Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

HELP - recover crash video

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by WetCoastWillie, Jun 12, 2014.

1. WetCoastWillie

I need help with recovering a video from a crash.

Yup, these reports of P2V+'s falling out of the sky are real and I can prove it.. If someone can tell me how to recover an MP4 file from the crash.

I was flying around the back yard to test the new 32gb card in the Flytrex, nothing fancy just up down circling the house to see if the new micro SD in the Flytrex was working.

I was about about 40 -50 feet away and it was about 80 feet in the air just over my house, I could see it clearly when all of a sudden all 4 light went dead, complete loss of power and it dropped from the sky.

I let out a big $%#!, then my wife - sitting in the living room - heard a "huge bang!" on the roof.

It bounced off the roof and into the front yard. Battery was about 5 feet away, camera and gimble toast, but the SD cards were intact.

So here is where I need some help. the Flytrex data on the Flytrex SD is fine but the video on the camera SD card is "can not open file". the file is there but it is a white box instead of an image for the thumbnail.

Is there a way to recover this file. I want to match it with the Flytrex data to show what happened.

Can someone please help, I'll share the crash video :shock:

Here's a link to the Flytrex data http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopter-phlying-phantom-matt-lennox-40029

PS. I have extended warranty protection on my Visa that I bought it with, has anyone ever successfully made a claim for this kind of thing?

2. photomikey

Try opening it in MPEG Streamclip (free).

2nd option is loading it in VLC (also free), but harder to export from.

3. povlhp

Only thing I have found that wiorks is to pop the card into another FC200 camera, and it will clean up the video.
    So look for another Vision or Vision+ owner to help.

You will lose 10-30 last secs.

4. XL-Studios

5. D_Tshudy

More info here:
    viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17172
    and here:
    viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13169

In short, you'll need a video tool and none worth a **** are free. This one works well on phantom files but the free version will only repair the first half of the video. http://grauonline.de/cms2/

When setting options for the repair, be sure to choose a reference file of the same resolution/fps as the damaged file. Also, select Enable AVC1 single mode. I've purchased the software so if you have a file or two that you need repaired, share them with me and I'll fix them for you.

6. henri2398

You can look for appropriate tool on Google to recover mp4 videos from camera that got crash. I hope you will get several tool over there. But before that just check your card is not damaged or broken.

7. Mako79

Does your phantom and gimbal still power on? If so, just insert battery and power on and let the file finalise. If that doesn't work, try accessing it on the Vision app and playing it back for a few seconds.

8. MapMaker53

Not sure what you are expecting to see on the video. Up until the power shut off, it was flying fine. As soon as the power is totally cut, I would assume that the camera would immediately lose all power and go black. It isn't like landing and just shutting down the motors prematurely without stopping the video first, with the battery still powered on. Seems you are describing an instant loss of all power which would instantly kill everything.

9. RoyVa

#9 RoyVa, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  10. dirtybum

Yeah, i agree, yer not gonna see much. You had a battery/power failure. Nature of the hobby! Electronics 80' in the air. Gotta be prepared to say "s**t, that sucked" every time u fly.