Help to a begginer

Reaction score
I am a begginer starting from zero in the let´s say "Drone world"
I need help to troubleshoot the problems I have with my Phantom1.
I know nothing about this kind of stuff and my experience is only with old kind radio controled devices.
Instead of a ready to fly I choose a kit like drone that needs care fom start.
I am learning day by day because the model I choose does not works and i have to search for info.
I can not fly it with different sinthoms and troubles. flashing red led like battery voltage fail or other malfunction.
I tried to enter into the programming of the Naza to see what was programmed inside and to check if any parameter shows me were the problem is.
I installed the DJI NAZA asistant software, two of them the version 2.X or something and the lite version and of course the driver for the computer.
I can not communicate with the Phantom. the program does not communicate at all.
I connected the usb cable directly to the computer without success, so I suppose the cable is not the problem unless the usb is disconnected inside the NAZA. I do not want to open de drone to check it.
I registered in a DJI screen that appeared when downloading the soft. the program ask for a serial number longer than the Drone itself. I can not find the serial number and thereis a limited number of tries to fill.
I do not know what to do. I am stuck on this.
I do not know if the previous owner made a programming of the cpu and it needs a different software to communicate.
Please, help.....¡
Thanks for your help.
I edited to include data of the device : it is a P330D version 1.1.1 but I have been told it was modified to 1.1.2 ?¿ Windows XP.

Last edited:
Anselmo,

Do you have a copy of the Phantom's Owner Manual?

You need to spend some time reading that to get an idea of how to start the Phantom and how to fly it.

After you do that, it will be much easier for us to help answer any questions that you have.

You should be able to fly WITHOUT first using the DJI Assistant or even WITHOUT registering the Phantom.

The DJI Assistant lets you change what switches on your controller do but that's not necessary to actually fly it. It comes pre-programed to fly right out of the box.

It's also a good idea to register the Phantom at the DJI website, but again that is not necessary to actually fly it either.

Fred

P.S. I can upload a copy of the Manual for you if you don't have a copy. It's really IMPORTANT to read that first.

OK, Thanks.
The drone can not fly as there is a problem or error that makes the led indicator flash red when starting to fly after calibrations (in GPS mode).
If it does not fly in GPS, I am not confident to fly it manually (if possible)
it can fly forcing the gas but it falls down by the red alarm...
I suppose the problem is a compass magnetized, or a problem with batteries, battery detection level...or who knows what.
the manual tells there is a problem if I get red flashing....I get no more from the manual.
I do not plan to fly the thing, only to rise it 1 meter on air to see how the sticks are programmed to control. I do not know how to fly it, of course.
my cousin is going to pass me a simulator (remote controller+ software)
Only getting 1 metre high and make it land shmoothly is enough for me.
Well. the manual and all the literature i read about naza and so..on... does not let me know what happens to the drone..
The manual tells the same I konw , there is a problem.
I can calibrate it and it passes all controls but when flying goes down suddenly because the red flashing alarm.
the software assistant to communicate to the drone does not connect.
i try different driver installation order and assistan versions.
it seems I need a factory serial number or license number. probably I am stuck on this.
If I could communicate with the drone I culd see if there is a parameter I can blame (I suppose).
I´ll try to register the Thing in DJI if it helps. are they going to give me the serial number?
I am sure the manual is not going to help me to troubleshoot it.
The english of the manual is not correct as are all chinese stuff mannuals , the description of the switches psositios as GPSatti+atti+atti means nothing to me, and of course English is not my native language.
Seriously, I plastified the manual and use it as a landing matt. I can not get more from it.
If DJI is not able to give me the password I can do nothing. I see no further than this.
other possibility is to purchase a Naza like copy and start from new. (if there is not a password in naza copy, of course).

Last edited:
What version of Windows are you using? I think your first problem is that you do not have the drivers installed correctly to recognize the Phantom. The constant red flashing usually means battery is low. Is this a new battery?

I agree with Syotr's comment. Having recently gone through the painful experience of trying to get Windows 10 to recognize the DJI driver it seems almost certain that you will be having the same issues. If you search on here, or YouTube you will find plenty of helpful advice about how to get your PC to accept the driver.
With regard to a constant red flashing LED it seems likely that your battery may not be holding charge, particularly common if it's old or not been used and stored correctly.

If you can lift off but can not maintain altitude it's almost certain that your battery is either failing or that it wasn't charged properly.

Since the LiPo battery used by a Phantom can very easily go bad if not cared for properly, it's probably best and easiest to just buy a few new batteries and eliminate the old battery as the problem. The old battery may even charge to the right voltage but because its old it may not be able to hold the voltage long once its put in use.

You should also buy a battery checker like this one o check your battery before each flight and after each charging.
Icstation Mini 1S-8S Lipo Battery Voltage Tester DC 0.5V-36V 3 Digit LED Display for RC Quadcopter Airplane Car: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Keeping your new batteries healthy is very important so you also need to learn how to care for and store LiPo batteries.

Thanks to all for your help.
In my case I am using a trusty old Laptop running Windows XP.
Of course I bought one of these battery testers. even I received another one yesterday from ebay China at near 1 Euro.
The meters show a good voltage, another thing is the real capacity of the batteries.
There is an Intelligent battery charger included and seems to charge an identify the batteries well.
The IMAX is the name.
The deal included 6 Batteries , one of them has an element exaust that gives 0 volts.
I understand the technology of batteries and see are old used, but before to buy a new one , i would like to asure the problem is the voltage drop and single or double level warning of the drone.
The drone was modified to hold two batteries, one at each side. as it has a transmitter for FPV and a Gimbal.
This adds consumtion to the batteries also.
If I only could connect to the Naza, I can check the level of the battery low cut out programmed in it.
probably It was modified to support the two bateries and now I am playing only with one...
the batteries I receive are different approuch of the former user to improve the capacity. one of 2700 mAmp. one original from DJI of 2200 Mamp. and longuer ones to get more flying time.
I can connect a power supply of my Radio Amateur Hobby and check. it has almost 20 to 50 amps capacity. but first ..let me connect to the Naza.
I did a try installing 3 different Assistants , no way........
I installed the driver after connecting all stuf to the drone etc... no way.....
The DJI web shows an old Naza assistant screen that is not the same of the three I download from the web.
I wonder if the "CPU" inside is not a Naza itself and is a diferent Kind of navigation unit. perhaps there is not communication because this.
It only takes me to open the drone completelly to se what is inside.
I am taking it easy as it takes me too long to progress.
Of course a ready to fly unit can let me fly directely but knowing nothing about how it works inside.
I am going to check using a different computer with Windows 10 to see what happens.
Thanks again for your support and help, and sorry about my poor English.

Last edited:
No need to apologise for your English! I also use an IMAX charger and they are very good. Hopefully your new batteries will cure the red led problems. If your laptop uses Windows XP i would expect it to recognize the DJI driver and for you to connect to flight assistant ok. If you are still having problems let us know

I think I found the internal usb conector a bit out. Perhaps during the Last crash it went out.
I AM going to check it after finding a longd twizers to pushe it in by the battery Door compartment.

Last edited:
My good...the phone corrector makes mistakes.
I'll post a picture if posible.

Last edited:
It works. finally....¡
the usb connector was disconnected.
Now I can communicate with the Naza.
Assistant is version 2.18
The device is detected by the computer, the Led goes green solid.
Now rests to find why the red flashing error, my main problem.
I checked all the data using the assistant.
the only I find different is the Compass(raw) value of 1744.3 (Mod)
I do not know if this is a normal value. Anyone knows...please?
The drone is inside house when reading.
X 275...Y-186.....Z199 are the values.

The battery detection levels are:
first level: no load 11,30 Loss 0,60 loaded 10,70
second level: no load 11,20....Loss 0,60.....Loaded 10,60V.
I suppose is fine....... isn´t it?

It works. finally....¡
the usb connector was disconnected.
Now I can communicate with the Naza.
Assistant is version 2.18
The device is detected by the computer, the Led goes green solid.
Now rests to find why the red flashing error, my main problem.
I checked all the data using the assistant.
the only I find different is the Compass(raw) value of 1744.3 (Mod)
I do not know if this is a normal value. Anyone knows...please?
The drone is inside house when reading.
X 275...Y-186.....Z199 are the values.

The battery detection levels are:
first level: no load 11,30 Loss 0,60 loaded 10,70
second level: no load 11,20....Loss 0,60.....Loaded 10,60V.
I suppose is fine....... isn´t it?

The last version of the assistant suitable for the Phantom 1 is the 2.20 and can be downloaded from the section Phantom 1 of the DJI site.

DJI Phantom Drone

However I do not think that using the 2.18 can make many differencies.
As you can see in the Help window of IMU Calibration section of the "TOOLS" menu, raw values should be between -500 and 500 and the Mod value should be between 750 and 2250.
So the values you read are in the normal range.
However you can perform a Basic or advanced IMU calibration without problems, but I think you will get no significant changes.
About the battery levels, personally I would introduce an additional 0.1/0.2 difference between the first and second level(e.g. second level to 11.0, loss 0.6 loaded 10.4) in order to have more time from the first blinking red advice to land under your control and not in auto-landing.
If you feel that 10.4 is too close to a dangerous low voltage for your battery (someone thinks that 3.3V/cell is the limit), you can increase both levels of 0.1.
About the red flashing, it can be a problem of battery voltage detection.
In the same page where you find the first and second low voltage level settings, there is a "Battery" section. Double check that the setting for battery type is 3S (the default is 2S) and that the current voltage shown matches with the real voltage of your battery(that you can measure with a voltage meter). If not, press the calibration button and insert exactly the voltage you measure with the meter.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj