from Atlantahobby-mini iOsd, avl58 transmitter/receiver, cloverleaf antennas, fpv hub, monitor. Running with Phantom 2, Zenmuse h3-3d, and GoPro Hero 3+ black. We had some interference that we were eventually going to try and troubleshoot, but now a more pressing issue has surfaced. No video. Black screen, no Gopro display or video. Telemetry is working fine. Any suggestions on the problem as a whole would be appreciated, but I have a few specific questions that would help me nail down the problem. Its worth noting that the setup worked, with a not insignificant amount of interference, for about 2-3 weeks.

1). The iOSD uses the transmitter I assume? So the fact that I have good, clear telemetry data doesn't suggest a transmitter problem? Somehow I missed the fact that you shouldn't power up the tx without the antenna and it has been done a few times. Could I have messed up the transmitter but still receive telemetry?

2). When examining the problem, I noticed there was a very small tear in the zenmuse h3-3d ribbon cable. I changed it (and I will refrain from expressing my feelings on the design of that). Still no go. I saw the cable, and didn't really contemplate whether it was still working. It really was a very tiny tear. However, when I first changed it, it wasn't seated all the way and thus wasn't powering the Gopro. Now it is. So, the question is, I had an awful time changing the cable and bent it a few times. No visible damage or tears, but you never know. Is it possible to have the cable damaged and not carry the video, yet still power the GoPro?

I guess those are my two main questions. I'm kind of at a loss. Any help is appreciated. I'll close with what I think are some relevant info points.
-All cables are seated firmly. This setup worked for a while.
-Tx was turned on without antenna attached a few times.
-Gimbal, tx, mini iOSD all have power. Gopro is being powered as well.
-Telemetry is displayed fine and is accurate.
-No crashes or hard landings.

Guess I'm kind of repeating myself, but I didn't want to leave anything out.

1. Correct, the telemetry overlay is a video signal, so if you can see this, your TX is OK. You will get some interference, as it is an analogue video signal, so at some point you will get drop out. Better antennae and a dual diversity receiver help, as would a more powerful TX.

2. Yes, the ribbon cable could power the camera and not pass video, as it is carried on separate lines. The fact that you struggled to fit the cable suggests you might possibly have damaged it.

You really need a meter, so that you can check the continuity of the signal lines. It may not be the ribbon cable, but just a dry joint on the cable going into the iOSD.

These cables are all fragile and it is very easy to damage one without even realising. I had to resolder a couple of joints on mine to fix an intermittent picture, but my H3-3D has the mounting back plate, so no ribbon cable to damage.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4