Help with DashWare, not working under Windows 10 VM

Reaction score
Hello all. I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to get DashWare to work inside of a Windows 10 VM. The issue is with the video files which DashWare seems unable to read. I have a P3P and have used 1080p source videos (as opposed to 4k, which I've read DashWare does not like). I have even run my P3 source files through HandBrake in an attempt to see if perhaps the issue was how the file was encoded.

When I try to use DashWare:
- The video preview box is always empty (black) after my video file has been selected
- Saving a project video finishes instantly AND saves an ~11MB garbage (ie: useless) video file
- The video merge function does not work (fails immediately with a "Video merge failed." alert

I have tried this with Windows under 2 hypervisors:
- I have a Windows 10 VM that I use via RDP access, virtualized in KVM
- I have a Windows 10 VM locally on my MacBook under Parallels

The behavior is precisely the same in both virtual machines.

Any thoughts as to what I might be doing wrong? I'm normally an all *nix guy so I get the sense I may be missing something obvious. I would be grateful for any assistance.

Thanks!

-Aaron

Which did you download first? Win 10 then Dashware or Dashware then Win 10?
Seems I have heard of video issues with video files where Dashware was downloaded first. Something to do with the nativity of FFmpg already in Win 10 vs loading it from the interweb on top of Dashware.

A shot in the dark as I don't use Win 10.

Win 10 first in both cases. I am new to DashWare. I've stepped through the tutorial but it really seems to hate the video files I feed it.

You never mentioned selecting a .csv flight log file to go along with the video.

You never mentioned selecting a .csv flight log file to go along with the video.
I have followed all of the steps in that process. I was basically trying to say that when I try to make a video with logs, it fails and when I try to use to merge it fails which is all to say that it seems to be choking on the video files. It seems to be reading the CSV data just fine.

So just so that I am being clear about what the ask is here. I fully understand how to use DashWare, how to add the CSV data, etc. This is not in question at all. I am simply trying to determine why DashWare hates all of the video files that I feed it.

Maybe update Win 10 video card drivers? Will any video play on Win 10 like say you tube?

We posted at the same time...........

Both systems are virtual and the video drivers for the respective hypervisors are up to date. VLC and youtube seem to work just fine. Kind-of baffled by this.

What video playback program are you using, ie Windows media, Quicktime? And whichever you use plays the videos fine?

I'd like to get this resolved as I was thinking of upgrading to Win 10.

I have tested this with QuickTime and VLC

I had been staring at that. I've tried everything on there seemingly to include the K-lite codecs. The one thing that I am just now seeing is under the "Mac" question they make the statement about it being compatible with Windows XP -> 8.1. Perhaps I need to try a Windows 7 VM. The other thing that strikes me is that my original output files were .movs, one of which I had tried converting to mp4 for the benefit of DashWare. I am going to go home and record fresh video with the .mp4 suffix. Hopefully one of these will fix it. I will keep you posted :) Thanks for the suggestions

So the moral of the story is that DashWare really does not want to work under Win 10. I recorded a short drone flight in 1080p (this time with .mp4 extension), downloaded and converted the data to CSV and fed it into a Windows 7 VM (under Parallels) -- It works perfectly. I tried the same data-set on Win 10 again just for giggles and it failed. DashWare needs stronger warnings about compatible versions of Windows.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj