Help Understanding LightBridge Please

Reaction score
If I could ask what must be a dumb question (sorry for that if it is), I plan to pre-order the P3 in the next couple of days, but know very little about the LightBridge function and use of my Android Tablet to replace my mobile phone for FPV, Waypoints flights, etc.

My Android Tablet (which I won at a car dealership event, but never took it out of the box) is WIFI capable, but I don't have mobile phone service set up for it.
So far I've only flown the P2V and recently got a P2V+ 3.0, and I've only used my mobile phone (Galaxy Note 3) with the DJI mobile App.

Do I need to have some sort of cell service, or can I just connect to the P3 via the Android Tablet device WIFI?

Thanks for any help you can give, as this would clear-up a lack of knowledge on this.

-- Bob

Thanks so much DBS!
It looks like my P3 Pre-Order is going in tonight.
Just remember... the DJI Pilot app is a resource intensive app... it needs to be a decent tablet with enough processing power to run something like this... also needs magnetometer and GPS for certain functions to work properly.

If you are gonna run your $1200 bird on a $79 playschool tablet... you're gonna have a bad time.

Well it's a bridge.... and it's made of light. They call it Lightbridge....... Now just give me an F and move on.

For reference:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

183b66d90b7650d49b19655244d3bc178552cdbde89f472ea0d05ef8e47c3a88.jpg

Just remember... the DJI Pilot app is a resource intensive app... it needs to be a decent tablet with enough processing power to run something like this... also needs magnetometer and GPS for certain functions to work properly.

If you are gonna run your $1200 bird on a $79 playschool tablet... you're gonna have a bad time.
Nexus 7 2013 seems to be the best for the $

Reactions: bobomet

Huh? Needs a magnetometer and GPS for certain functions to work?
I didn't realize this. Which functions?

GPS is used to show your live homepoint so the bird knows where you are as well as where it took off from... magnetometer shows which way the controller is facing in relation to where the bird is in the radar HUD overlay.

In a nutshel, lightbridge is an amplified wifi communication between your controller and the phantom. It can stream live FPV video as well as flight information to your tablet.
It used to be a separate system to use with phantom+gopro or higher-end S series drones. But it was integrated into the inspire 1, and now Phantom 3.

Reactions: bobomet

Yes... and it's already listed as compatible on the DJI specs page...

Recommended Devices
  • iOS: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, and iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus
  • Android: Samsung S5, Note 3, Sony Xperia Z3, Google Nexus 7 II, Google Nexus 9, Mi 3, Nubia Z7 mini
  • *Support for additional Android devices available as testing and development continues

Reactions: skeeter
I think there is an issue with this USB video feed, the tablet/phone will start to charge off the controller battery, not good

Hmm. I didn't see any iOS devices on the list. So now we need an Android OS for the new bird?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic