Help with Inspire 1 mount install

Reaction score
Had a question to those of you that have done the Inspire mount mod. I've taken my controller apart and it seems there's a bundle of wires and also a plastic ridge right where I want to drill. Obviously, I want to move the wires before I drill, but what about the plastic ridge? Do I just cut it away? Will I lose some rigidity in the controller?

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1448725791.617912.jpg

Had a question to those of you that have done the Inspire mount mod. I've taken my controller apart and it seems there's a bundle of wires and also a plastic ridge right where I want to drill. Obviously, I want to move the wires before I drill, but what about the plastic ridge? Do I just cut it away? Will I lose some rigidity in the controller?

View attachment 36718
Don't worry. Once you've removed the silicone holding the wires in place you'll see there's already a gap in the ridge. The hole you're going to drill will be right in that gap, but it's not a bad idea to cut off some plastic from each side of it for better clearance. You won't make the controller weaker by doing so.

Thanks for the responses. Makes me feel better before I butcher my week old controller.

You won't regret it. The Inspire 1 mount is great.

DSC_9332_fix.jpg

Done!

P.Lindblom, I tried just screwing it into the plastic like you first, but it wobbled horribly? Does yours?

Ended up putting in this two piece nut that I found on Summit Racing and now it's rock solid.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1448729760.165309.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1448729771.450697.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1448729782.116637.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1448729790.500968.jpg

Reactions: dirkclod
I just did the same for my bird and my brother's using the same nut and Inspire 1 mobile device holder. Very stable and looks nice as well...
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1448733407.835686.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1448733424.885472.jpg

The part number for the nut is AAF-ALL18548; 2 in a package from Summit Racing for those who are interested in doing similar mod.
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/AAF-ALL18548

Last edited:
Looks good!

Problem I have now is that the controller doesn't fit right in the DJI backpack anymore. I have to remove the mount to be able to zip up the bag. Real bummer!

Looks good!

Problem I have now is that the controller doesn't fit right in the DJI backpack anymore. I have to remove the mount to be able to zip up the bag. Real bummer!
Even with it folded down ?

The DJI hardshell backpack is designed to hold an upright P3P/P3A remote and as the P3S remote is 30mm taller IT won't fit. With a considerable amount of cutting of the insert you might be able to fit the remote on its side.
Well that's a pain !

Looks like my only option is to modify the foam or remove the mount each time. Or get a new case.

Thanks for all your help, guys! I'm def doing this mod! The Inspire 1 holder is so much nicer!

Can you use a tablet with wifi only?? No cellular?? I.e iPad mini 2 or android tablet

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

FYI, I recently posted comprehensive instriuctions for this mod here.

Reactions: Mitch40
Thanks for Posting thaat msinger!

You're welcome :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik