Help with gopro 3 wiring

Reaction score
HI i have a phantom 2(non vision) fitted with an immersion RC a cheap ebay gimbal and a gopro3.
Could someone please tell me where to connect the small wiring loom from the gopro charge port so i can receive FPV on my Black pearl monitor. Phantom is also fitted with an OSD transmitter.
Thanks.

Hi thanks that`s a great article but i can`t see where you actually solder the wires from the gopro port connection.
i have a plug that goes in the gopro charge port that has a yellow and black coming from it. i know that the black is ground and the yellow is video i`m just not sure where to connect them too.
Do they just splice to the yellow and black connection in the immersion RC.
thanks again sorry if i`m being a bit thick.

Hi thanks that`s a great article but i can`t see where you actually solder the wires from the gopro port connection.
i have a plug that goes in the gopro charge port that has a yellow and black coming from it. i know that the black is ground and the yellow is video i`m just not sure where to connect them too.
Do they just splice to the yellow and black connection in the immersion RC.
thanks again sorry if i`m being a bit thick.

The immersion transmitter uses two connectors one for video and the other for power. In that pictorial for the video connector, the OP removed the ground which is not correct as the ground is needed.

The USB connector you suing in this setup is only utilizing the video/ground output from the camera would go directly to the transmitter's video connector.
Inside the P2 there is a socket labeled CAM which originally had a multi-colored wire attached (yellow, brown, red, brown) the red and brown is the 5 volt power source for the transmitter. There should be any problems connecting power or video to the transmitter as it is well marked. But if you make a mistake with B+ connections at the CAM socket and cross the ground/power lines you will short out L2 as in the following photos.

Immersion 600mw wiring.jpg
2015-01-21_184122_zpsac023198.jpg
Shorted L2 main board.jpg

the OP removed the ground which is not correct ]

Sorry mate I just googled the subject and picked the first link, wonder if the OP who wrote the article knows he's done it wrong?

Sorry mate I just googled the subject and picked the first link, wonder if the OP who wrote the article knows he's done it wrong?

As long as the OP wires it correctly who cares. Of course, the person who posted that Google pictorial was probably wondering why he wasn't getting video on his screen. Oh well !!

Reactions: crash1sttime
So what your saying is I have to wire it to the cam socket inside the phantom on the motherboard

So what your saying is I have to wire it to the cam socket inside the phantom on the motherboard

Is the original connector and wire still attached to the CAM socket? If not go back and look at the schematic as pins 3 and 4 supply the power output for your transmitter while pins 1 and 2 were for video but only if you were using a zenmuse gimbal. So the video has to come directly from the camera to the transmitter.

I know the original flat grey loom is still plugged in but not connected I think the other wires are connected to the immersion rc. I get all the telemetry from the osd to the black pearl I just need to find out how to connect the GoPro

I know the original flat grey loom is still plugged in but not connected I think the other wires are connected to the immersion rc. I get all the telemetry from the osd to the black pearl I just need to find out how to connect the GoPro

Take detailed photos of the TX, iOSD, and the inside of the P2 and post them here so I can see what has been done as from what you are saying is not making sense. Take the photo horizontally, please.

Ok Jason thanks for your help ok will give it ago will strip it down tomorrow as no time today thanks again it does have a Chinese gimbal not the zenmuse

Ok Jason thanks for your help ok will give it ago will strip it down tomorrow as no time today thanks again it does have a Chinese gimbal not the zenmuse

I'm just concerned as to how it wired up. So all you need to do open the shell and take the photos.

I'm just concerned as to how it wired up. So all you need to do open the shell and take the photos.

Here some more questions that I need an answer to when you are back online tomorrow. What GoPro model do you have is it a 3 or a 3+ and is it a silver or black? Next what firmware version is no the camera? When you first turn on the camera at the very bottom of the LCD you will see the version but it will only stay on the screen for a second or two. This information is important as well as the photos.

Hear's the problem with your GoPro 3+ silver the v03.02 blocks video signals output and will have to be rolled back to vo2.00 so go to the following link download it to your computer. Drivers filed under: GoPro HERO3+ Camera Firmware Make sure you have downloaded for the silver. If you have never installed firmware on your GP before then go to GoPro website for instruction in how to do it. Follow the instructions to the letter or you will spend a lot of time redoing it.

Since you are using a simple USB cable for your camera red goes to red and black to brown on the CAM socket which is pins 1 and 2 coming off the socket. Hopefully the USB connector you are using on GP is video and not power. Best to check with a VOM to make sure it's not voltage. Need to see what USB connector you are using.

Last edited:
Thanks Jason for your help I think it's video as one wire is yellow the other is black. So the yellow goes to pin 1 and the black to pin 2.

Thanks Jason for your help I think it's video as one wire is yellow the other is black. So the yellow goes to pin 1 and the black to pin 2.

I saw something in the video at 12 volt battery connection as there is second pair of red/black wires that just doesn't look right. could trace those back to whatever they are feeding. The camera cannot run on 12 v directly off the P2 battery instead its powered by from the zenmuse sockets 5v source if you were using a zenmuse gimbal and was used to keep the camera power up instead of using its own battery to run the camera.

The colours of the wires on the camera socket on the phantom are yellow,brown,red,brown so the browns are ground which one is the video

The colours of the wires on the camera socket on the phantom are yellow,brown,red,brown so the browns are ground which one is the video

The yellow is the video and brown is ground going to the transmitter. But even after you connect those correctly with firmware you have on the camera it will not and all you will see is the iOSD display.. You will need to roll back the firmware to version 2.0 which I sent the link. Look the camera may work when not attached to the P2 but not when it's connected to it.

I am out cutting the lawn may not be able to answer right away. You are in the UK are you not?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan