Help please lost my p3s

Reaction score
I am seeking help in locating my flyaway p3s.
On 5/8 I flew my drone out 1900 ft over a river, I selected rth and the drone flew back no problems, before it was about to land I cancelled the rth, yet the was no control, I had 10 satellites, I kept getting numerous messages "abnormal compass function" and "aircraft switched to Atti mode.
I tried to rth over and over, I even tried to combination stick command all while in site. Yet the drone continued to fly away inland.
I followed the map to were the drone "should be" although upon searching the area with the help of a friend and his drone was unable to locate.
My confusion is that the flight log does not show the drone drifting away, nor were the drone ends up, just a red triangle around a mile away, why is this?
Drone was calibrated and I was flying in GPS mode

IMG_2917.PNG

Information on your tablet will show the last position before connection broke.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I am seeking help in locating my flyaway p3s.
On 5/8 I flew my drone out 1900 ft over a river, I selected rth and the drone flew back no problems, before it was about to land I cancelled the rth, yet the was no control, I had 10 satellites, I kept getting numerous messages "abnormal compass function" and "aircraft switched to Atti mode.
I tried to rth over and over, I even tried to combination stick command all while in site. Yet the drone continued to fly away inland.
I followed the map to were the drone "should be" although upon searching the area with the help of a friend and his drone was unable to locate.
My confusion is that the flight log does not show the drone drifting away, nor were the drone ends up, just a red triangle around a mile away, why is this?
Drone was calibrated and I was flying in GPS mode

Hi,
Found the location on the maps. As I suspected there are transmitters nearby.
I'd say you got some serious interference from the coast guard station you were flying next to. This would explain the compass going nuts.

A few points, first you say you tried to do a RTH. But how did you try this, by the app or the controller's S2 switch ?
Next did you try to set the S1 switch in A mode (ATTI) and just fly the drone when you saw the RTH wasn't working ?
And lastly, not sure if that red drone icon is where it ended up, but if it did in the middle of all those homes you know someone found it long before you drive there yourself. Did you have any contact info on the drone itself, like a phone number.

So if the drone is lost and flying away selecting atti and manuely bring it near your position would help then right?Sorry not trying to hijack this post but just learn and maybe try to help.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using PhantomPilots mobile app

So if the drone is lost and flying away selecting atti and manuely bring it near your position would help then right?Sorry not trying to hijack this post but just learn and maybe try to help.

In most cases you will be kicked from P to ATTI mode regardless of switch position if compass or GPS error happens. If not, switching to ATTI and bringing it in manually is way to go. Flying Phantom in ATTI was my day two schedule when I bought it. If you are aware of what's happening and don't panic you'll probably be fine even with minimum skills in non assisted flying.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using PhantomPilots mobile app

A few points, first you say you tried to do a RTH. But how did you try this, by the app or the controller's S2 switch ?
Next did you try to set the S1 switch in A mode (ATTI) and just fly the drone when you saw the RTH wasn't working ?
And lastly, not sure if that red drone icon is where it ended up, but if it did in the middle of all those homes you know someone found it long before you drive there yourself. Did you have any contact info on the drone itself, like a phone number.
Rth was in progress, when it got within 100ft I cancelled rth, still flying in gps mode, although that's when it all went loopy! I was using go app yes, and didn't adjust the mode, as drone was drifting away I went into the settings menu and again tried to set the home point, I even did a combination stick command to no avail.

So if the drone is lost and flying away selecting atti and manually bring it near your position would help then right?Sorry not trying to hijack this post but just learn and maybe try to help.

Yes, if the compass and/or the GPS has gone bad. Using RTH is the worst this to use because it relies on these to know where it's going. So anytime you have eyeballs on the drone and the software, compass or GPS go down switch the S1 to A mode and fly manually. But remember if it's windy, it's all you flying the drone as you have no GPS giving you a helping hand. Of course the RC will still need a connection to the drone even in ATTI mode, meaning the light on the controller will be GREEN.

Rth was in progress, when it got within 100ft I cancelled rth, still flying in gps mode, although that's when it all went loopy! I was using go app yes, and didn't adjust the mode, as drone was drifting away I went into the settings menu and again tried to set the home point, I even did a combination stick command to no avail.
It's water under the bridge now, so take this as it's meant, to learn by. Never try to mess with the setting, like updating a home point during an emergency. The best thing would have been to switch the S1 to the middle (A mode) and just fly it manually back to you and land.

Ok but losing gps and compass will not affect video feed so you can bring it back right?because i guess once you lose gpa,compass and video you are basicly screwed.

The next best thing would have been to use the S2 switch and start the RTH that way, it sometimes works when the app RTH does not.
And lastly when all else fails, turning off the RC power will cause the drone's failsafe to kick in and RTH, if you had set it that way from the start in the settings.

Ok but losing gps and compass will not affect video feed so you can bring it back right?because i guess once you lose gpa,compass and video you are basicly screwed.

Yes and no. Even if you have a video feed and the compass + GPS is not working correctly, you can't trust the drone icon on your display as being true, but if you still have FPV and know the area you can just fly back.
And no to your last point, your not screwed if you still have a green light on the RC and you use ATTI mode, it helps if you can still see the drone.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers