Help please - gimbal stutter

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I flew my P3 today for the first time today. Bright sunshine and calm (unusual for here!). The P3 flew perfectly and keen to see the quality of the camera I set it on the maximum 4k setting. I took it back home an looked at the video. It was quite disappointing and had not quite jello, but a noticeable shimmer. I think 4k was too much for my computer, which is fairly new and I thought up to the job.

Anyway, I charged up the lipo and set of again. This time I recorded at 1080p 48. There was a slight breeze. I took the P3 home and played back the video. The image quality was excellent, but every two or three seconds there was a definite shudder as if the camera was shaken. It was not jello or the computer (I have a P2 Vision plus)

Any advice would be appreciated. I am sure I have missed something, but wonder if I have a faulty gimbal. I have removed the foam packing, taken the plastic lens protector off and checked the gimbal rubbers etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Iain

Thanks for that. I checked the balance of the props before flying and they seemed ok. There appears to be a definite pause when things are fine and then the whole image will shudder, settle and then about a few seconds later it does it again. I have been thinking about it and wonder if my sd card might be the problem. I used a Sandisk extreme 64gb class 10. I will try the original card that came with the P3. The shudder can also be seen playing back from the machine to my iPad. Iain

Thanks, where I live, we have 512k broadband, which is iffy at the best! I would love to be able to post it.
I have found that recording in 4K has made me question the value of the P3P as the PC has to be really fast and you cant put it on the TV unless you have a 4K one. You certainly cant play the files direct from the Micro SD card!
I will probably have to use one of the 1080 settings - maybe I should have got the advance version?

Loving the quality of the Lightbridge - awesome!!!

I have found that recording in 4K has made me question the value of the P3P as the PC has to be really fast and you cant put it on the TV unless you have a 4K one. You certainly cant play the files direct from the Micro SD card!
I will probably have to use one of the 1080 settings - maybe I should have got the advance version?

Loving the quality of the Lightbridge - awesome!!!
Why? If SD card is enough fast to write 4k video surely is enough fast to read them.

I can view both file formats MOV and MP4 from the provided SD Card via my MacBook Air and QuickTime Viewer for 4K 30fps content.
The included card is pretty much the nicest, fastest SD Card on the market. I also have the same model in 64GB size for my GoPro H4B

Recording in 4K and Downsampling to 1080p in a professional video editor produces better video than recording in 1080p. Google it. There's lots of explanations about colors, detail, sharpening, etc.
Thanks again for your advice. I am going out shortly to try out the card supplied with the P3. I will let you know how I get on. Iain

Sorry if this sounds stupid but did you take out the piece of foam packing out from behind the gimbal? The shimmer you mention, could that be when you were flying towards the sun?

Thanks again for your help guys. I flew her again a short time ago with the supplied SD card. Very little difference and the shake is still there. As stated, I removed the foam protection from the gimbal. I have re-sized the video and have tried to upload it, but it won't allow me to put it here.

I would describe the shake as a side to side movement. It is not the sun, but as if the camera was being held and shaken from side to side.

One thing that did worry me was how it was packed. The Phantom box was inside a large box with no padding, allowing it to get thrown about. The gimbal lock was off.

I am disappointed as my P2V+ produces perfect smooth video. I got it from Quadcopters, so hopefully they will be able to sort it out.

Iain

Last edited:
Just something to try... Do an advanced imu calibration on a very level surface then do a gimbal calibration on same surface.

Sorry if this sounds stupid but did you take out the piece of foam packing out from behind the gimbal? The shimmer you mention, could that be when you were flying towards the sun?

This is exactly what i didnt do!! got scared about the the jello but of course i did not remove the foam!!
it is well hidden!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik