help required dropping a camera off with drone

I have never dangled anything from my bird, but if I did, especially with a hook, I would consider how to disconnect in the event of snagging the wrong item. Snag something too heavy to lift could be a problem if you can't release. We know from prior test that a P3 can lift about 2.5 pounds and in this case you know how much weight the GoPro is, thus I would consider creating a weak link next to the bird. Maybe a connector that would pull apart at less than the max lifting weight, but hold for the needed weight. If not a connector, maybe a inch or two of monofilament, maybe 1 lb test. I would conduct my own test to make sure that the bird can actually produce enough lift to disconnect or break the link. This link would be placed so close to the bird that it couldn't fling up into the props and because you are going up, the dangled line would drop or spring downward.

Here's how I see it in my mind:
A weighted hook, length of line, thin ridged length of wooden dowel, and the breakaway link as described above.

Good luck.

Sent from the Traveler from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

You are over-complicating this, dump the drone. If you can attach a fishing line long enough to get to the ground, then you can loop the line around a ring up by the go-pro. When don simple start pulling the line and the gopro along with it off the ledge and lower it to the ground with the slack side. Cut the line and reel it up, and you can retrieve the ring when the cement is dry.

Second thought, don't listen to me, everyone here wants to see video of this being tried.

Reactions: Excavator99
How long is the pour going to take? If it's only about an hour then I would just park the phantom on the ledge and use it to either record lower res video or set the camera to take a picture every 10 or 20 seconds for a time lapse effect. When the pour is done just take off and land below. If you are sitting underneath you can monitor everything from the remote, including taking off if the battery drops down to 40% before the pour is done. I've seen several threads from people having trouble with flashing and it takes about 3 hours to drain the battery without the rotors running. You should be able to get to 90 minutes and only be at 50% battery.

I like the idea. A rigid loop of wire attached to the GoPro and either a weighted hook on the bird or a rigid rod with a hook. I'd practice at a relatively low altitude first, both to perfect your technique and to verify there will be no weight issues.

Attach a rigid rod with hook at the top, to the GoPro. Maybe fashion one out of a metal clothes hanger but that I would test on the ground first in case of compass issues.

I used a bungee tie down(3 ft) dangling from my phantom for this :

Reactions: sonof40
I would try your proposed scenario on the ground. See if you can hook the camera, then see if it can lift the weight while its on the ground in front of you. I suspect you will find this more difficult than you are imagining with the prop wash. Then, IF you hook the camera, now you have it swinging from the bottom on the Phantom.

Suggestion:
Providing the Phantom will lift the weight, maybe tie-wrap a piece of plastic between the landing gear with Velcro on it. Place it in such a way the camera can still see straight down. Put the other side of the Velcro on top of the camera. Lower straight down touch the Velcro together and fly off.

By all means record this operation and post it !

upload_2016-8-26_14-10-44.png

Last edited:
That shows it is not that easy to catch something with the P3. It is needed to have vertical and horizontal view, the vertical view can be given by the P3 but the horizontal can be given either by a second P3 or direct view from ground.

A neo magnet on a string would work perfectly and be quite simple. Attach another magnet to the go pro and you're done.

A neo magnet on a string would work perfectly and be quite simple. Attach another magnet to the go pro and you're done.
The compas will love it :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl