Help - Purchasing FPV TX and Gimbal

Reaction score
Yes, I'm a newbie still.

It's mind boggling almost seeing so many products on eBay for selecting a TX and gimbals. Wide range of prices.

I'm looking at the attached TX. Any input is appreciated. What does the "600mW" mean? Does it have to do with distance that the unit can transmit via LOS? I had just purchased a Lilliput FPV monitor that has a built in RX (5.8 GHz). So, I shouldn't need a separate RX - I hope!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251295000187?ss ... 1423.l2649

As far as inexpensive gimbals, relatively speaking, there are so many on eBay. Do most of them come with plug & play wires? The dang customer supports don't speak much English to answer properly as they don't understand the questions very well!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360735279790?ss ... 1423.l2649

Thanks a bunch!

I run the 600mw immersionRC vtx with upgraded high gain cloverleaf antennae (IBcrazy blue beam) with Fat shark Dominator goggles. With this setup I can get over 1km of noise free video if flown in the right area's. mw = milli watt, the higher the number the greater the range. I am looking into getting the boscam dual 5.8 monitor for hopefully more range.

To be honest on a Phantom 600mw is real overkill. I get 1.3km clear video from the stock 250mw Fatshark TX and home made cloverleaf antenna (they are the real key to it). With a helical antenna you will get like 5+ miles at 600mw (much more if tuned correctly). Don't take my word on this... watch this:

Ibcrazy is regarded as 'the man' for FPV... he designed the cloverleaf (iirc) and shows in this vid that mw is not everything when talking distance.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNJzDeYqCSM[/youtube]

Assuming you are powering it with the Phantom aux then the less 'mw' the better as it drains near a third of power of a 600mw. To get anywhere near 1km you will need a full range RX like a Spektrum DX8 or Futaba T8J anyway so if you plan to stay stock I'd suggest 250mw + Cloverleafs only. The link you show is heavy and power hungry.... great in a long range plane, not a phantom.

If you buy a non Fatshark then you will need cloverleafs with Reversed Polavised SMA connections.... if you buy Immerscion or Fatshark just SMA ones (which have the little pin sticking out in the connector).

As for gimbals.... I know a few that are using that and have had no problems, I also know a few that use it as a paperweight. If it is setup right in China and the board is correctly done then it should be fine... it is a gamble though. AeroXcraft or Tarot seem to be the most regarded non Zenmuse items.

Hope that helps.

No probs. I doubt it will make a huge amount of difference as it is very little draw compared to say a motor (or 4) but physics dictates it has to make some difference. I found my 250mw starts to break up just at the edge of the T8J's range but my antenna where really scratch built (wrong thickness wire, crap soldering and a second hand SMA connector!). A pro built item should easily outdo that dependingd on what noise there is in the area (I fly over fields mostly).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31