Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Help Please! Video related challenge Vision 2+

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Smicklos, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Smicklos

I have a need to record video from the air using my drone copter. The camera that is mounted (stock camera) does not have the ability to zoom very well if I am flying at 150+ feet in the air.

I have to imagine that I am not the only one who wants to record video that is far enough away to not be able to use a POV camera. I was thinking something just like what is mounted with a zoom feature (so I can use the software to control the camera while flying the quadcopter)

Is there a gimbal that houses a video camera with an optical or digital zoom feature? A lens or something I can use on a different camera?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:D

2. locoworks

what you need is a different copter and a different camera, the phantom is just not designed for what you want to do.

3. SteveMann

If you want an optical zoom lens, then you will need a copter big enough to lift the camera and lens. Plan on spending upwards of $10,000.
    If you want digital zoom, do it in post. Same difference.

4. Smicklos

I was hoping to use a camcorder of some kind :-(. The phantom 2 has a gimbal for a Mark 5 EOS III which is far heavier than any of my 3 hand held cameras. I am recognizing the issue as not being able to control the video camera functions.

5. Gilbert Gomes

No.

6. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

The biggest gimbal that DJI make is the Zenmuse Z15 and it isn't big enough for a Mark 5
    http://www.dji.com/product/zenmuse-z15/feature
    It weighs 1.3 kg - That's more than a Phantom 2+

The Phantom couldn't even lift the gimbal for the Mark 5 and has no chance of lifting the camera.
    More homework needed.

7. 4wd

4wd

You can sort of zoom by using the narrow field of view at 1080p

8. Smicklos

It appears with this copter My only gimbal choice is go pro and then try to find a third party lens or something to help with zooming ....

9. Smicklos

Maybe something like this with the hero 3 gimbal? http://ragecams.com/shop/16mm-lens-gopr ... p-543.html