Help reconditioning my batteries

Reaction score
My 4 batteries have been sitting in the carrying case for months, and I stored them at full capacity, thinking I would be using them all the time. I would like to discharge them and charge them up again a few times.....is there any way to do this without flying?

Thanks!

Don't discharge lipos. It's a myth founded in older battery technology. Nimh batteries needed to be discharged as maintenance. Lipos are the opposite. Low voltage on a lipo is what damages the cell. That and overcharging a specific cell. This is where having a cell balancing charger is so important. It's built into dji batteries.

ok, but the first battery acted weird the first time I flew it... rapidly discharged.....so I thought I would discharge and recharge the rest at least once before flying them. Just don't know how to do it without flying.

If you are worried about capacity you could let the props spin up on the ground or hover a bit and wait. Don't let lipos discharge below 15%. Every charge cycle on a lipo effectively lowers it's ability to hold capacity. If they get below 3.5 volts per cell it is very bad for the battery. The batteries get literally puffy and become unstable. You can see this with soft packaged batteries. Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to hook up a dji to a good balancing charger to see the voltage. Eventually all lipo batteries will become kaput. Just like your few year old phone that dies quickly.

Reactions: yorlik
if your looking for a way to discharge your batteries on the ground do an ebay search for battery discharger unit, they cost about 13 GBP and are basically a circuit board with a 35W bulb, i use one to discharge my batteries if im not able to fly and they work fine.

High Quality 12V Battery Discharger with 35W Bulb for DJI Phantom 2 UK Shipping

I did a review of it here

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You haven't identified a specific problem other than you'd like to recondition your batteries, so it's difficult for the membership to provide sound advice.

IMO, first thing you should do is read your manual.

If you stored the batteries at full capacity for months, then you made a critical error and your batteries are probably swollen. If so, you will want to read about swollen lipos and what to do about them. See your manual. DJI recommends you retire them.

If they're not swollen, please provide more info and be specific.

if your looking for a way to discharge your batteries on the ground do an ebay search for battery discharger unit, they cost about 13 GBP and are basically a circuit board with a 35W bulb, i use one to discharge my batteries if im not able to fly and they work fine.

High Quality 12V Battery Discharger with 35W Bulb for DJI Phantom 2 UK Shipping

I did a review of it here

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks! Ordered from a US shipper.

If you stored the batteries at full capacity for months, then you made a critical error and your batteries are probably swollen.

Yep, I did make a critical error, and they are......time for new batteries.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic